The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by wrnicholls
Ah okay - so do you never get unconditional offers to those applying without KNOWN A Level* RESULTS?

CORRECT.

* or equiv.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
There was a girl in my school who had an unconditional offer based on her AS grades alone.

Which University and Course?

My Username is really Poisson Distribution :mmm:
Reply 22
There was a girl in my school who had an unconditional offer based on her AS grades alone.

What subject and where?

PS. 'There was a girl at my school' usually = unsubstantiated anecdote.
Reply 23

Wow :eek:

That's impressive. At least we now know it's not impossible. :cool:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Which University and Course?

London South Bank University to study something to do with baking. :tongue:
Reply 25

Do you mean BANKING :biggrin:
Ah okay - so do you never get unconditional offers to those applying without A Levels?

They do from time to time! This even happens in cases where you would not believe it possible (Cambridge maths for instance).
At Oxford (and Cambridge?) they used to make what was called a matriculation offer of EE to candidates who wowed at exam and interview before having taken A-levels. It was de facto unconditional, since any candiate receiving the offer could plainly get the grades, but they still had to ask for that as a matriculation requirement: 2 A level 'passes' and GCSE maths and English at C or above. I don't think these offers are still made, mind.
Do you mean BANKING :biggrin:

No, baking. As in cakes and stuff.
Reply 29

:eek2:
Reply 30
Yes, this can happen, as can a performance course after a formal audition. However, this VERY rare as all degree courses will rely on you also having the intellectual ability to study at that level.

This cannot be 'measured' only by a portfolio etc (it doesnt stand up to any form of quantifiable scrutiny), so University's are highly unlikely to ever it as the 'only' admission requirement re. a school leaver.

Ooh, I see :smile:

Reply 32
Original post by gl71994

I also know of a case where a top uni changed an offer from conditional to unconditional once she'd sat her exams and prior to results day.

This was because the unis you have set as your firm and insurance get sent your resuts before you do, usually you wouldnt see the change until results day because UCAS remove access to track for a few days until results day.
I heard from a teacher that if you make the national team for the maths Olympiad places like Cambridge and Warwick give you unconditional offers...however I have no source to back it up so this could be entirely bs...
One of my teachers got an unconditional after her interview at Liverpool so it can happen :smile: .
A lot of people in my year got unconditionals because our entry requirements are on our highers which we do in fifth year and this includes medicine my friend got one for St Andrews.
Reply 36
Original post by Bubble87
This was because the unis you have set as your firm and insurance get sent your resuts before you do, usually you wouldnt see the change until results day because UCAS remove access to track for a few days until results day.

No the last day of exams (1st July) her status on track was changed, before the exams were even marked. Essentially they wanted her to definitely go there but didn't want to give her an unconditional before exams so she would still work and achieve her best.
Reply 37

no wonder she got a unconditional offer then :ahee:
Original post by a10
no wonder she got a unconditional offer then :ahee:

Haha! I totally understand were you're coming from. I didn't even know that degree existed!
Do people really get unconditional offers?
If so, what is the factor that makes it unconditional? Is it a great personal statement, or top grades?

Neither

for most courses the only way you will get an unconditional offer is if you all ready hold sufficient qualifications for entry i.e. you have all ready completed a suitable number of NQF Level 3 or above qualifications

the exceptions are

- art or performing arts courses where entry is by portfolio or audition
- if you meet the requirements as a mature student who is not subject to normal entry requirements i.e you are entering on the basis of a 'portfolio' of practicla and life experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending