The Student Room Group

Further Maths Advice

Hiya

Basically I'm doing a Gap year and I'm taking the further maths a level in one year, last year I got a solid A in my maths a level. I was intending to do things linearly and do FP1 then move on to FP2 and FP3 but my mum signed me up to this online lecture thing and all the lectures start now for FP1/FP2/FP3. So basically is there any point listening and partaking in the FP2/FP3 lectures and doing the extra work on top of that or just watch them and partake in debates.

I ask this for two reasons:

1. It would greatly increase my workload doing extra work associated with the modules but just attending lectures wouldn't be too bad (only 1 a fortnight)
2. I may not have the prior knowledge which is needed for FP2/FP3 as I have not done FP1 yet...

Also as a footnote how much harder if at all are the Further maths modules and mechanics 2/3 if you have any knowledge of them as well. And does studying them require much knowledge from Core maths modules (as I may need refreshers)

Thankyou to anyone who helps, answering any of my questions!
I honestly have no clue regarding your lectures problem, however I can answer you with regards to Mechanics modules. M2 is not substantially more difficult than M1 and requires C3 knowledge. M3 is much more of a step up and expects C4 knowledge (Mostly integration). What applied modules did you do in Maths, and what are you planning on doing as your third applied module?
Reply 2
Original post by DJMayes
I honestly have no clue regarding your lectures problem, however I can answer you with regards to Mechanics modules. M2 is not substantially more difficult than M1 and requires C3 knowledge. M3 is much more of a step up and expects C4 knowledge (Mostly integration). What applied modules did you do in Maths, and what are you planning on doing as your third applied module?

Thanks man!

I did M1 and S1 but I hated S1 and only got 60 something in it! I know people say S2 is a lot easier etc but it would probably require me going over S1 again which I couldn't bare.

I'm planning on doing D1 as my 3rd applied, have been recommended it, people say it is boring but pretty easy
Reply 3
If its edexcel. FP2 requires basic complex number knowledge from FP1
Reply 4
Original post by Jammy4410
If its edexcel. FP2 requires basic complex number knowledge from FP1

Thanks will rep when I can. That shouldn't be a problem as I've pretty much learn't that already
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Einstein
Thanks will rep when I can. That shouldn't be a problem as I've pretty much learn't that already

Also, FP3 requires basic knowledge of matrices form FP1
Original post by Mr Einstein
Thanks man!

I did M1 and S1 but I hated S1 and only got 60 something in it! I know people say S2 is a lot easier etc but it would probably require me going over S1 again which I couldn't bare.

I'm planning on doing D1 as my 3rd applied, have been recommended it, people say it is boring but pretty easy

D1 is an easy module (With correspondingly high grade boundaries) but as said, one of the least interesting. I can see why you wouldn't want to do S2 although it's another A2 module which could count towards an A* in Further Maths. There's also M4, although I haven't learned that yet so I can't really comment.
Reply 7
Original post by Jammy4410
Also, FP3 requires basic knowledge of matrices form FP1

Original post by DJMayes
D1 is an easy module (With correspondingly high grade boundaries) but as said, one of the least interesting. I can see why you wouldn't want to do S2 although it's another A2 module which could count towards an A* in Further Maths. There's also M4, although I haven't learned that yet so I can't really comment.

Thank you for your help guys, I think I will just attend lectures, they are actually recorded so I can view them later after Jan when I'll start doing them properly.

I'm not too bothered about the A* I'm not applying to any Uni's that require it!

One last question is how much will I need to go over the Core maths modules when studying the pure maths modules, is there much crossover?

Quick Reply

Latest