The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What a wierd week for boxing!

- Naseem Hamed being jailed
- Floyd Patterson passing away
- Mayorga failing drug test
- 6 fights to go for Ricky (assuming he wins them all!)
- Calzaghe still without partner

Wierd!

Can't wait for tomorrow night :biggrin:
Come on Ricky! let your punches do the talking rather than the speech :smile:
Yep I agree, extremely wierd.

Just saw the Hatton Collazo highlights, and thought Ricky deserved to win. Collazo surprised me with his accuracy at times, but Ricky's work rate as usual was superb until the final bell. He had a scare in the 12th but managed to stay on his feet. A rematch may be on the cards, Collazo is good enough to make it interesting...
Reply 22
Hatton Callazo - great fight.
Ricky was obviously dominant earlier on.
12th round was staggering. HOw Ricky ended up being on both feet is nothing short of incredible.

I think Ricky needs to go back down to Light Welter and get Floyd to train down to that level as well :biggrin:
Ricky got a win (by unanimous decision as well), so onwards and upwards. He wasn't beat which is the most important thing. He can now work out what he done wrong and gain valuable experience from the fight :smile:
- Weighed in at 11st 4lb (which is a lot!)
- No defence sometimes

Ricky did catch him badly, a few times. And I even wondered how Collazon remained on his feet as well. Collazon wasn't hard done by, it was just Ricky worked hard in a sloppy way.

Clinton Woods easily won as well as predicted :biggrin:
Reply 23
whens calzaghe fighting next I know its in cardiff but not sure who and when it is?
Reply 24
Fusion
whens calzaghe fighting next I know its in cardiff but not sure who and when it is?

Still not been decided. Its this type of situation boxers need to avoid.
Anyone taking on an opponent in the last minute normally finds it very hard. Examplees could be Lennox against Vitali & Enzo Maccarinelli against Mark Hobson.

Just read a BBC news article about hatton wishing to take on winner of Corrales / Castillo :eek:
I think it would be Castillo, and to me, he is one person that could cause Hatton major problems. Castillo as good as, beat Mayweather way back (although Floyd won). So that kind of puts it into perspective.

Hatton's fight has got me raising doubts. I'll fully support him, because I think he doesn't back out of high profile fights, he is determined, has established himself, and is the fighter to beat. BUt when I looked at De La Hoya against Mayorga, and Mayweather against Judah, I think; problems!

Hatton is in the best division of fighters.
- Castillo
- Corrales
- Mayweather
- Gatti
- Judah
- Maussa
- Tszyu
- Cotto
I could mention loads more. It really is a superior division. Tszyu was great, no dispute. But look at who Mayweather has beaten! Judah, Castillo, Gatti etc. There is some serious fighters there :smile:

We know Hatton couldn't go down to lightweight. The fighters above could all hit light welter.
Yep, best division at the moment. I think anybody is capable of beating any one else on their day. Hatton-Corrales would be interesting, Corrales has great heart and a good chin so it's going to be tough for Ricky, if it happens.

Scott Harrison is having one or two mental problems. A shame he won't be fighting on Saturday. Amir Khan is worth watching though, and Danny Williams as ever will be a crowd-puller.

LOL Audrey Harrison has got himself a top-notch trainer now, shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted if you ask me.
Reply 26
someone at our club said that "if Hatton's fight had gone to 13 rounds he would have lost." he got put on the stupid board for that comment.
Hatton was pretty shakey in the 12th though.
Reply 28
Hatton was shaky in the 12th. Collazo won that round fair and square, and if he had secured a knockdown, he may well have won the contest, based on the fact the 1st round was marked 10-8 due to the knockdown by Hatton.

I've really studies some past fights over the last few days, and I'm sure the best fight for Hatton is Arturo Gatti. He is still strong, a big crowd puller, and beatable by Hatton. It's another stepping stone. No point jumping into Mayweather, Castillo or De La Hoya quite yet. And I'd rather him come back down to Light Welter and reign there.
Hatton's not ready for my boy Floyd.

Floyd will stretch him out like he's a Las Vegas Limo-bus.
Reply 30
Pretty Boy Floyd has found it tough against opponents with tactics of brutality. Namely Castillo. You have to watch that one, as PBF got done hard. How he ever won, I'm still scratching my head. But picking off people like Judah and Gatti was mesmerizing.
I have watched that one. Everyone is entitled to a bad fight, and in my opinion Floyd won it. Look at the rematch, Floyd boxed his head off.

P.S. Judah is a world championship fighter.
Reply 32
Amir won convincingly enough for me yesterday, which is good.
To think he beat a former title belt holder says it all after only 6 fights.

Danny Williams - well it was never going to be amazing was it? Took a fight on with a weeks notice! Sorry - Danny, but if you think you're going to beat Skelton hands down, your living in fanatsy land lol :biggrin:

Oh - Mayweather's backside being kicked by Castillo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IgmyzgNNIk&search=Jose%20Luis%20Castillo
Sorry, but PBFs record shouldn't be without defeat. There may have been some scrappy affairs, but this was plain obvious to see. This is why I fear Castillo v Hatton.
Reply 33
I swear Danny Williams is a joke and rightly too. His claim to fame was beating a 10 year past it tyson then he got way over hyped. Heavyweight boxing is a joke nowadays.

Are there any up and coming big fights in york hall soon, anyone know?
Reply 34
^ The next big fight in York Hall is me trying to pass my Telecom's exam :biggrin:

Danny Williams is an exceptionally nice guy, but your right. Beating Tyson wasn't exactly a hard feat. He should of tried to do it when Lennox beat him. Different proposition. Tyson was on the buffer when Williams beat him.
Reply 35
york hall is the centre of british boxing tradition has a good atmosphere at fights. Pity hatton won't be fighting in manchester for a while(again maybe) place was buzzing when he was fighting
Reply 36
Platocrates

P.S. Judah is a world championship fighter.

Don't agree. He's a classic pillock.
In fact, i'd quite like Hatton to face him, so he can knock him out the way Kostya did :laugh:

Going for that ref was a disgrace to the sport. And then he purposefuly puches low to Mayweather. It was so intentional, it was despicable.
Judah would KO Hatton guaranteed.

Look what Collazo did to him. A quicker, harder hitting southpaw vs Hatton = Hatton KO'd.
Can I come on to say the thing that boxing fans detest?:smile: There's no dignity in it, it's a sport for bloodthirsty sickos to watch etc etc. Muhammed Ali?? The man's such a legend, so I'm told by every tom, dick and harry.:rolleyes: No, he's a fool who beats people up for a living and look how he's turned out. A cautionary tale I think.
Reply 39
naivesincerity
Can I come on to say the thing that boxing fans detest?:smile: There's no dignity in it, it's a sport for bloodthirsty sickos to watch etc etc. Muhammed Ali?? The man's such a legend, so I'm told by every tom, dick and harry.:rolleyes: No, he's a prick who beats people up for a living and look how he's turned out. A cautionary tale I think.

To a certain extent, its unfortunately half true.
However, I'm a strong lover of the sport, and I enjoy a good fight of physical strength pound for pound, and great athleticism. That is what boxing is about, not what Tyson made it out to be, and not even what Mayweather makes it out to be sometimes.

Money and boxing comes hand in hand due to the pay-per-view screening. A lot of boxers then talk about nothing else. The bigger the fight, the bigger the purse, and that's what its all about.

Hatton has fought 41 times, and he is only after the best fighters to make a name for himself. Money is good, but he'd rather be known as a legend of the ring.

You will also notice that those boxers who have respect always go on to succeed. Those that don't, fail. You mentioned Mohammad Ali (Cassius Clay), and he was a great because he came back to win the Heavyweight title after periods out of the ring. His greatest fight for me was Joe Frazier in the Phillipines, whereby money was not in the sport. It was a great achievement for both fighters and they both deserve enormous amounts of respect. Ali collapsed after realising he had one after Fraziers retirement on the 14th round.

Boxers who have repect and will achieve because of it. Mark my words:
- Amir Kahn
- David Haye
- Ricky Hatton
- Calzaghe

All of them.

As for Judah knocking out Hatton - don't think so. Judah couldn't live with Tszyu, how do you think he will live with Hatton? :biggrin:

Latest