The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Buying Apartment: What are the nice areas, and what are the areas to avoid?

I'm currently 23 years old and I'm going to be doing the Open-plus route in Physics, progressing into second year at Lancaster.

Rather than getting student accomodation, I'm seriously considering getting my own Pad and wondered which areas to avoid? I've been told to avoid North of the river, but I was intending on living as South as possible anyways.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
North of the River and Marsh are supposed to be pretty grim. Hala looks grim from the bus but probably isn't that bad. Bowerham is nice enough. Greaves is nice, but quite from the city centre. I live in Moorgate and it's OK. I don't know too much about west of the railway station. Some of it looks rough, some of it is OK.

But the general consensus is that even Marsh is safe compared to a lot of other cities.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Well I'm from Oldham, Manchester; so most places will probably be safer than here, haha. Cheers for the advice though. I guess living in Student Halls for a year may be a good bet? Just I'll be 25 by that time, so I don't want to feel old :P
Reply 3
If you want a sick pad to jam out in, get a flat at Aalborg Place, the apartments are the nicest in the city and although quite expensive, they are not much more than living on campus and very reasonabbly priced for what they are.

Check out these listings:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-24261510.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-24490323.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-36042733.html

The block of apartments is very conveniently located and many of them have canal view balconys. I currently live there and couldn't be happier! But they are quite pricey.
I'll definitely check it all out. And I was actually after buying something upto the £200k mark, anything less would just be a bonus.
Reply 5
I think most places in Lancaster are safe enough. The main things to consider are why you want it. Do you plan to go by bus or bike, if bike you will want to be closer to the uni and probably near the cycle track otherwise look at the bus routes. The routes for 2 and 4 are slightly slower generally but may be quicker at peak times, if you can get on any bus your life is simpler. How close to the middle of town do you want to be. You may want to live a bit further out for the peace and quiet or be closer to the supermarket to avoid having to lugg shopping home.

Also hello from a fellow physicist.
I think I may as well live in halls in the first year in that case. You've brought to light a fair few good points.

How are you finding physics at Lancaster, btw?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by AnnunakiMassacr
I'll definitely check it all out. And I was actually after buying something upto the £200k mark, anything less would just be a bonus.

Wow, you're very lucky to have such money!

Even more luckily, the apartments I listed cost around £150k to purchase :tongue:
I've seen some apartments around the £150k range, and I have to say: I'm very impressed.

I've even thought of investing in student accommodation. Any advice from anyone?

By that I mean buying a big townhouse with no mortgage, but giving students cheaper accommodation to cover expenses and making a bit on the side
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by AnnunakiMassacr
I've seen some apartments around the £150k range, and I have to say: I'm very impressed.

I've even thought of investing in student accommodation. Any advice from anyone?

By that I mean buying a big townhouse with no mortgage, but giving students cheaper accommodation to cover expenses and making a bit on the side

If you know what you're doing and think you can handle the responsibility I say do it. There's a shortage of decent modern private accommodation for students, and it's also more difficult for a student to rent privately, landlords would rather rent to older people with jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest