The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

this whole manny-mayweather saga has been ridiculous, Amir Khan was a really sore loser, should have accepted it and went straight into rematch discussions
Original post by desijut

Original post by desijut
this whole manny-mayweather saga has been ridiculous, Amir Khan was a really sore loser, should have accepted it and went straight into rematch discussions

I said this at firs regarding Khan. But when rules have clearly been broken, he has a right to argue his case.

He should have given Peterson more credit though, at the very least, after the fight.
Reply 4042
Original post by cocacola2
I said this at firs regarding Khan. But when rules have clearly been broken, he has a right to argue his case.

He should have given Peterson more credit though, at the very least, after the fight.

I don't think so. He lost two points because he kept on ignoring the referee. I am not sure what other rules were broken.

He should thank Peterson. It is lucky he didn't face anyone really good because with such a shoddy defence he would get taken apart.
Whats the latest with Floyd v Pac? anyone know?

the latest ive heard is floyd saying he wants 60/50 split. i mean come on now, he just making the situation even more difficult than it already is.
Original post by oh-my-diddy

the latest ive heard is floyd saying he wants 60/50 split. i mean come on now, he just making the situation even more difficult than it already is.

He's facing a hearing from the Athletic Commission on February 1st to determine whether or not he'll even be granted a licence to fight in Nevada. The hearing is supposed to consist of questions concerning his court case plea about a May fight which has allowed him to serve his sentence in June. Personally I hope he is not allowed to fight and the state throws his women beating ass in prison. There has been no actual developments concerning the Pacman fight, it's not going to happen anytime soon.
Reply 4045
Original post by pinda.college
He's facing a hearing from the Athletic Commission on February 1st to determine whether or not he'll even be granted a licence to fight in Nevada. The hearing is supposed to consist of questions concerning his court case plea about a May fight which has allowed him to serve his sentence in June. Personally I hope he is not allowed to fight and the state throws his women beating ass in prison. There has been no actual developments concerning the Pacman fight, it's not going to happen anytime soon.

You really think Nevada are going to tell Floyd Mayweather and his million pounds worth of Las Vegas revenue he can't have a license? It will be nothing but a technicality.

The situation regarding Pacman v Mayweather is that after agreeing to take a smaller cut than Mayweather, Pacman is now saying he wants 50-50. Whether that's fair or not, if someone tells you they are going to take a lesser share of the money generated, it's general negotiation practice not to lower your offer once it's been adhered to, which is what Mayweather is doing. However it's not clear whether he is going to accept the 50-50 yet. Regardless of that, this issue is nothing more than a smokescreen to hide the fact that Bob Arum is pretty much refusing to let Pacman fight on May 5th.

Bob Arum is the real problem, he has done nothing but prove he doesn't want this fight to happen. After Pac said he would be fine to fight on May 5th, Arum says he wants a stadium building and it wouldn't be ready, after that he says Manny's cut wouldn't heal in time, despite differing opinions from Manny him self. The guy is the biggest crook in boxing and all he cares about his getting his two guys in the ring so he can take money from both of them.

loved this
Original post by 66310346671011
aside from that, roy jones jr, what's he doing now, he's won his fight against max alexander, when's he gonna retire? he's proven himself enough imo..

Imo i think he's the greatest boxer in the last two decades. Now he's just being an idiot. He should have stopped after he won the heavyweight title. It was obvious that he wasnt the same after that

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/01/floyd-mayweather-jr-miguel-cotto
Original post by Uber-Man

yeah, just looked at boxrec.

dayummm man, whoever thinks this is a good matchup is verrry wrong. come on man miguel cotto, really?

i say cotto might have his moments during the fight but i see domination from floyd.
Reply 4050

dayummm man, whoever thinks this is a good matchup is verrry wrong. come on man miguel cotto, really?

i say cotto might have his moments during the fight but i see domination from floyd.

Cotto is the next best opponent, seeing as Martinez would be drained making that weight. Floyd will be fighting him at his full healthy weight, 10 pounds heavier than when he fought Pacquiao. It will be a good fight.
cotto mayweather a delicious fight , but a little bit late right? I mean the opportunity was there for a good few years and never happened. All i am saying is, if this was the other way round floyd fans would be saying pacqiou is fighting his leftovers
Angelo Dundee, trainer of Muhammed Ali, dies aged 90.

Dundee was the RIGHT man for Ali's career. I doubt the latter's career would have turned out the way it did for Dundee's assistance. There's also the time when he fought Cooper in 1963, when Cooper dropped him and Dundee created a few extra seconds for Ali to recover and some smelling salts as the myth goes. If it does now, there'd be utter condemnation but because it was Dundee and he did it for Ali, its kinda become appreciated for some reason.

I suppose as much as I respect Dundee, one thing is tough to stomach was the end of Ali's career when you'd have hoped Dundee might have pushed his guy to call it a day but tbh, Dundee throughout Ali's career did what Ali wanted him to do: focus on the boxing side and Ali do what he wanted to and Dundee gave him unprecedented support by sticking with him.

He didn't look or speak like he was 90, kept in good shape.

RIP Angelo

I don't see a totally one-sided affair. I may get negged for saying this but I think we may witness a possible upset?!

Mayweather is fighting Cotto @154lbs, only the second time in his career he has fought at @154, the last time was against, lets face it, a past his best De La Hoya and Mayweather won a widely contested split decision.

Now Cotto's not the fighter he was 4 years ago, but he still has power and showed in his last bout he can fight on the backfoot and has tremendous heart.

A Technical Boxer v. A Counter Puncher

I will be supporting Cotto as he seems like a genuine nice guy & has that fan friendly style of always putting it on the line.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4054
Amir Khan vs Peterson II is confirmed. Should be a great fight. I wouldn't call the first one an all out robbery but I did have Khan winning, given that whenever its a close fight the reigning champ should get the upper hand. Saying that, Khan boxed very poorly, and knowingly fought Peterson at his hometown.
I would definitely like to see Khan win by TKO/UD but I have a feeling it's gona be another close fight with Khan just edging it. I just hope Khan does some serious work on his inside game.
Reply 4055
Also, regarding Pac Mayweather I highly doubt its gona happen. Pac has been reported as saying his next fight will be his last. I have a gut feeling that even if it does happen, it will probably be the biggest let down in the history of boxing.
Chisora is a G. Can't wait until Saturday :smile:
Also there is live boxing on Channel 5 on Saturday, involving Chris Eubank Jr and the wonderfully named Kid Galahad.
Original post by Lefty_P
Amir Khan vs Peterson II is confirmed. Should be a great fight. I wouldn't call the first one an all out robbery but I did have Khan winning, given that whenever its a close fight the reigning champ should get the upper hand. Saying that, Khan boxed very poorly, and knowingly fought Peterson at his hometown.
I would definitely like to see Khan win by TKO/UD but I have a feeling it's gona be another close fight with Khan just edging it. I just hope Khan does some serious work on his inside game.

I really doubt he will work on his inside game. He had the same problem with Maidana.

I think this fight will be easier for Peterson because he worked out how Khan fights.

If Peterson gets past the first few rounds, then I think it is his fight.
I don't see a totally one-sided affair. I may get negged for saying this but I think we may witness a possible upset?!

Mayweather is fighting Cotto @154lbs, only the second time in his career he has fought at @154, the last time was against, lets face it, a past his best De La Hoya and Mayweather won a widely contested split decision.

Now Cotto's not the fighter he was 4 years ago, but he still has power and showed in his last bout he can fight on the backfoot and has tremendous heart.

I will be supporting Cotto as he seems like a genuine nice guy & has that fan friendly style of always putting it on the line.

I think that it Floyd's fight. Simply because he has already fought a similar fighter in De La Hoya who I think is better than Cotto. I think we will see very similar tatics used by floyd in the second half of the de la hoya fight.

Possibly. He's an extremely good technical fighter, combine that with his size advantage and you can see an upset happening (PBF would still be a big favourite though).

Cotto has been bludgeoned into submission by Pac and Marg, but he's never been comprehensively out-boxed, so I don't know how he'd mentally deal with that against PBF if the fight started to turn against him.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest