The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL application, GCSE grades.

Im wanting to apply to UCL Engineering, with AABBBBBBC, Do I stand a chance? Please only people who kno what they are talking about?
A in Maths, B in English lit, C in English lang
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Depends on which course number really.

I think your okay..

Which course code was you thinking of?
Reply 3
well i had AAABBBBCCCCCEM and got an offer for them butit depends what course youre going for as they tend to pay more attention to the GCSEsif its a highly subscribed course :smile:
Your GCSEs are fine for the course.
Reply 5
Original post by CharliePhillips
Im wanting to apply to UCL Engineering, with AABBBBBBC, Do I stand a chance? Please only people who kno what they are talking about?

You should try calling or e-mailing them to find out. I think with good AS grades you may have a chance.
I think if you have good A2 predictions, and hold good AS results, your GCSEs will be fine :biggrin:
Good luck!
Thanks guys so far, tbh I didnt really try in all of my gcses apart from french and maths, but have been trying at sixth form, and in all progress tests have been getting As with a couple of exceptions.... Im wanting MEng Electrical Engineering with Computer Science
Reply 8
Well I asked them via email and they said my GCSEs ( similar to yours) were fine for mechanical engineering. Although I think electrical is bit more competitive at UCL rather than mechanical.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
I've got similar grades to the OP and was told that I don't stand a chance! :frown: And I would have thought that my course would be less competitive as well.

I am thinking of applying for the Information Management for Business course. Do you think these grades will be ok?

A Levels:

Business Studies - A
ICT - A
Maths - B

AS Level Physics - C

GCSE's: AABBBBBBCC
(edited 11 years ago)
I really don't think many UCL departments care about your GCSEs, your grades are fine, they might be worried if you got loads of Ds or something but just make sure you do very well in your A levels.
Reply 11
If you meet the GCSE requirements, then you should be fine. However, you really need to get A grades at AS Level as well as A grades in your predictions. Moreover, universities have data concerning all centres about their average GCSEs, and your grades should be above average for your school if you want to go to UCL.
Reply 12
Original post by Jakaroo94
I really don't think many UCL departments care about your GCSEs, your grades are fine, they might be worried if you got loads of Ds or something but just make sure you do very well in your A levels.

Original post by Saurus95
If you meet the GCSE requirements, then you should be fine. However, you really need to get A grades at AS Level as well as A grades in your predictions. Moreover, universities have data concerning all centres about their average GCSEs, and your grades should be above average for your school if you want to go to UCL.

Thanks for the replies. Those are my actual A level resuts, I just completed my A levels and I'm taking a gap year.

Would you say that they are ok?
Original post by Usama H
Thanks for the replies. Those are my actual A level resuts, I just completed my A levels and I'm taking a gap year.

Would you say that they are ok?

It's a difficult question to answer, it will depend on how popular that specific course is. UCL accept people with grades upwards of ABB so it would be worth applying, make use of your gap year, do something worthwhile and you should stand a decent chance.

Good luck for the future :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by cl_steele
well i had AAABBBBCCCCCEM and got an offer for them butit depends what course youre going for as they tend to pay more attention to the GCSEsif its a highly subscribed course :smile:

how did you get in? (no offence, i am genuinely curious)
Reply 15
Original post by JPL9457
how did you get in? (no offence, i am genuinely curious)

Because they love me :biggrin: no idea to be honest my alevel grades were crap so i missed my offer but they gave me a second offer on the next cycle, was rather surprised but as i said i signed up for a somewhat more obscure course so less competition compared to something like law... plus i had an awesome PS :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by cl_steele
Because they love me :biggrin: no idea to be honest my alevel grades were crap so i missed my offer but they gave me a second offer on the next cycle, was rather surprised but as i said i signed up for a somewhat more obscure course so less competition compared to something like law... plus i had an awesome PS :tongue:

any tips for the PS, seeing as yours was 'awesome'

oh and what coursed did you do
Reply 17
Original post by JPL9457
any tips for the PS, seeing as yours was 'awesome'

oh and what coursed did you do

History and Russian, ermmm well it depends what you'reapplying for though really... i put down a load of crap about going to russia to learn some russian and teach kids english [all very bad lies i know] reading around the subject, extra curriculars, sports blah blah the usual stuff just more aimed at it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending