The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm completely new here :/

I'm considering what to take for AS-level, and right now I'm considering History, Philosophy and Ethics (Religious Studies), Government and Politics, and Business and Economics.

I know Oxford offers courses in History and Politics, and PPE, but it's unlikely I'll go there and I don't know how many other University's offer these or similar courses (though I suspect it's many).

The question is are these good AS Levels (I don't know which I would tkae on to A2 as I love them all) to take, as in are they valued, and where can you go with them? I'm looking around myself but any opinions would be valued.

Also would going to a comprehensive Sixth-Form be better or worse then going to a Grammar? Assuming you got the same grades?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
If you love those subjects then take them. From experience, it's better to pick A-levels you enjoy doing as you're more likely to do better in them. Quite a few unis do joint honors degrees in History and Politics, I know mine does, so you should have a choice if you go for that course.

I was at a Grammar school for my A-levels but if there is a good comprehensive near you then you won't be any worse off going there. I would recommend the grammar school option of you're able to get the grades as the general level of ability in the classes will be higher which will make you work harder in order to keep up with the rest of the class which will push you to get better A-level grades in the end.

If the schools do open days, go have a look and see which one you think you will feel more comfortable in.
Reply 2
Thanks, from what I've read that seems to be a good mix :smile: And I think you're right, so cheers for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending