The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Through the Medium of Welsh

Hello all!

I've been given an unconditional offer to study History/Welsh History at Aber in 2013. It says on the website "No prior knowledge of Wales, or the Welsh language, is required". But I also saw that you may take classes through the medium of Welsh. I would love to do this! My goal would be to learn and be prepared to take classes in Welsh by the third and final year of the degree.

I've never attempted to learn another language. Never had to in school. I've heard that the easiest and most effective way to learn a new language is to learn it where it's naturally spoken. How prevalent is Welsh at Aber? Is my goal reasonable? Any insight or advice on attaining said goal?

Thanks!
hi,

There are courses done by the University for non welsh speakers to learn the language.

Information can be found in the reception of the old college or online at http://www.learnwelshinmidwales.org/ and through the university at http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/cymraeg/cyrsiau-gradd/cymraeg-ail-iaeth-i-ddechrewyr/

Many learn the language as it is extremely helpful it getting a job here as beign able to converse in Cymraeg is a highly desirable quality for employers.

I must say taking modules in welsh will require a very high level of welsh to be able to compete with those whose welsh is their first language but if you do the classes and become fairly fluent you may be fine, dont' let me put you off :smile:.

The university is a Bi-lingual school, welsh is very prevelant, with the university having a specific welsh halls of residence and many of Aberystwyth's locals having Welsh as their first and main language.

Hope this has helped.

Sam x
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by A Fallible Poet

Any insight or advice on attaining said goal?

Try this online course http://www.saysomethinginwelsh.com/home/ to get an idea of what its like. There are two versions depending on whether you want to learn the north or south dialects as some words are slightly different depending on where you are eg rwan/nawr both mean now and hefo/gyda both mean with.
Thank you, to both who replied.

I've found the resources you gave extremely helpful! I'm on my way to learning the language! :smile:
Reply 4
Welsh is my first language... I'm very familiar with Aberystwyth (my brother went there to university and is currently doing his masters there) it's also where I'll be going to university! I'd say... Aberystwyth is very Welsh, very friendly and people are ready to help and quite patient if you are a learner. I recently read an article about this site called "memrise" it's quite good, I use it to help with my German. I'm not sure if they have anything in Welsh there but it's worth checking out! It's quite likely they do because there are free courses on more or less everything there
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h.fflur
Welsh is my first language... I'm very familiar with Aberystwyth (my brother went there to university and is currently doing his masters there) it's also where I'll be going to university! I'd say... Aberystwyth is very Welsh, very friendly and people are ready to help and quite patient if you are a learner. I recently read an article about this site called "memrise" it's quite good, I use it to help with my German. I'm not sure if they have anything in Welsh there but it's worth checking out! It's quite likely they do because there are free courses on more or less everything there
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi h.fflur,

Thanks for your contribution in this thread, but this thread has been 'dead' for 5 months now and the original poster got the help they required. Please deter from bringing old threads back from the dead.

Thanks,
The Optimistic Ram.

Quick Reply

Latest