The Student Room Group

Anyone received offers for Psychology yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by chocoholic_x
Aha, right I sort of had this problem. My psychology teacher wanted me to modify my PS in one way, my TSR helper gave the exact opposite advise. But then, I went to my Head of Sixth, whose an English teacher, and he said that my PS was ready to send off, and he only gave me a couple grammatical corrections. So, in the end I went with my Head of Sixth because I felt he had the most experience so I guess I would advise you do the same? :smile:

Oh wow. That's precisely my scenario XD My head of sixth is an English teacher and he gave me a few minor edits to make. I made those, and gave it for him to read (over the weekend)

I showed the TSR people and they made a LOT of changes. So I'm kinda stuck. But hearing about you reassured me that it's best to just go with our head of sixth's advice. Thanks a lot...if I see you at Bristol next year, I'll know who to thank! :wink:
Reply 61
I'm applying for Psychology next year and I've got offers from Plymouth, UWE Bristol, Bath Spa, Anglia Ruskin & Lincoln :smile: I'm hoping I'll do better than expected and go through clearing next year to Cardiff though... fingers crossed..
Aha, right I sort of had this problem. My psychology teacher wanted me to modify my PS in one way, my TSR helper gave the exact opposite advise. But then, I went to my Head of Sixth, whose an English teacher, and he said that my PS was ready to send off, and he only gave me a couple grammatical corrections. So, in the end I went with my Head of Sixth because I felt he had the most experience so I guess I would advise you do the same? :smile:

Firstly, well done for getting psychology offers! :smile: If you have any questions about psychology at Bristol do ask. However, I'd really recommend to everyone else to go with the PS Helpers' advice. I'm not just saying that as a PS Helper -- in fact, as a PS Helper I only realise more the usefulness of the system. Your Head of Sixth may have more life/career experience, and certainly has more authority, but I think PS Helpers have equal/more PS experience. Just one PS Helper can have looked at hundreds and hundreds of statements! The newer helpers are trained by the experienced one, so everyone knows how to do things properly. Basically: go with the PS Helper's advice! :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by punctuation
Firstly, well done for getting psychology offers! :smile: If you have any questions about psychology at Bristol do ask. However, I'd really recommend to everyone else to go with the PS Helpers' advice. I'm not just saying that as a PS Helper -- in fact, as a PS Helper I only realise more the usefulness of the system. Your Head of Sixth may have more life/career experience, and certainly has more authority, but I think PS Helpers have equal/more PS experience. Just one PS Helper can have looked at hundreds and hundreds of statements! The newer helpers are trained by the experienced one, so everyone knows how to do things properly. Basically: go with the PS Helper's advice! :biggrin:

greaaaaaaaaaat :/ this basically means I have to re-write a LOT of my PS, despite my head of sixth saying it was pretty good? :frown:
Original post by punctuation

Thank you! :biggrin: Oh yes, I actually do have a question. On the website, under the course structure, it simply says "Three lecture units and two seminar units selected from a list of possible options plus final-year project", for the third year. Of course, I understand there will be variations year on year, but I was wondering whether you knew what the typical list of third year options are? Because, as all psychology degrees are pretty similar due to the BPS requirements, the third year modules is quite a big factor for me. :smile:
As for the TSR PS Helpers, I suppose you are right. :smile: I did take into account what my PS Helper advised and did very much appreciate what she said (so much so, I asked for her advice again after I had redrafted my personal statement!). However, when it came to one issue where my psychology teacher and my PS Helper literally advised exact opposite things, I thought perhaps it would be best meet them halfway and go with my Head of Sixth.
Reply 65
Original post by Natster
I just got my first offer for Psychology at Cardiff!

They were the only uni who I hadn't got an acknowledgement from yet so I was very surprised! :smile:

You're so lucky :frown: I don't suppose you wanna swap grades with me so I can go to Cardiff instead, do you? :wink:
Reply 66
Original post by amyeldr3d
Sent off my application on 24th of October, and I have 4 offers so far :smile:

Sheffield - AAB (1st Nov)
Plymouth - ABB (31st Oct)
UWE - 340 points, but I think it goes to down to 280 because I got an A in the AS I dropped, so BBC I would need.. I think haha (26th Oct)
Manchester - AAB (9th Nov)

just waiting on Edinburgh now!!

I've applied/got offers from Plymouth and UWE for Psychology, too! :smile: Have you been to any open days for either?
Reply 67
Thank you! :biggrin: Oh yes, I actually do have a question. On the website, under the course structure, it simply says "Three lecture units and two seminar units selected from a list of possible options plus final-year project", for the third year. Of course, I understand there will be variations year on year, but I was wondering whether you knew what the typical list of third year options are? Because, as all psychology degrees are pretty similar due to the BPS requirements, the third year modules is quite a big factor for me. :smile:

Hey sorry to jump in, but I can answer this bit for you :smile:
In y3 you choose 3 out of 6 lecture units (20 credits each) ad 2 out of 15 seminar units (10 credits each) and a final year project (40 credits).

Lecture courses (per unit) = 18 fifty minute lectures, assessment is 30% c-work and 70% exam.
Seminar units (per unit) = 6 one a a half hour seminars, assessment is 60% c-work and 40% presentation.

Lecture units to pick from are:
-Developmental Disorders
-Nutrition and Behaviour
-Psychology of Language
-Consciousness and Psychology
-Clinical Psychology
-Evolutionary Approaches to Psychology
-Neuropsychiatry

Seminar units: One from each block:

Block 1:
-Psychology of Decision making
-Face Perception
-Principles of working memory
-new evolutionary approaches to old social psych problems
-changing out minds: chemical modulation of cognition

Block 2:
-Genetics, Cognition and Dev Disorders
-The psychology of science
-MRI techniques in exploring the CNS
-Interpersonal Relationships and attachment
-Camouflage

Block 3:
-Ecology of Vision
-Contemporary Psychoanalysis
-Origins of supernatural belief
-Fighting the flab: how to get kids to do more exercise
-Grounded Cognition

They say explicitly that Social Psychology is a small part of the research interests of the department and so it appears sparsely in Y3 modules. They also say there is NO forensic component and the only psychoanalytic seminar unit it taught by an external lecturer as they place little emphasis.

Bristol teach psychology as an experimental science, as you know, so the majority of the 3rd year modules are set up with the aims to equip students for future research into the experimental, biological and cognitive side of psychology. They focus heavily on the CBT aspect of clinical psych and little emphasis is on psychoanalysis.

They have the majority of researchers in Neuropsychology, language Developmental (Bruce Hood specifically) health and perception :smile: although ofc they cover all the BPS requirements and do have research groups in social etc but they are less prominent :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Jackkkkk
Hey sorry to jump in, but I can answer this bit for you :smile:
In y3 you choose 3 out of 6 lecture units (20 credits each) ad 2 out of 15 seminar units (10 credits each) and a final year project (40 credits).

Lecture courses (per unit) = 18 fifty minute lectures, assessment is 30% c-work and 70% exam.
Seminar units (per unit) = 6 one a a half hour seminars, assessment is 60% c-work and 40% presentation.

Lecture units to pick from are:
-Developmental Disorders
-Nutrition and Behaviour
-Psychology of Language
-Consciousness and Psychology
-Clinical Psychology
-Evolutionary Approaches to Psychology
-Neuropsychiatry

Seminar units: One from each block:

Block 1:
-Psychology of Decision making
-Face Perception
-Principles of working memory
-new evolutionary approaches to old social psych problems
-changing out minds: chemical modulation of cognition

Block 2:
-Genetics, Cognition and Dev Disorders
-The psychology of science
-MRI techniques in exploring the CNS
-Interpersonal Relationships and attachment
-Camouflage

Block 3:
-Ecology of Vision
-Contemporary Psychoanalysis
-Origins of supernatural belief
-Fighting the flab: how to get kids to do more exercise
-Grounded Cognition

They say explicitly that Social Psychology is a small part of the research interests of the department and so it appears sparsely in Y3 modules. They also say there is NO forensic component and the only psychoanalytic seminar unit it taught by an external lecturer as they place little emphasis.

Bristol teach psychology as an experimental science, as you know, so the majority of the 3rd year modules are set up with the aims to equip students for future research into the experimental, biological and cognitive side of psychology. They focus heavily on the CBT aspect of clinical psych and little emphasis is on psychoanalysis.

They have the majority of researchers in Neuropsychology, language Developmental (Bruce Hood specifically) health and perception :smile: although ofc they cover all the BPS requirements and do have research groups in social etc but they are less prominent :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:

Oh wow, thanks Jack! :biggrin: Where did you get all this information, at the post-offer open day??

Hmm yes I'd presumed that Bristol didn't put much emphasis on social psychology so I didn't have high expectations for the third year modules. But actually, a lot of them look really interesting, much better than I expected! Especially as evolutionary psychology is something that really interests me also. :biggrin: Although, I'm not sure what I'd choose as my third option for the lecture unit, I almost definitely would go for Consciousness and Psychology and Evolutionary Approaches to Psychology. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :tongue: And who knows, I might suddenly develop a much greater passion for clinical psychology once I start taking a degree in psychology!

But once again, thank you for all that information! Certainly answered my question with great detail. :wink:
Reply 69
Oh wow, thanks Jack! :biggrin: Where did you get all this information, at the post-offer open day??

Hmm yes I'd presumed that Bristol didn't put much emphasis on social psychology so I didn't have high expectations for the third year modules. But actually, a lot of them look really interesting, much better than I expected! Especially as evolutionary psychology is something that really interests me also. :biggrin: Although, I'm not sure what I'd choose as my third option for the lecture unit, I almost definitely would go for Consciousness and Psychology and Evolutionary Approaches to Psychology. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :tongue: And who knows, I might suddenly develop a much greater passion for clinical psychology once I start taking a degree in psychology!

