The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frankieboy

The Haye fight was a farce.

The Briggs fight - I dunno, one couldn't help being mildly impressed with Briggs at that age, great body shots, but still a bit of a non-fight.

Yeah, I was probably over-reacting - but one good fight does not a good card make.

The Haye fight was just a waste of time, really. Felt really sorry for everybody sat in there last night.
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, I was probably over-reacting - but one good fight does not a good card make.

The Haye fight was just a waste of time, really. Felt really sorry for everybody sat in there last night.

You can see what they did it though.

Both fights looked explosive to an ordinary viewer and hyped up their future fight.
Of course the more avid boxing fans know they were both **** fights but have to say I am excited for Haye vs Briggs.
Original post by Rk2k14
You can see what they did it though.

Both fights looked explosive to an ordinary viewer and hyped up their future fight.
Of course the more avid boxing fans know they were both **** fights but have to say I am excited for Haye vs Briggs.

Absolutely.

At the end of the day, there was an appetite to see Haye fight - and they've got a duty to give the fans what they want (hence AJ's relatively quick turnaround for his fight next month).

I genuinely have zero interest watching Haye vs Briggs. None whatsoever.
Original post by Mackay

Nah I don't think you were over reacting, I'd agree with you. Just didn't want Markham to be forgotten in the crowd, so to speak.
Bellew at the end of the month, and then it's a quiet couple of weeks until AJ and then Fury, followed by Frampton a couple of weeks after that.

A decent summer of boxing.
Not surprising Barry Hearn/Matchroom don't see the contradiction in advising Amir Khan to retire because of the KOs he's received and 'concern' for his health followed by 'oh, but Kell Brook would knock him out!'. Puts their concern into its proper place, which is that it's BS 'concern'.
Blackwell has gone in on the Eubanks.
Worrying reports for the health of Muhammed Ali - on Thursday it was said he was in a 'fair condition' however it has speeded up that he's 'near the end'. He's had similiar stories before and come through to recover. Let's hope it's the same again.
RIP Muhammad Ali. Sad day.
Horrible news to wake up to.
Anyone see Lomachenko's brutal stoppage of Martinez???
Original post by jasdhesi95
Anyone see Lomachenko's brutal stoppage of Martinez???

His skills are unbelievable, undoubtedly the most talented boxer in the world right now.
Anybody caught the Murray/Groves Gloves Are Off? A lot of mutual respect shown.
Props to Anthony Joshua for knocking out Dominic Breazeale. Although Breazeale was a nobody imo.

I really want these boxers to stop being hippy p..... and step into some real fights I.e AJ/HAYE/WILDER/FURY/KLITSCKO

Anybody else heard the bs excuse of Klitscko injuring his ankle during training and delaying the fight from July to October? :wtf: Last time he did that injury excuse with his calf he got sh1t on by Fury and imo its just going to give Fury more time to cut and prep for the fight, which is a mistake on Klitscko part.

"The WBC champion is Deontay Wilder but Joshua's team are likely to keep their charge away from the hard-hitting American for as long as possible." <-- If AJ knows best, he'll stay away because he ain't ready for Wilder just yet.
(edited 7 years ago)
Good performance from AJ. A professional job. He was solid, if unspectacular. Breazeale was as we expected. He looked to frustrate and survive as long as possible. He wasn't looking to win, he was merely looking not to lose.

From here, you imagine AJ will face Parker next.

Full credit to Eubank Jr, who thrust himself into the world platform, and Groves, who managed to overcome a very resilient Murray without being troubled. I thought Groves executed the jab perfectly.
Wouldn't get too carried away with Eubank Jr. Good performance but there was no doubt.
Would be foolish for him to step in the ring with GGG. Eaten alive.
Original post by Rk2k14
Wouldn't get too carried away with Eubank Jr. Good performance but there was no doubt.
Would be foolish for him to step in the ring with GGG. Eaten alive.

Agree - but Eubank Jr is world level now. If it was any other division, he'd be a world champion. I personally think he should target Billie Joe, rather than GGG, but the Eubanks aren't ones to shy away from a fight (Canelo).
Original post by Mackay
Agree - but Eubank Jr is world level now. If it was any other division, he'd be a world champion. I personally think he should target Billie Joe, rather than GGG, but the Eubanks aren't ones to shy away from a fight (Canelo).

Wouldn't say world level yet. Just that one big fight away.
Agree, BJS first would be better because its a chance to rectify his loss and get a world title belt at it. Then the monster that is GGG.

Canelo's fighting one of the Smith brothers. Guess we have to wait another year for him vs GGG:frown:
Personally thought -

Eubank looking great actually, beautiful combos, what about that uppercut? I really want to see both him and Canelo vs GGG at some point.

Murray/Groves both great. Gotta admire Murray's heart.

Was a little underwhelmed with Joshua this time as it goes, even though I'm a fan. Got the job done though.
Eubank would be at the very least be competitive against anyone at 160 except GGG.

Think Hearn will sneak another easy one in for Joshua before the Parker fight. And then a big one in the Summer.