The Student Room Group

Nido Student Accomodation Notting Hill?

Hi :smile:

I'm looking for a place near Kensington for September 2013 and Nido in Notting Hill looks pretty good.
Has anyone ever lived there before? Is the single studio worth the money?

Thanks!
Hi spwills,

Nido Notting Hill is a great residence and also our newest at Nido! Have a look at our student satisfaction survey to see what our students think at Nido Notting Hill.

A Single Studio has all modern facilities and furniture you would need, and all your bills and internet are included. 24/7 gym, screening room, games spaces, reception, maintenance, Residence Life are also all included and make your stay hassle-free. If you would like some more info on the Singles Studio have a look here. Or feel free to come for a tour Monday-Friday 9am-5pm every hour on the hour. Reservations is very happy to show you around!

We also recently introduced a Nido Shuttle service which goes every 20 minutes from Nido Notting Hill - Ladbroke Grove station - Notting Hill Gate station.

Hope this helps you!
Original post by spwills
Hi :smile:

I'm looking for a place near Kensington for September 2013 and Nido in Notting Hill looks pretty good.
Has anyone ever lived there before? Is the single studio worth the money?

Thanks!

Hi, don't know if you've decided or not but thought I would reply!

I am studying in London in Sept 2013 too and went to look around Nido Notting Hill the other week for accommodation. I have to say, I have visited many London accommodations... Unite, Spaces, Mansion Student, you name it. But the studios at Nido were seriously way better standard then all the others. Waaaaaay better. I was tempted to get the £289 one because the canal view really is lovely, but ended up putting a deposit on the £269 one for a skyline view.

I can't wait to start it's so good.

The staff were very very friendly when I went to view around. The gym/washers/lounge was all exceptional, and the fact it even has a gym made it stand out from other accommodation. One thing I was particularly taken aback by was a vending machine in the lounge that served hot pizza:smile::smile::smile: I couldn't believe it haha.

If you don't want to pay that much I also viewed the apartments and they were very very nice and I think the cheapest is like £189?

Hope to hear back from you, and perhaps see you in Sept!!
Reply 3
This is obviously too late but do not stay at Nido Notting Hill.
I went to boarding school and therefore have spent 8 years living in multiple student housing dorms. This is by far the most disgusting, ill-equipped student housing I have ever seen, and it's not even in a nice area.
First, it is not Notting Hill. It is on the very outskirts of everything. All stores close at 5. This means all street lights go out about that time. DO NOT stay here if you are a woman as there will be no women to be seen on the streets after about 7:30 on any given day. There will only be leering men who will look at you like a sex worker if you dare show any skin or hair. The facilities are sup-par. The beds are nothing but metal springs. The lights in both my bathrooms ( I had a double) went out and stayed out for 5 days. The day they went out (Saturday morning) I filled a report and was told there was nothing they could do about it until Monday because maintenance is only there Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Monday morning I double checked that the lights would be fixed that day and was told they would get to me first. By Monday evening when I had returned from class, my lights were still out and I was told they would be fixed on Wednesday. It is very difficult to shower and use the toilet in utter darkness.
Speaking of showers, don't expect any sort of water pressure whatsoever from your shower because water pressure at Nido is nill. The shower is also a 3 inch X 3 in box that bursts hot and cold water when it pleases and the shower heads are pointed so far to the side one must push ones body all the way against the filthy tile to get wet. And don't expect to be able to shave in the shower because you cannot bend over. There is simply not enough room. One must shave ones legs in the sink. My kitchen set came incomplete and I had to ask twice to get cups. The water kettle was broken and would constantly boil over. Some sort of liquid was always leaking from some unknown place and unto the hob. The microwave takes about 12 minutes to re-heat anything. The sheets have been worn to threads and are stained and disgusting; the pillows are that in name only and it would be better to sleep with your head resting on a few rolled tee shirts than a "pillow" as they claim it. The laundry will cost you about 6 pound per load, which is absurd.
And on top of all that, there is no one to be reached to voice these complaints if you are a student and actually go to class because those in charge keep such wonderful hours (for themselves only). Sam, the woman at the top, arrives to work around about 8:00 and leaves well before 5:00. What a wonderful life. If only I could work so little.

