The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey Aaron,

Thank you for the link, I guess we are all nervous, hopefully we can all pull it out of the bag and get a place. I think if you're passionate about it then it will shine through so hopefully the interviewers will see that. I'll post any advice on interviews I may get after my Birmingham Interview as it may help you! :smile: Best of luck for you application! Let me know how you get on, especially for UWE we could end up at the same uni! :P

Hey ammy.Ox
I got confirmation of it being received from Liverpool,UWE and Birmingham within first week and then Kings College and Southampton more recently. Birmingham replied to me offering me an interview within 2 weeks but I think this is really fast to reply, i've heard that many universities don't reply until early next year!! Which is a bit of a pain as it's horrible waiting :frown:
But good luck with your application! Make sure you let me know how you get on.

Exciting times for us all! :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by rgray11
Hey!
I was just wondering if you could tell me a bit about the interview? What was particulalrly tricky or the sort of thing you have to do? I've done practise interviews with Physiotherapist's in Cambridge but would like to hear from someone thats gone through it all :smile:
Well done and I hope you are enjoying your gap year! :smile:

Of course all universities do their interviews slightly differently but I think most of them are in front of two people (one lecturer and one physio). They all asked about the work experience that I did, How i found it, any thing that shocked/ surprised me and anything i particularly enjoyed. They may ask you about skills that a physio has, be sure not to just list lots of attributes but explain how you demonstrate these skills at clubs/ volunteering etc.

Also some common questions include do you meet deadlines, how you cope with stress, what you do in your free time to relax? as they need to know that you will be able to cope with the demands of the course.

one question that caught me out was "what is physiotherapy" - my mind just went completely blank. Make sure you are able to explain, what a physiotherapist is and what they do, and why it appeals to you so much.
You will almost certainly be asked why you want to study at that particular uni. Before the interview make sure you have researched the course and uni so you can answer this. Dont just give reasons why its a great uni but why the course in particular is so good (e.g. I told nottingham i liked the fact they dont do placements until second year so you are able to learn all the basics first and therefore get the most out of it)

I know its hard but you need to try and relax and just smile! They need to see that you are able to communicate effectively and be comfortable with people as this is what the job will entail.

Realy hope this helps, all intervies are different but just make sure you have researched the course, uni and you know all the reasons why you woul be a great physio!
Reply 22
Hi! I've applied to UEA,Southampton,Keele,Brighton and Bournemouth. My school sent my application off this week too, and I haven't heard anything yet. The process for physiotherapy must be longer because there are so many applicants to consider and there are interviews to give out.... so i'm trying not to worry even though I am constantly checking track! good luck , hope you get an offer soon!
Reply 23
Hey, I applied for physio last year. I sent off my application the first week of october and didn't hear from my first uni until the beginning of december. I heard from the rest mostly in January, and most of these were for interviews - i didnt get my offers until end of feb/march. So don't panic if you don't get a response immediately.
If you haven't been rejected you're being considered!
Rowww...
Ahhh, they sound like really good choicess, (unfortuunatley none the same) Yeah thats true actually good point! haha, yes im doing the exact same :')
Good luck to youuu, let me know any updates you have!

rose2.....
Ahhh okayy, that's veryy reassuring then, thank you! i'll just try to sit back and be patient :smile: did you get any offers? are you on deffered entry?
I applied last Thursday to Southampton, Nottingham, Manchester Met, Liverpool and UEA. They've all acknowledged my application but haven't offered any interviews yet :frown:
Manchester Met begin interviewing in November so fingers crossed

Also, does anyone know if Liverpool are interviewing this year? When I put my choices on UCAS it didn't mention an interview while the others (minus soton) did
Original post by GeorgiaRose

Also, does anyone know if Liverpool are interviewing this year? When I put my choices on UCAS it didn't mention an interview while the others (minus soton) did

Yes, they are.
I applied last Thursday to Southampton, Nottingham, Manchester Met, Liverpool and UEA. They've all acknowledged my application but haven't offered any interviews yet
Manchester Met begin interviewing in November so fingers crossed
Reply 28
Original post by rebecca.physio

rose2.....
Ahhh okayy, that's veryy reassuring then, thank you! i'll just try to sit back and be patient :smile: did you get any offers? are you on deffered entry?

I got interviews everywhere and then 4 offers, nottingham was my firm and will be going there 2013! I applied for 2012 entry but then asked to defer and thankfully they let me :smile:
good luck!
Reply 29
Original post by rose2
Hey, I applied for physio last year. I sent off my application the first week of october and didn't hear from my first uni until the beginning of december. I heard from the rest mostly in January, and most of these were for interviews - i didnt get my offers until end of feb/march. So don't panic if you don't get a response immediately.
If you haven't been rejected you're being considered!

ahh thank you! you have stopped me worrying...for now anyway! :smile:
Reply 30
I think it will help you:

How would you handle daily stresses of working?

How would your friends describe you and why?

What 3 words best describe you?

Name a time when you worked in a good team? Name an experience when and how you contributed to a team?

What are two of your weaknesses? What are you doing about them?

Tell us a little bit about yourself?

Give us an example when you have had to think on your feet? E.g. stressful situation?

What are your strengths?

Team working? Why is communication important?

What do you think makes a good physio?

How would your colleagues/ housemates describe you?

We are a very sociable department, it’s your turn to organise the social activity this month, what would you choose and why?

Hello,

I too have recently applied to study Physiotherapy. I've applied to Kings, Brighton and East London, has anyone else applied here?

I have received acknowledgements but no interviews/offers as yet. Had a link from kings informing me that they do not interview for this course which I find really strange and also very worrying as I am a mature student and do not have bundles of A levels!

Be good to talk to other prospective students though :smile:
Hello to you all :smile:

I am new on here and just looking to get support, be supportive and find out about Physio applicants!

Have recently applied to study Physiotherapy in 2013 as a mature student and am really worried about the academic competition!

I have Maths and English and am studying an approved Access course, I have taken work experience in a private clinic and in an NHS hospital shadowing Physiotherapists in their different departments. I am also a volunteer helping with group therapies in an Occupational Health department and my profession is a massage therapist. I just want to know what my chances are of being accepted on to a course as for example, Kings do not interview and I feel that because I do not have bundles of A levels.

Any advice would be welcome

:smile:
I applied 2 weeks ago to nottingham, manchester met, liverpool, southampton and UEA, nothing back yet other than acknowledgements of my application.
Manchester met start interviewing in November though so i hope they reply soon!
Reply 34
Original post by rgray11
Hey Aaron,

Thank you for the link, I guess we are all nervous, hopefully we can all pull it out of the bag and get a place. I think if you're passionate about it then it will shine through so hopefully the interviewers will see that. I'll post any advice on interviews I may get after my Birmingham Interview as it may help you! :smile: Best of luck for you application! Let me know how you get on, especially for UWE we could end up at the same uni! :P

Your welcome, I will let you know hope I get on!
Good luck!

Original post by Angiesmj81
Hello,

I too have recently applied to study Physiotherapy. I've applied to Kings, Brighton and East London, has anyone else applied here?

I have received acknowledgements but no interviews/offers as yet. Had a link from kings informing me that they do not interview for this course which I find really strange and also very worrying as I am a mature student and do not have bundles of A levels!

Be good to talk to other prospective students though :smile:

I'm also applying for East London! Hopefully I will see you there!

Regards,
Aaron.
Reply 35
Experience is usually preferred tbh, obviously you need certain qualification to get by on the course but you have great work experience, far far more than a lot of applicants will I can tell you! I reckon you've got a very good chance.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
Reply 36
I agree with Bubble87, you do have a lot of good relevant experience which will help you a lot. Admissions tutors don't tend to favour those with A Levels over other acceptable courses, so don't worry if you don't have lots of A Levels that look fancy on your application. As long as your Access course is approved, which you've already said it is, then the main thing they're looking for is an insight into and interest in the profession. It sounds like you've got that so don't worry!! :smile:
Reply 37
This sounds very much like myself, I too am a qualified sports massage therapist/personal trainer who took the Access Course route.

Don't worry about being `academic`, it is truly overrated for Physiotherapy; quite often or not many admission tutors like mature students as they bring a sense of life experience, maturity and willingness to just learn, instead of partying. You have enough experience; so relax, finish your access course with the grades you need and make sure your enthusiasm comes across in your personal statement; whilst displaying your transferable skills!

Good luck,
Aaron.
Reply 38
Original post by rgray11
I have applied to Birmingham, Kings College, UWE, Liverpool and Southampton. Any one else applied to these??

So far I have got a reply from Birmingham only with an invitation to an individual interview on 28th November. Does any one have any tips for the interview or could tell me what your experience was like? Or an idea of things I need to take/prepare for?

Any information would be really helpful.
Nervous but very excited!
Good luck everyone! :smile:

Hi there :smile: I've just started my first year at Birmingham doing physio, so i'll try and remember how my interview went to help you out a bit!

I remember getting to the interview and I THINK (i had 3 interviews for 3 unis so don't quote me on this, they all get muddled up!) we got given a sheet of paper with questions on/a scenario on and some lined paper to jot some notes down. We didn't have to answer the questions fully or take extensive notes, it was just so we could feed off what we'd written when they interviewers asked us similar questions in the interview.

I was interviewed by 2 people, I believe one was a senior lecturer (maybe a module leader) and another is probably an admissions tutor or someone more experienced in clinical settings opposed to academic settings. They generally took it in turns to ask questions, although one asked me much more than the other.

They were typical questions like "why physio?", "why Birmingham?" and i'd say the interview lasted about 15-20 minutes, although i can't remember exactly. I was also asked a question which was basically hinting at my knowledge of the CSP and the HCPC, you don't have to know loads about them but it's a good idea to know roughly who they are and why they're important to physiotherapy in terms of professionalism and their general purpose.

I was so nervous, but they were very very nice and they understand that you are full of nerves!! But try to relax, and one last tip: if they ask a relevant question , try your best at as many opportunities as possible to include or mention something about your work experience...it'll lead them to ask more questions about it, giving you the opportunity to show you've got good experience and understanding of physiotherapy :smile:

Good luck!!!
Reply 39
Hi, I have a question. I can see that you all have already applied for physio courses starting in 2013, but it seems to me that the deadline in January. I am not too late to apply, am I?

Quick Reply

Latest