The Student Room Group

College and sixth form advantages and disadvantages?

Which one are you going to/ at?
Why? Which one in your opinion is better?:rolleyes:
Reply 1
What will suit you better will depend on the type of person you are and etc. I personally went to a sixth form. :h:
Reply 2
Original post by ViceVersa
What will suit you better will depend on the type of person you are and etc. I personally went to a sixth form. :h:

Yeah, I probably will too! We barely got taught in year 7,8 & 9. So if anything comes up that I'm meant to know, i'd fail! :/ Plus all the teachers are amazing, and it's closer to home :smile:
College generally better at leading into apprenticeships.

Sixth form generally better at leading into university.

Depends on the path you want to take, unfortunately people do suffer from the wrong choice. But that said if you want to go to university go to sixth form, but if you want immediate skills training and a lead into work then choose college.

I went to sixth form, didn't love it but managed to get through.

Good luck with your choice!
Reply 4
Original post by ZoeWoah
Yeah, I probably will too! We barely got taught in year 7,8 & 9. So if anything comes up that I'm meant to know, i'd fail! :/ Plus all the teachers are amazing, and it's closer to home :smile:

Haha, you sound like you've experienced the same thing I did! :tongue: I barely got taught year 7, 8 and 9 too! Sounds like you should go to sixth form then :yep: Sixth form was good for me and I don't regret it. :nah:
Reply 5
I'm going to college, and mine has better results than most of the local schools/sixth forms! It really does depend. Some sixth forms may be better or your local college - research!!
Reply 6
I absolutely love college. Better teachers, more resources for A-levels, no immature students, has a better feeling, the chance to meet new people and a general good experience to have in life. :')
It depends on the college though and what type of person you are. :-)
I go to a Sixth Form
Studying: Maths, Further Maths, French and History

Advantages
Best option for university
Treated more like an adult (if you respect them back)
More facilities (hourly oral sessions if you do a language, science stuff :tongue:)
More support (support sessions, go to the teachers)
Freedom (nobody cares if you're late once or if your phone goes off, as long as you switch it off)
You don't see the rebellious people
Not forced to do subjects you hate

Disadvantages
Need to choose the right courses depending on what you want to do further on (Do Maths and Further Maths if you want to do Maths at uni for example)
Lots of homework
Don't expect an A if you revised the night before
Still see the odd person who you question why they're at college/sixth form
There is a chance you can get a bad teacher, so a lot more work is independently done
It's only 2 years, so you need to have a good idea of what you're going to do then when you start
Reply 8
I attend a sixth form college so i don't know what the differences are between them. However it's cool that you get to wear your own clothes and get to choose the subjects you like that you want to learn. The disadvantage being that most times the breaks in-between classes are boring and tedious, at least in my schedule.
Plz help me also I m from pakistan and I wanted to apply for a admission in Cardiff sixth form collage is it a good choice

Quick Reply

Latest