All in all I would say I would have rather wasted my money on a youth hostel, a hotel, or a nice yoga mat and lived on a friends floor than to have lived in this slum.
Reply 4
Original post by lm47967n
This is obviously too late but do not stay at Nido Notting Hill.
I went to boarding school and therefore have spent 8 years living in multiple student housing dorms. This is by far the most disgusting, ill-equipped student housing I have ever seen, and it's not even in a nice area.
First, it is not Notting Hill. It is on the very outskirts of everything. All stores close at 5. This means all street lights go out about that time. DO NOT stay here if you are a woman as there will be no women to be seen on the streets after about 7:30 on any given day. There will only be leering men who will look at you like a sex worker if you dare show any skin or hair. The facilities are sup-par. The beds are nothing but metal springs. The lights in both my bathrooms ( I had a double) went out and stayed out for 5 days. The day they went out (Saturday morning) I filled a report and was told there was nothing they could do about it until Monday because maintenance is only there Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Monday morning I double checked that the lights would be fixed that day and was told they would get to me first. By Monday evening when I had returned from class, my lights were still out and I was told they would be fixed on Wednesday. It is very difficult to shower and use the toilet in utter darkness.
Speaking of showers, don't expect any sort of water pressure whatsoever from your shower because water pressure at Nido is nill. The shower is also a 3 inch X 3 in box that bursts hot and cold water when it pleases and the shower heads are pointed so far to the side one must push ones body all the way against the filthy tile to get wet. And don't expect to be able to shave in the shower because you cannot bend over. There is simply not enough room. One must shave ones legs in the sink. My kitchen set came incomplete and I had to ask twice to get cups. The water kettle was broken and would constantly boil over. Some sort of liquid was always leaking from some unknown place and unto the hob. The microwave takes about 12 minutes to re-heat anything. The sheets have been worn to threads and are stained and disgusting; the pillows are that in name only and it would be better to sleep with your head resting on a few rolled tee shirts than a "pillow" as they claim it. The laundry will cost you about 6 pound per load, which is absurd.
And on top of all that, there is no one to be reached to voice these complaints if you are a student and actually go to class because those in charge keep such wonderful hours (for themselves only). Sam, the woman at the top, arrives to work around about 8:00 and leaves well before 5:00. What a wonderful life. If only I could work so little.

All in all I would say I would have rather wasted my money on a youth hostel, a hotel, or a nice yoga mat and lived on a friends floor than to have lived in this slum.

Buddy,
Im looking to stay at Nido in Notting Hill for an entire year starting Sept'14.
Clearly, your experience has been unsatifactory and is now making me doubt my decision.
I need simple advise from you on 2 points:

1) How does this accommodation compare to other student accommodations in London? (How would you rate it relative to other student dorms, in terms of the building, rooms, common areas, facilities etc. As to the best of my knowledge Nido is one of the best accommodation providers in London)

2) Where else would you choose to stay in London in a similar frame of budget that Nido in Notting Hill falls under?

Appreciate your advise and suggestions if any!
Thanks
I am an international student and looking to stay in that accommodation too and now i'm doubting my decision, do you have any other suggestions? i prefer single bed room with wifi and bills included around 150-300 maximum pay per week near notting hill area.
Hello all,

We wanted to let you know that there have been some changes in recent months at Nido. We’ve recently re-branded; the new Nido is focused on creating a next-to-none experience for our residents, which covers all aspects of our residents' time with us from the events we put on to the smallest details. To that end, we have an extensive re-development plan in the works, spanning all residences. In addition, we have an exciting range of speaker events to connect you to the ‘secrets of success’ find out more via our Resident Interns.

With the help of our residents, we’re developing an environment that we hope will comfort, inspire and excite.
Hello. I was living in Nido spitalfields. And this was post their re-branding and all that. DO NOT RENT THIS PLACE. It is not worth your buck. The maintenance is useless. They will never fix anything on time. The staff is very unfriendly. They do NOT help you whatsoever if anything. They once that have collected their deposits do not care for you at all. The rooms are tiny and the shower condition as explained before is horrible and unfortunately true. I would suggest for you to look up urbanest.
Hi gracesingh,

We apologise for any service issues you experienced while staying at Nido Spitalfields. We have recently restructured each building team to ensure all of our residents receive prompt and effective service from our reception and maintenance teams. Our room sizes do vary from 19.3 sqm to 44.5 sqm however we’re always happy to accommodate room change requests.

We’re sorry we couldn’t make your stay more enjoyable while you were at Nido but really appreciate your feedback.

If you’d like to speak to us directly, please feel free to contact Clint Bartman, our Nido Spitalfields Residence Manager on [email removed by mod, please PM instead]

Best regards,
The Nido Collection
I'm staying in Nido Spitalfields this year, DO NOT stay here.
There is no oven, only a "convection oven" in the microwave which doesn't cook anything even at the highest temperature, and the freezer fits a loaf of bread and nothing else, not really that useful if you want to cook things in big batches and freeze them to save money... The shower, as mentioned above, is too small to bend over in and we had to get the drain serviced 3 times in as many weeks. Because of the recent "team restructuring" the post office is only open 8-10 pm on weekdays, meaning you can't get there if you're at Uni or working late, or simply because you're out. If you do perchance get there when it's open, there is one person working meaning a massive queue. While most of the staff are friendly and helpful there are a small few who essentially ignore you. The laundry system is a hassle, requiring you to pay online, receive a text, go downstairs and enter an extremely long code into a machine, then go to the laundry room where 50% of the time something breaks, or varying machines will be out of service (at one point there were 10 machines for a building of over 1000 people). The gym is a dark basement with a few machines and weights, no water machine, no regulation and no antibacterial wipes for the machines after use. The building itself is still unfinished with workmen making a racket at 8 am and never seeming to actually get anywhere, and is grey and concrete inside. Of the three lifts servicing the lower 15 floors, only one is working, so be prepared for a long wait to get out of the building (ONE of these lifts will be fixed in a few months...) The maintenance staff are very friendly and efficient; however, as a result of a cheaply made building and short staffing it can take a long while to get things fixed.
All in all, not worth the extortionate fee they ask of you.
Hi Cookies_96,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have passed this onto the House team. If you haven’t done so already, please contact your House Manager on or the Front of House team so we can address your points more effectively.

Thanks,
The Nido Team
I have been living in Nido Notting Hill (now Chapter Portobello) for over months now and am very disappointed in my living situation. The building was falsely advertised. Though it might technically be in Notting Hill, the location is definitely more in the Ladbroke Grove/Kensal neighbourhood. Portobello Road is not really very close (25 min walking to the closest end of it - not the Notting Hill Gate end of it) and the area right around the building is by no means an 'up and coming' area.' I actually feel very unsafe here, especially at night. The canal is not lit at all, nor is the park that you go through on the way to Westbourne Park tube station. There is only a grocery store nearby, nothing else within walking distance. The rooms themselves are small, there is no oven, just a stove and microwave. There is only a mini fridge in each apartment also. The front desk staff on the whole are not very welcoming and do not respond to front desk emails very promptly - if at all. No sense of community in the residence as it's half empty (couldn't sell the majority of rooms). The guest policy is good, however, renting a cot (which is necessary since the beds are extremely small) is 30 pounds a night which is double the price of a hostel. Overall, ridiculously overpriced and does not meet expectations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending