The Student Room Group

Medicine in China and Hong Kong

你们好!

Just a thread for anyone applying to/considering to apply to Chinese and Hong Kong medical schools. Hopefully there are a few people out there that know a bit about it and can enrich us with their knowledge :wink:
Reply 1
Original post by Zedd
你们好!

Just a thread for anyone applying to/considering to apply to Chinese and Hong Kong medical schools. Hopefully there are a few people out there that know a bit about it and can enrich us with their knowledge :wink:

To apply to HKU, apparently you need really high UMS scores (95%), good Ukcat score and good gcses. :biggrin: basically it's like applying to Oxbridge imo hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Meltingice
To apply to HKU, apparently you need really high UMS scores (95%), good Ukcat score and good gcses. :biggrin: basically it's like applying to Oxbridge imo hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks? Can't say that's the sort of thing I was expecting to learn (given it's probably available via their website) but I suppose every little helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Zedd
Thanks? Can't say that's the sort of thing I was expecting to learn (given it's probably available via their website) but I suppose every little helps.

Are you from hk?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Are you from hk?

Posted from TSR Mobile

我不是。 我是苏格兰人!你呢?

The idea with this thread is that we might be able to learn a bit more about the processes, fees, funding, courses etc when applying to Chinese medical schools, particularly those which teach in English.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Zedd
我不是。 我是苏格兰人!你呢?

The idea with this thread is that we might be able to learn a bit more about the processes, fees, funding, courses etc when applying to Chinese medical schools, particularly those which teach in English.

Malaysian. Have you learnt Mandarin before? :tongue:

Well the whole application to HKU/CUHK is tough. Their entry requirements are normally really high. Probably CUHK is less difficult. No idea about other chinese medical schools though. Do you want to apply there?

:smile:
Original post by Zedd
你们好!

http://www.studymedicineinchina.co.uk/
Have a look at this Zedd. It's what I used.

It's set up by a UK person who's in their 3rd year at Zhejiang University. He started this a few years ago, and has helped people from UK get into medical schools in China. The guy replies back to emails very fast, so feel free to email him if you have any queries.
Reply 7
Malaysian. Have you learnt Mandarin before? :tongue:

Well the whole application to HKU/CUHK is tough. Their entry requirements are normally really high. Probably CUHK is less difficult. No idea about other chinese medical schools though. Do you want to apply there?

:smile:

I have learnt a little, but not much really! Part of the reason why I'm considering China and HK is that I would like the opportunity to learn either Mandarin or Cantonese alongside a medical degree. I don't think I'll be applying for 2013 entry because if I get an offer in Scotland for next September I'll be snapping that up, but if I'm reapplying for 2014 then yeah I'm definitely going to be applying to medical schools in China and HK. I'd hope that being a graduate applicant makes life a little easier for me, but we'll see :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Zedd
I have learnt a little, but not much really! Part of the reason why I'm considering China and HK is that I would like the opportunity to learn either Mandarin or Cantonese alongside a medical degree. I don't think I'll be applying for 2013 entry because if I get an offer in Scotland for next September I'll be snapping that up, but if I'm reapplying for 2014 then yeah I'm definitely going to be applying to medical schools in China and HK. I'd hope that being a graduate applicant makes life a little easier for me, but we'll see :smile:

Nice :smile: you speak good mandarin atm anyway! which scottish uni did you apply to? and what eternaldoom said was so helpful! more helpful than my advice anyway :colondollar:
Reply 9
Nice :smile: you speak good mandarin atm anyway! which scottish uni did you apply to? and what eternaldoom said was so helpful! more helpful than my advice anyway :colondollar:

I'm in my final year at Aberdeen university just now, and could potentially spend another 5 years here if I get in there (which means 9 years at Aberdeen uni O.o )

Original post by EternalDoom
http://www.studymedicineinchina.co.uk/
Have a look at this Zedd. It's what I used.

It's set up by a UK person who's in their 3rd year at Zhejiang University. He started this a few years ago, and has helped people from UK get into medical schools in China. The guy replies back to emails very fast, so feel free to email him if you have any queries.

This could come in handy :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Zedd
I'm in my final year at Aberdeen university just now, and could potentially spend another 5 years here if I get in there (which means 9 years at Aberdeen uni O.o )

Are you doing a science degree atm? :eek:
One of my mates got into Zhejiang University for medicine, he's in his second year and he loves it.
Reply 12
Are you doing a science degree atm? :eek:

No, I'm doing a humanities degree, although I was originally doing chemistry :smile:
Original post by James A
One of my mates got into Zhejiang University for medicine, he's in his second year and he loves it.

Nice! :biggrin:
From what I've seen in videos and pictures, it does look like a really good university!

Original post by Zedd
This could come in handy :tongue:

:tongue: Glad to help!
Also, their MBBS Medicine course is for internationals only, so all your classmates would be international students and you would be able to speak to them in English. I personally have no knowledge of Mandarin, so I'm excited in learning! I've been learning Japanese for 9 months now, and I know there's some overlap between the languages because they both use Kanji, and also I find it easy to learn Asian languages because my native language is Bengali, so I'm used to seeing weird squiggly lines and not just english letters like in most european languages.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Zedd
No, I'm doing a humanities degree, although I was originally doing chemistry :smile:

Awesomeee! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending