The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's funny as Hearn/Brook said Khan can always have the fight with Kell if he loses to Manny/Floyd. Now it seems he can still have the fight if he loses to another big name like Canelo, get the Brook fight and as noted previously because his image will have risen further on American and potentially UK channels (think Boxnation will take it but Sky must fancy getting in on the SBO action but it seems that'll be Eddie's call) that he will demand more money for the Brook battle.
Original post by Aky786UK
It's funny as Hearn/Brook said Khan can always have the fight with Kell if he loses to Manny/Floyd. Now it seems he can still have the fight if he loses to another big name like Canelo, get the Brook fight and as noted previously because his image will have risen further on American and potentially UK channels (think Boxnation will take it but Sky must fancy getting in on the SBO action but it seems that'll be Eddie's call) that he will demand more money for the Brook battle.

Exactly. It's a shrewd business move by Khan, in many respects.

It also helps his standing in the eye of the UK viewer, too. He won't be seen as a coward chasing Canelo, after all.
I think he will lose his mandatory position with Garcia so the rematch will probably never happen (Angel Garcia, Danny's dad, is clearly against the idea as he probably knows his flat-footed son would lose and have his face busted up).
Its shameful actually that Canelo's team asked to fight Khan and not the other way round. As well as asking for a rematch clause... Fight GGG you coward and if not then vacate and let him have his belt!
Also i think Khan should have taken a tune up with Liam Smith (super-welterweight champion) to adjust at higher weight.
Anyway looking forward to it but cant see anything other than another KO loss for Khan.
That's the thing, plenty of people will say over in the UK that Khan is ducking Brook - but, really, this is Canelo ducking GGG. Again.
IMO I think Khan could have a slight chance. Canelo got outboxed by Lara all that time ago, this could happen here. If Khan wasn't so chinny and more durable I'd be giving him a real chance, shame he could go at any moment tho.
Fury's interview on SSN.

Interviewer: "Does Amir Khan have a chance?"
Fury: "Yes. Everybody wrote me off against Klitschko - he was a super champion. I beat him. Canelo's not a super champion. Klitschko was and I beat him."

The Klitschko fight will be his version of Froch's "did you know I boxed in front of 80,000 at Wembley?" shtick, won't it?
Original post by Mackay
That's the thing, plenty of people will say over in the UK that Khan is ducking Brook - but, really, this is Canelo ducking GGG. Again.

Again? Canelo only won the title in his last fight and he was granted a voluntary defence. If he doesn't fight GGG in Sept, then yeah, he's ducking.
Who is waiting for the fight Gipsy King with Klitschko?
Hope it happens in the UK or Ireland, but I can see it being a Qatar job tbh.
Original post by abc20002

If it'll be as exciting as the first one, then I literally can wait. I have some very important paint to watch dry in the meantime.
[Цитата="frankieboy;62549709"]если это будет так волнительно, как первый, то я буквально не могу ждать. У меня есть очень важная краска для вахты сухой пока.[/Цитата]

I think this will be also dull how the first time
Original post by Fiduciam
Stepping in with Canelo at 155? Crazy.

Ratings for taking it, I guess. Nobody saw that coming at all.

Original post by Rk2k14
Clearly taking it for the money.

Gets knocked out within the first 2 rounds, but will still get a big pay day regardless.

Still have to admire him though. Brook should take note.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Got to love Khan.

Canelo's just too big for him though.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys not really 100% into boxing but watch the occasional fight & check up on boxing news.

Khan is a welterweight boxer who on fight day weighs roughly at 66kg correct?
He wants to fight Canelo who is 2 weight divisions above him -> super welterweight(69kg) and then middleweight(72kg). .

Q) How is Khan expected to "make weight" in time by May 7th before his fight?
There is no way in hell you can "naturally" put on muscle from 66kg to 72kg (6kg -> 13lb) of muscle in 12 weeks, 6 days. If your a complete gym newbie you make the most craziest gains i.e 20-25lb in 1 year.... that's 1 year -> 10-12.5lb/6 months. My opinion therefore is Khan is going to struggle to make weight and I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped on juice purely for the pay cheque i.e cost/benefit scenario. Canelo has been at middleweight division for a much longer time and doesn't have to put on that much muscle which plays to his advantage. Canelo>Khan anyday and I want Khan to be knocked out for him to be truly woken up.

Khan is a fighter slowly fading away ... didn't fight mayweather, macquio and running scared from brook. I reckon his got 1-2 last fights left in him.

#RIPKHAN2016
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by abc20002

I thought they wanted to fight sometime in May but heard recently they
are still chasing each other around for a confirmed date.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Correct me if I'm wrong guys not really 100% into boxing but watch the occasional fight & check up on boxing news.

He wants to fight Canelo who is 2 weight divisions above him -> super welterweight(69kg) and then middleweight(72kg). .

There is no way in hell you can "naturally" put on muscle from 66kg to 72kg (6kg -> 13lb) of muscle in 12 weeks, 6 days. If your a complete gym newbie you make the most craziest gains i.e 20-25lb in 1 year.... that's 1 year -> 10-12.5lb/6 months. My opinion therefore is Khan is going to struggle to make weight and I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped on juice purely for the pay cheque i.e cost/benefit scenario. Canelo has been at middleweight division for a much longer time and doesn't have to put on that much muscle which plays to his advantage. Canelo>Khan anyday and I want Khan to be knocked out for him to be truly woken up.

Khan is a fighter slowly fading away ... didn't fight mayweather, macquio and running scared from brook. I reckon his got 1-2 last fights left in him.

#RIPKHAN2016

Khan has been inactive for almost 10 months now (last fight vs Algieri) and used to struggle to make weight before (at 140) hence the move up to 147, but now he's bigger, he claims that he walks around at 160lbs so will easily make weight, and have more stamina and power too. He even said that on fight night he'll be at around 165lbs or so, so that should be fine.

On to the next bit, yeah I agree that Canelo is too big & strong for him but Khan has said this himself. The cliche 'styles make fights' comes into play, if Khan can stay focused using his jab and speed for 12 rounds - he could win on points, nobody can see him knocking Canelo out (or down for that matter but who knows), but it's an interesting fight since Canelo is a fairly flat footed come forward fighter. If he gets caught with a big shot or two it could be an early night but we'll see what he's really made of lol, there is a difference between hits from Maidana and those from Canelo (who is usually around 175lbs fight night). It's a good move, lose and come back down to Brook (who will still give him the fight although probably run the negotiations this time) and I also read that he may still be mandatory for Garcia.

There is no shame losing to Canelo at 155, since he could use a bunch of excuses and he is stepping out of his comfort zone. If he lost to Brook then he'd face a lot of sh1t lol.
Khan has been inactive for almost 10 months now (last fight vs Algieri) and used to struggle to make weight before (at 140) hence the move up to 147, but now he's bigger, he claims that he walks around at 160lbs so will easily make weight, and have more stamina and power too. He even said that on fight night he'll be at around 165lbs or so, so that should be fine.

He's not bullsh1tting no one but himself imo. :rofl:
You can't go from 147-165lb = 18lb of pure muscle :sigh: in 10 months.
If he's been bulking/cutting naturally he'll probably be around 153 given roughly 10 months or a bit more time to get to 153lb. If his claiming to be 165lb on fight time there is no doubt that the extra +12lb isn't muscle most likely extra fat unless his on something.

On to the next bit, yeah I agree that Canelo is too big & strong for him but Khan has said this himself. The cliche 'styles make fights' comes into play, if Khan can stay focused using his jab and speed for 12 rounds - he could win on points, nobody can see him knocking Canelo out (or down for that matter but who knows), but it's an interesting fight since Canelo is a fairly flat footed come forward fighter. If he gets caught with a big shot or two it could be an early night but we'll see what he's really made of lol, there is a difference between hits from Maidana and those from Canelo (who is usually around 175lbs fight night). It's a good move, lose and come back down to Brook (who will still give him the fight although probably run the negotiations this time) and I also read that he may still be mandatory for Garcia.

There is no shame losing to Canelo at 155, since he could use a bunch of excuses and he is stepping out of his comfort zone. If he lost to Brook then he'd face a lot of sh1t lol.

I agree but lets be real. If Khan has been out for 10 months your claiming since his last fight its highly unlikely that he has been constantly 100% training since Day 1 to be tip top shape and use what his known for his " speed for 12 rounds". I agree with you that in the unlikely event Khan wins, it would be on points and not a KO. Exactly, Khan hasn't faced anybody with the punching power of +2 weight divisions above so its hard to compare different the skill sets at different divisions.

Exactly, his trying to buy time in the end since its all about publicity & money. When he loses he'll use excuses and will still face Brook inevitably. I read that about Garcia as a mandatory challenger aswell. Rough road for Khan ahead.

