The Student Room Group

Nick Griffin suspended from Twitter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by chefdave
I saw the word "demo" in there yes, have you actually read the tweet? :confused:

Yes, I have. Maybe the sticking point is the word "peaceful", which you inserted?
Reply 61
Original post by jamie092
I'm not sure what I think on this one. I feel that you can't really put someone in jail for threatening to protest. If a protest actually occurs and the couple get harassed then that's another story.

Also on the subject of the B&B case, while I think that kind of discrimination is disgusting, I don't think it's ok for the law to force owners to take in guests against their will.

You can charge someone for incitement to violence, which is plainly what Griffin was attempting.
Reply 62
Original post by UCLEmily
You can charge someone for incitement to violence, which is plainly what Griffin was attempting.

Not really. How is it 'incentment'?
Reply 63
Original post by snozzle
Not really. How is it 'incentment'?

Are you in the BNP? Can you read? The BNP are rallying to this one. Will you be joining the violence?

This is what Griffin said.

"So Messrs Black & Morgan, at [their address]. A British Justice team will come up to Huntington & give you a..." then "...bit of drama by way of reminding you that an English couple's home is their castle."

So, he said that a "British Justice team" (whatever that is exactly) will be visiting their address in Huntingdon to give them a.... (unspecified) - which is clearly and absolutely a threat of violence, as anyone in normal English would infer he meant "give them a kicking" or similar.
Reply 64
Will all BNP members and supporters of Nick Griffin posting here please make their allegiance clear, rather than posing as people concerned with issues of free speech.
Reply 65

By law you can (that's if a judge rules (it's not obvious) that he was inciting violence). But if we're talking morals then you can't use laws as a justification.
Reply 66
You could construe it as intimidation, but:

1) The couple involved weren't the least bit intimidated by Griffin's tweets, Michael Black said the demo would be difficult to organise because they "live in a small village and there's nowhere to park". Does this sound like a statement made by somebode scared out of their wits to you? As usual the PC/liberal-lefty/Twitterati crowd are revelling in feeling offended/imtimidated on somebody else's behalf, even when the person in question doesn't give a hoot.

2) What about hateful slogans such as "smash the BNP", should the peddlers of these messages be arrested for incitement to violence? somehow I suspect you find a way to justify your own hate :rolleyes:

1) just because they were not intimidated does not mean he was not trying to intimidate them.

2) it depends on the message and the context. "smash the BNP" is not necessarily violent since "smash" is often used to simply mean beat. other messages could be overtly or implicitly more violent, and should be treated as such.

lets turn this around and imagine if somebody, lets say, took a picture of Nick Griffin's house and posted it on the internet saying "nice house, it would be a shame if something happened to it". nothing overtly violent is being said, but it is quite clearly a threat and you would have to be a complete moron to deny it. in the same way telling somebody that people are coming round to show them a bit of drama is clearly intimidating
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
I think he's an appalling human being and I'm shocked that Oxford University even accepted him in the first place. Racism, homophobia, sexism, fraud and theft, Nick Griffin and his party are finished.
good, dickhead
Reply 69
Original post by Fires
Are you in the BNP? Can you read? The BNP are rallying to this one. Will you be joining the violence?

This is what Griffin said.

"So Messrs Black & Morgan, at [their address]. A British Justice team will come up to Huntington & give you a..." then "...bit of drama by way of reminding you that an English couple's home is their castle."

So, he said that a "British Justice team" (whatever that is exactly) will be visiting their address in Huntingdon to give them a.... (unspecified) - which is clearly and absolutely a threat of violence, as anyone in normal English would infer he meant "give them a kicking" or similar.

Sorry if he actually spoke the words and implied violence then then I agree, but you can't assume tone and manner of speaking from written words. Although I imagine a jury would find implied violence in there. I admit to me it feels as though the "..."'s are suggesting that he can't say what he'll do on twitter, but you can guess for yourself. Which is implied violence. But not everyone takes the same meaning.

The other thing is that the way the article is written, I can't tell if the "..."s are part of what he said, or if they're there to stand in for filler, and the two are just separate quotes as the authors use of quotation marks suggests.
Original post by thunder_chunky
That's pretty good, I RT'ed that.

That's cool, hehe. I thought you might appreciate it..considering the pun you made previous I thought it was apt.
Reply 71
Original post by lucaf
right, because that is totally what I said :rolleyes:

if he wanted to encourage peaceful protest he could have done so without making what is clearly an open threat to the couple. and you cannot argue that it wasn't a threat, it is as subtle as "if I don't get my money me and the boys may pay you a little visit later". he may not be directly calling for violence, and he may not actually intend for people to start any violence, but he is clearly trying to make this couple feel unsafe in their own home, and you are defending him.

Personally I think it was an incredibly stupid thing to say, if he's unhappy with the judgement why not hold a demo outside parliament or the court? Protesting the couple won't make a shred of difference if the legal system is at fault. Asking for the address also demonstrated uncharacteristically poor judgement. But he hasn't caused the couple any harm so I can't see why he needs to have his collar felt by a policeforce with perhaps more important things to do? For this sort of "crime" the court of public opinion is more than capable of dishing out the appropriate punishment. We won't gain anything with yet another Griffin show trial to affirm how 'caring' and PC we are.
Reply 72
Original post by Bellissima
good, dickhead

Hatespeech.

Off to the gulag.
My biggest issue, strangely, is where he said "Say no to heterophobia." Now don't get me wrong I don't agree with heterophobia but what is he referring to? Because I don't understand what he's classing as heterophobia. There was no hate for/discrimination against heterosexual people as far as I could tell. Sure, they sued the B&B owners but if anything they bought it on themselves. A precedent needed to be set to make it clear that you can't get away with discrimination.
Reply 74
Yes, I have. Maybe the sticking point is the word "peaceful", which you inserted?

BNP demos are always peaceful from the BNP's side (it's the "anti-facists" who want to go around smashing the place up) so the demo -if there was one- would have followed the letter of the law and not breached the peace.

There's no reason to suggest it would have been violent, who were they going to be attack? Themselves? :biggrin:
We definitely do not live in a free country.
Reply 76
Original post by lucaf
1) just because they were not intimidated does not mean he was not trying to intimidate them.

2) it depends on the message and the context. "smash the BNP" is not necessarily violent since "smash" is often used to simply mean beat. other messages could be overtly or implicitly more violent, and should be treated as such.

lets turn this around and imagine if somebody, lets say, took a picture of Nick Griffin's house and posted it on the internet saying "nice house, it would be a shame if something happened to it". nothing overtly violent is being said, but it is quite clearly a threat and you would have to be a complete moron to deny it. in the same way telling somebody that people are coming round to show them a bit of drama is clearly intimidating

So he should get banged up for incitement to intimidation? I can't even get my head around that concept!
Reply 77
So he should get banged up for incitement to intimidation? I can't even get my head around that concept!

The tweet itself was clearly designed to be intimidating: as you said, it's not the fact that he wanted a demo that was the problem, it was where he wanted to do it. If he wants publicity for his cause, why not protest at the Ministry of Justice, or the Commons?

If an Englishman's home really is his castle, he should be able to go about his business without people protesting outside it.

I suspect this is actually just a ploy on Griffin's part to distract attention from the fact that the party only has one MEP now...
He didn't just "reveal their address" (although that's not exactly reasonable), he urged people to harass them and made coded suggestions they be attacked.

Again, if you are stupid enough to commit a crime because you have been "urged" to do so by an idiot on twitter, then you are the one who deserves to be locked up for your crimes.

Incitement to a crime is not a problem - it's the idiots who take incitement to a crime seriously enough to commit it that is the problem.

You can ban incitement to crime if you like, but there's still going to be a lot of stupid, ignorant people out there. You're not fixing the problem by banning incitement, you're just hiding it.

This one is bringing out the gay-haters on TSR - depressing that there are so many people around who feel this kind of behaviour is OK.

I'm not a gay hater, I'm not a British nationalist, I'm extremely anti-religion and anti-homophobia and I very rarely agree with much that comes out of the mouth of Nick Griffin.

My personal belief in the particular case is that the anti-gay religious nutters who banned gay people from their bnb are idiots. That said, I believe that they should reserve the right to do custom with whoever they like, and refuse custom to whoever they like. I'm fairly confident that without legislation, natural market forces would sort these business owners out anyway. As I said before, I'm fairly sure these people lost more money from the bad publicity for their business than through court fees and damages... and they'll be out of business not before long anyway.

Anyway, as I said, I don't agree with Nick Griffin's comments, but I think he should have the right to say anything he likes.

His stupid comments are laughable at best - but not criminal. However, if there are people stupid enough to act on his laughable comments, then yes, they should be convicted for them.
Were they just "offended"? Or were they trying to use a public service and had it barred from them because of their sexual orientation?

It wasn't a public service, it was a private service.

And yes, there were just offended. They were offended, and they had to cancel a holiday. They should have any payments they had already made refunded, and not much else.

They weren't physically hurt, they weren't abused, and nothing was stolen from them. I don't see a problem.

Obviously I don't agree with the views of the bnb owners and I think they're morons and that their views are abhorrent. But I still think that they should be able to refuse anyone their custom for any reason, as they are running a private business. If the way they do business goes against the grain of society, then natural market forces will soon sort them out without the need for convictions, lawsuits, and the payment of damages.

Gay couple offended by hardened Christians. It's not news, it's not surprising and it's not worthy of an expensive law suit.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending