The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Black Rose
I don't think I'd want to do sparring :nah: I'd prefer being alone and do it with the bags... maybe though.. :dontknow:

If you've got a good trainer or belong to a good gym, they should start you off with just light taps and escalate from there over time. It's not like suddenly you get whacked, unless you have a dodgy coach or it's a dodgy gym.

There's nothing to replace sparring if you really want to learn puglism. If you just want the boxing for the fitness, you can get away with the other training, but I found that sparring increases the heart rate and adrenaline more than anything else, and it kind of gives us something to shoot for fitness wise. If you can get comfortable in sparring, you're well on your way.

Try out the training, have a light tap spar session, and see - you might enjoy it. Or it may put you off and you just stick to the other training.

You can also use massive gloves as well, like 16 oz jobbies.
Danny Garcia vs rod salka, what a pointless match up. Nice knockout though.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Danny Garcia vs rod salka, what a pointless match up. Nice knockout though.

By the time I had found a stream, Showtime were showing replays of Pacquiao vs De La Hoya. A part of me was happy I missed it though.
Less than one week until 'Special K' Brook goes one on one against Shawn Porter.
Both fighters are undefeated.
Kelly Brook to win!
Kelly Brook lol, not sure if deliberate.

Hope (and think) he'll win.
So, Frank Maloney then...
Reply 5686
Won't lie, I'm predicting Porter will win even though I've never seen either guy fight. But I do know that Porter has beaten better opponents than Kell has, so I think experience will win him this fight.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
So, Frank Maloney then...

Jaw dropped to the floor. He seems happy with his choice so best wishes to him.

https://vine.co/v/MVEpheJ9le0 of Garcia's Salka KO. Man, gotta give Garcia his due. Deserves a big money fight out there with Floyd or someone for his unbeaten record.
Reply 5688
Garcia would get outboxed easily by Floyd. Herrera already beat Danny.
Come on Kell Brook!!! :boxing:

Bring the belt back to Britain.
Original post by Kay D
Herrera already beat Danny.

Really just no. Garcia won a fair majority decision.

:rofl:
Told you Kell would win! Much better boxing from him than Porter imo , so a deserved win.
Kell Brook did it in America! Loved his comments about Khan can get in a queue to fight him as well.

Done Britain and British boxing proud tonight! :rofl:
Kell Brook stepped up tonight. Fair play to him.
What does everyone predict for Floyd v Marcos Maidana next month?

I predict that this time I will get an A :smile:
Original post by omid123
I fight semi-pro in boxing and have just been accepted to Kent uni. Anyone here competed in boxing for their respective universities?

Nope. I'm rubbish! :biggrin:
Floyd my camp will come harder :frown:
Original post by omid123
I fight semi-pro in boxing and have just been accepted to Kent uni. Anyone here competed in boxing for their respective universities?

It really depends greatly on the individual uni, so you're better off asking Kent Uni specifically. I boxed at uni but at mine they never competed in BUCS stuff or uni comps because they didn't have the club set up formally. So all my bouts were through the non-uni club I was at and I just trained/sparred at uni once or twice a week.

But I knew some people from other unis that had good setups and decent coaches and had their boys all carded and everything (UCL I think it was that had a good set up).

So yeah. Better off asking Kent directly or people who go there.
Original post by e aí rapaz
It really depends greatly on the individual uni, so you're better off asking Kent Uni specifically. I boxed at uni but at mine they never competed in BUCS stuff or uni comps because they didn't have the club set up formally. So all my bouts were through the non-uni club I was at and I just trained/sparred at uni once or twice a week.

But I knew some people from other unis that had good setups and decent coaches and had their boys all carded and everything (UCL I think it was that had a good set up).

So yeah. Better off asking Kent directly or people who go there.

Yeah Ill do that, Hopefully they do I want to compete against other unis

Latest