#RIPKHAN2016

I can't work with kg, only lbs.

First of all, although the middleweight limit is 160lbs, the fight is at a catchweight of 155lbs. So he only has to put on 8lbs.

The truth is, he's probably not going to put on 8lbs of muscle. He doesn't have to come in at 155lbs if he doesn't want to. It may be to his advantage that he comes in at around 150lbs, so he can maintain his speed.

Anyway, Khan does probably walk around at 160+. Against Devon Alexander, he was 160lbs on the night of the fight. Although, I do think he's BSing when he says 155 is his natural boxing weight. He belongs at 147, but it's great to see someone challenge themselves, especially when they have so many easier options at 147.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I can't work with kg, only lbs.

First of all, although the middleweight limit is 160lbs, the fight is at a catchweight of 155lbs. So he only has to put on 8lbs.

The truth is, he's probably not going to put on 8lbs of muscle. He doesn't have to come in at 155lbs if he doesn't want to. It may be to his advantage that he comes in at around 150lbs, so he can maintain his speed.

Anyway, Khan does probably walk around at 160+. Against Devon Alexander, he was 160lbs on the night of the fight. Although, I do think he's BSing when he says 155 is his natural boxing weight. He belongs at 147, but it's great to see someone challenge themselves, especially when they have so many easier options at 147.

Google is your best friend if you can't do simple kg->lb conversions and vice versa

"He only has to put on 8lb" You do know most people who have been training in the gym for 4+ year only put on 4-5lb muscle per year through bulk/cutting.

1st year = 20-25lb of muscle per year.
2nd year = 10-12lb of muscle per year.
3rd year = 6-8lb of muscle per year.
4th year = 4-5lb of muscle per year.

^ Bulking + cutting "naturally". Yeah nice to know we both see eye to eye that Khan won't be putting on 8lb of muscle its mostly excess fat. If Khan claims he walks around 160lb(72.5kg) then when he fights at 147lb he has to lose 13lb which is muscle aswell as fat. I agree Khan's natural boxing weight is at 147lb.
I wouldn't say there are "so many easier options at 147" when Khan is the one going back & forth from Kell Brook etc.

It is nice for a change to see someone tackle adversity and challenge themselves though he is in for a rude wakening when he faces Canelo.
:biggrin:
Google is your best friend if you can't do simple kg->lb conversions and vice versa

"He only has to put on 8lb" You do know most people who have been training in the gym for 4+ year only put on 4-5lb muscle per year through bulk/cutting.

1st year = 20-25lb of muscle per year.
2nd year = 10-12lb of muscle per year.
3rd year = 6-8lb of muscle per year.
4th year = 4-5lb of muscle per year.

^ Bulking + cutting "naturally". Yeah nice to know we both see eye to eye that Khan won't be putting on 8lb of muscle its mostly excess fat. If Khan claims he walks around 160lb(72.5kg) then when he fights at 147lb he has to lose 13lb which is muscle aswell as fat. I agree Khan's natural boxing weight is at 147lb.
I wouldn't say there are "so many easier options at 147" when Khan is the one going back & forth from Kell Brook etc.

It is nice for a change to see someone tackle adversity and challenge themselves though he is in for a rude wakening when he faces Canelo.
:biggrin:

Boxing is done in lbs, so I'll stick to that.

When I said only 8lbs, I meant only 8lbs as opposed to 13lbs (if they were fighting at the welterweight limit). Anyway, I don't expect Khan to put on that much muscle (or fat). He'll probably just not dehydrate as much prior to the weigh-in. Most of the weight you lose prior to the weigh-in is water weight. Then you re-hydrate overnight.

Khan's a Haymon fighter who has loads of fighters campaigning at 147. There are plenty of guys he could go in the ring with for decent-good money. Yeah, the Kell Brook fight is there too, but he'd have a much better chance of beating Kell Brook than Canelo.
(edited 8 years ago)
Really bad scenes at the weigh-in in Ireland, with the rampaging gunmen. Saw a video of it today, and all you could hear in the background was a little kid screaming for her dad. Scary stuff.
Joshua vs Martin for the IBF title on April 9. Eddie must be keen to rush him and cash in on a Fury fight asap. Might have been better facing Chisora personally

Edit: Hearn loves the IBF title belt doesn't he? He seems to get his fighters title shots through that route - wonder why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest