The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4020
Original post by Aky786UK
They've withdrawn because they felt the IBF hearing would be one-sided as Michael Welsh and Joe Cooper (referee) wouldn't be present. The man in the hat has finally spoken about what he was actually doing on fight night, still shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Because the WBA have ordered a re-match, Khan's banking on that but Petersen apparently will appeal against their decision also. They've offered Petersen a 50/50 split to make a rematch. Lamont should take it and run, Khan brings in the more money between them, great offer.

I think Peterson is a bit peeved by Khan and his camp's conduct. That is why he doesn't want to give a rematch. I would be as well tbh.
Original post by Rgman27
I think Peterson is a bit peeved by Khan and his camp's conduct. That is why he doesn't want to give a rematch. I would be as well tbh.

yeah freddie roach is a great trainer but notorious for being a sore loser.. be it with de la hoya and mayweather or now with khan and peterson.

To be honest, irrespective of the outcome of the fight and the appauling judges who were clearly not doing their job, khan did not really dominate the fight and show the world he is a legitimate contender for a maymeather super fight. He is super talented but hasn't really tackled questions about his glass chin.

He has been saying he wants a Maymeather match by the end of 2012 but I would advise against that. Khan has so many opponents to tackle first- Ortiz, Margarito, Cotto, Marquez- he needs to prove himself againts these welterweights before moving onto probably the greatest defensive boxer in the world.
Reply 4022
Original post by Constricule
yeah freddie roach is a great trainer but notorious for being a sore loser.. be it with de la hoya and mayweather or now with khan and peterson.

To be honest, irrespective of the outcome of the fight and the appauling judges who were clearly not doing their job, khan did not really dominate the fight and show the world he is a legitimate contender for a maymeather super fight. He is super talented but hasn't really tackled questions about his glass chin.

He has been saying he wants a Maymeather match by the end of 2012 but I would advise against that. Khan has so many opponents to tackle first- Ortiz, Margarito, Cotto, Marquez- he needs to prove himself againts these welterweights before moving onto probably the greatest defensive boxer in the world.

Well, I think he has shown himself to have a chin that is good enough. He took enough clean shots from Maidana and Peterson to show that. That is all he bangs on about these days as well. Though, I don't think it is the best in the world. IF he moves up weight class, he is going to find it harder with bigger punchers.

I don't even think he is the best in his division. I think Bradley is the best in the division. He still hasn't faced Alexander or given Maidana a rematch.

I used to like Khan. After his recent conduct, I really dislike him. It shows how deluded someone can become, with a little bit of success. Also, he still doesn't seem to understand his fundamental weaknesses that were really exposed by Maidana.

One day he will get systematically exposed by a good operator like Bradley.
Erm, in no way should the purse be 50/50 at all. Last time I checked challengers never get more or equal than the champions and it should be that way here. Plus Amir hasn't ever called on Prescott for a rematch, so why should Peterson do it for him?
Original post by TCD23
Erm, in no way should the purse be 50/50 at all. Last time I checked challengers never get more or equal than the champions and it should be that way here. Plus Amir hasn't ever called on Prescott for a rematch, so why should Peterson do it for him?

Prescott had a clear win over Khan, Peterson did not.
Reply 4025
http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/7441611/No-May-date-for-Floyd-Pac

No May Fight for Pac Man - Floyd

Delaying tatics by Pac Man ( Arum really) so they get Floyd after he is out of prison or is it all about the money?

Either way it is not good for Pac Man and I thought it was Floyd "Money" Mayweather.

At the end of the day, we as boxing fans want to see this fight happen. May 5th is one of the biggest dates in the calender and I think for a fight that is probably going generate 100 million + in gross revenue, I don't really see how they can bicker over such relatively small amounts.

On the other hand, we might see Mayweather - Sergio Martinez ( one of my favourite boxers) and Pac Man - Marquez 4 ( I think, I have lost count lol).
Original post by Rgman27

Original post by Rgman27
http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/7441611/No-May-date-for-Floyd-Pac

No May Fight for Pac Man - Floyd

Delaying tatics by Pac Man ( Arum really) so they get Floyd after he is out of prison or is it all about the money?

Either way it is not good for Pac Man and I thought it was Floyd "Money" Mayweather.

At the end of the day, we as boxing fans want to see this fight happen. May 5th is one of the biggest dates in the calender and I think for a fight that is probably going generate 100 million + in gross revenue, I don't really see how they can bicker over such relatively small amounts.

On the other hand, we might see Mayweather - Sergio Martinez ( one of my favourite boxers) and Pac Man - Marquez 4 ( I think, I have lost count lol).

Money May vs Martinez would probably be a better fight than pac vs floyd imo
Original post by Rgman27
Well, I think he has shown himself to have a chin that is good enough. He took enough clean shots from Maidana and Peterson to show that. That is all he bangs on about these days as well. Though, I don't think it is the best in the world. IF he moves up weight class, he is going to find it harder with bigger punchers.

I don't even think he is the best in his division. I think Bradley is the best in the division. He still hasn't faced Alexander or given Maidana a rematch.

I used to like Khan. After his recent conduct, I really dislike him. It shows how deluded someone can become, with a little bit of success. Also, he still doesn't seem to understand his fundamental weaknesses that were really exposed by Maidana.

One day he will get systematically exposed by a good operator like Bradley.