But once again, thank you for all that information! Certainly answered my question with great detail. :wink:

No problem :smile: ummm no I got keen and ended up searching online ages ago through the current student selection and found all the handbooks of information for each year group, like 60 page documents for each year. I then just took all the info i wanted and pasted into a document as I made a spreadsheet with all year 3 modules for my uni choices last year to help me pick a firm :P keen i know aha!

But they had a big board up with the modules on the post offer day too, they didnt talk to much about them, mainly gave mock lectures and then we saw the research labs - which they had lots off :smile:

Yes Consciousness and Psych would defo be an option of mine, and then i think I would also do Developmental Disorders or Evolution and Neuropsyh. But I also really like the idea of Nutrition and Clinical (but then neuropsychiatry is a bit similar). The seminar ones are just amaze though ! But then I realllllyy like all the neuropsych stuff. but then would we not miss a bit of social popped in ! So difficult!
Reply 70
Original post by shannahb
I've applied/got offers from Plymouth and UWE for Psychology, too! :smile: Have you been to any open days for either?

Only Plymouth and I loved it!! Lush city and the course looked sooo good, especially with the new labs and stuff! They are really lenient with grades too. So a definite insurance or firm I reckon :smile: Haven't seen UWE yet, have you?
Reply 71
I've received offers from Exeter - AAA and Sussex - AAB. Also got an interview at Exeter for Applied Psychology (Clinical). Still waiting to hear from UCL and Warwick, anyone got offers from them yet?
Reply 72
Original post by emilyesc
I've received offers from Exeter - AAA and Sussex - AAB. Also got an interview at Exeter for Applied Psychology (Clinical). Still waiting to hear from UCL and Warwick, anyone got offers from them yet?

How long did it take for Exeter to get back to you??
I also have an offer from Sussex and am waiting for warwick :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Sannn
greaaaaaaaaaat :/ this basically means I have to re-write a LOT of my PS, despite my head of sixth saying it was pretty good? :frown:

Aw, don't worry! I'm sure you don't have to rewrite most of it! Even though you're not guaranteed a review, you could try posting your redraft on your original PS thread on TSR, and one of the helpers may look at it for some more tips. It may be a bit disheartening to have to make significant changes, but it will be worth it if it gets you an offer. :smile: However, if you don't have the time to do it, I wouldn't stress too much.

Original post by 8dollar

Last year, Exeter gave me an offer in about a week! :tongue: They're speedy.
Reply 74
Original post by 8dollar

I received their acknowledgement email on the 25th October so roughly just over 2 weeks! Yeah Sussex seem quick to get back to people, good luck with the rest of your choices! :smile:
Reply 75
I've had offers from Cardiff (AAB), Southampton (ABB), Birmingham (AAB) and Exeter (AAA) so far :smile: I'm still waiting on Bath which is my first choice...has anyone heard from them yet for Psychology?
Reply 76
Original post by HannahMP
I've had offers from Cardiff (AAB), Southampton (ABB), Birmingham (AAB) and Exeter (AAA) so far :smile: I'm still waiting on Bath which is my first choice...has anyone heard from them yet for Psychology?

Wow Well done ! I didnt realise southampton give out ABB!
Ive also applied to Bath but they normal wait till the january 15th deadline before they make any decisions!
What are you predicted and what do you take if you dont mind me asking :smile: ?
Reply 77
Just received my second offer, for Sheffield :smile:

Reply 78
Original post by Jackkkkk
Wow Well done ! I didnt realise southampton give out ABB!
Ive also applied to Bath but they normal wait till the january 15th deadline before they make any decisions!
What are you predicted and what do you take if you dont mind me asking :smile: ?

Thank you, I'm so relieved! I'm doing the extended project, so providing I get an A in that, Southampton have lowered my offer to ABB. If not it's AAB :smile: I absolutely loved Bath, it's such a good course and the actual uni is amazing. So fingers crossed. Hope you get an offer! I'm predicted A* in English lit and lang, A* in psychology, A in Biology and an A in my extended project. What about you? Where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by HannahMP
Thank you, I'm so relieved! I'm doing the extended project, so providing I get an A in that, Southampton have lowered my offer to ABB. If not it's AAB :smile: I absolutely loved Bath, it's such a good course and the actual uni is amazing. So fingers crossed. Hope you get an offer! I'm predicted A* in English lit and lang, A* in psychology, A in Biology and an A in my extended project. What about you? Where else have you applied? :smile:

Ahhh thats so nice of Southampton! But no doubt you'll exceed AAB anyway!
Bath is so lovely yeah :biggrin:. Im post a level and got 3A* in Psychology, Geography and RS. and A* EPQ and C in AS Biology :/
I have applied, Cambridge, Bath, Bristol, Durham, St Andrews but no offers yet.
Bath rejected me last year though as I have a B in GCSE maths :frown: they still might this year ! sucks.

But having Biology to A2 will help you soooooo much! They love that!

Quick Reply

Latest