He lost points against Petersen because he decided to go onto the ropes and absorb punishment and hence he grew a tad tired and lost some of his speed which is what happens when you try to show everybody that you've got a good chin by being reckless. I like Khan, he's got potential but still has to iron out issues if he wants to face Floyd but he would get beat if he wanted to face him this year.

He doesn't need a re-match with Maidana, he fought and overcame him so real desire for a second, and it's not the fight that people want to see.

To his credit, he's done everything he can to lure Bradley but Tim hasn't been forthcoming, you can't do much more than your best but Bradley's continually said no for whatever reason. I think Khan would edge Bradley, it'd be a great contest but unlikely to see it.

Khan is impatient, always has been. If he was abit more grounded, took his time, he could easily clean up at light-weltweight (face Bradley etc) and move up to 147 at his own time. He's rushing himself and I fear he'll come up short when he comes up against Floyd.
Reply 4028
He lost points against Petersen because he decided to go onto the ropes and absorb punishment and hence he grew a tad tired and lost some of his speed which is what happens when you try to show everybody that you've got a good chin by being reckless. I like Khan, he's got potential but still has to iron out issues if he wants to face Floyd but he would get beat if he wanted to face him this year.

He doesn't need a re-match with Maidana, he fought and overcame him so real desire for a second, and it's not the fight that people want to see.

To his credit, he's done everything he can to lure Bradley but Tim hasn't been forthcoming, you can't do much more than your best but Bradley's continually said no for whatever reason. I think Khan would edge Bradley, it'd be a great contest but unlikely to see it.

Khan is impatient, always has been. If he was abit more grounded, took his time, he could easily clean up at light-weltweight (face Bradley etc) and move up to 147 at his own time. He's rushing himself and I fear he'll come up short when he comes up against Floyd.

I don't think he was trying to show everyone how good his chin was. I think that was a facade to try to cover up the fact that he didn't know what he was doing defensively. That is why he kept on getting his with so many clean shots and was pushing Peterson. He doesn't like fighting in close and needs space.
Reply 4029
Original post by oh-my-diddy
Money May vs Martinez would probably be a better fight than pac vs floyd imo

Yeh I agree lol.
Reply 4030
I find it outrageous that sergio martinez is the wbc silver champion, what does he need to do to get the title.
Arum again not allowing his precious fighter who is ****ttt julio cesar chavez fight martinez.
Martinez is most underated fighter out there
Original post by ijaz
I find it outrageous that sergio martinez is the wbc silver champion, what does he need to do to get the title.
Arum again not allowing his precious fighter who is ****ttt julio cesar chavez fight martinez.
Martinez is most underated fighter out there

He's widely regarded as being the 3rd best fighter P4P. :s-smilie:
Boxing will be a disgrace if a Mayweather jr- Pacman fight doesn't happen.
Apparently Floyd has spoken to Manny personally - albeit briefly - to discuss the fight, according to Sky Sports. But Manny's keen to discuss issues about the purse and making it 50-50 whilst wanting the fight to be later in 2012 and a bigger stadium. It's abit vague, I mean it's not as if he's fighting at the MGM for loose change, still going to be alot of money. I'd expect Floyd to be thinking of increasing the purse but not Pacquiao whose image over the past years has always seen to be about humility and modesty and now him or his team are not happy about an extra millions in the purse.

Apparently Floyd has spoken to Manny personally - albeit briefly - to discuss the fight, according to Sky Sports. But Manny's keen to discuss issues about the purse and making it 50-50 whilst wanting the fight to be later in 2012 and a bigger stadium. It's abit vague, I mean it's not as if he's fighting at the MGM for loose change, still going to be alot of money. I'd expect Floyd to be thinking of increasing the purse but not Pacquiao whose image over the past years has always seen to be about humility and modesty and now him or his team are not happy about an extra millions in the purse.

Yeah i think its blatantly obvious that arum just doesn't want this fight. Atleast not for now, but i mean for alot of reasons this 5th of may fight could be now or never.
AK vs peterson.. what's going on, is he rematching? I heard it's been called off, not heard anything from AK apart from the fact that he's been smoking shisha all week

aside from that, roy jones jr, what's he doing now, he's won his fight against max alexander, when's he gonna retire? he's proven himself enough imo..
Original post by 66310346671011
AK vs peterson.. what's going on, is he rematching? I heard it's been called off, not heard anything from AK apart from the fact that he's been smoking shisha all week

Talks are on-going but appears Petersen will reject the 50-50 offer on the table and go elsewhere, possibly against Bradley or even to face Pacquiao?! Khan doesn't smoke shisha, even though he endlessley plugs it on his Twitter, doesn't smoke it himself. That's what he says anyway.
Reply 4037
Talks are on-going but appears Petersen will reject the 50-50 offer on the table and go elsewhere, possibly against Bradley or even to face Pacquiao?! Khan doesn't smoke shisha, even though he endlessley plugs it on his Twitter, doesn't smoke it himself. That's what he says anyway.

He probably get's paid to advertise it for someone. That is why half these people have twitter.
Original post by Rgman27

Original post by Rgman27
He probably get's paid to advertise it for someone. That is why half these people have twitter.

lol yeah he always going on about cafe mirage.
^It's probably run by his mates etc so hence the free publicity and he probably gets free milkshakes and desserts in return!

Latest