The Student Room Group

should religious symbols be banned from the workplace (reasons too!)

Why do you think that religous items should or should not be banned in the workplace?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, if health and safety is affected, then yes. Health ans safety comes first.
Reply 2
First of all most workplaces are privately owned and not state owned. Even so it would be invasive to prohibit a person from wearing a religious necklace or displaying a small token on their desk. Banning all religious items from all places of work would be oppression not secularism.
Original post by Harrow.7
Why do you think that religous items should or should not be banned in the workplace?

I don't really see how e.g. a cross necklace is going to cause so much trouble in a workplace that it needs to be banned.

^Not Christian btw.
If the workplace has a strict uniform or a dress code then yes. No scarves wrapped round your head like an Egyption mummy. No jewellery bling bling trying to show off. No silly hats that can easily fall off or bring in unsanitary germs. I think jewellery will probably be the least likely to cause disruption considering you only see necklaces if you're wearing a low-cut top.
Reply 5
As a libertarian, ie someone who believes people should be free to do as they like so long as it doesn't physically harm anybody else, then yes, religious symbols should be allowed into the workplace. I've never understood why certain companies disallow their employees to wear cross necklaces, although I'm reassured that such incidents are isolated.

People should be allowed to wear crosses, turbans, hijabs, rosary beads, kippah etc. The only exception I can think of is the niqab, but if you're stupid enough to wear that, you're unlikely to have a job in the first place.
Reply 6
If you allow people to wear a cross for religious reasons, you must allow others to wear necklaces if they want.
Reply 7
I'd say generally no. In a normal office environment I don't see any good reason not to allow it. Presumably employees would be allowed other personal items, so if they're allowed any at all, why single out religion?

But when it comes to jobs where there are uniforms, I don't think being of a particular religion should excuse you from the same dress code as everyone else. That said, in some cases it would be reasonable to accommodate small personal items in the dress code. Depends on the job though.
No.
There must be consistency, either ALL religious symbols are banned or none.
Don't think it matters, as long as they aren't shoving in all up in my grill.
If the workplace bans jewellery, that should include religious symbols. If health and safety bans all free flowing clothing, for example, then a burqa shouldn't be allowed. Basically, there shouldn't be any exceptions for religious people.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
Original post by OU Student
If you allow people to wear a cross for religious reasons, you must allow others to wear necklaces if they want.

Yep, if their religious and want to display another religious symbol then I don't see why not. However this doesn't apply to people who would want to wear a necklace just for the sake of it, i.e "I want to wear this necklace cos it looks nice".
Someone on here said that religious symbols are fine except Sikhs carrying kirpans but they have deleted their post.

I would just like to point out that banning just one religion rather than all of them would cause political chaos. Second of all it's compltely unjust to allow some religions have freedom of expression but not others; it is very ignorant to use the 'kirpan' as the example. It is part of the religion to carry it with them, just as it would be to wear a turban, to be a vegetarian and the law allows it because it is with good reason (https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy-or-carry-a-knife). So why is this any different?

It remains hidden(unlike a necklace), doesn't hinder anybody's ability to carry out a job so why is this isolated? I would understand if it is not allowed in high security places but most workplaces do not come into that category.

My point is, if you're going to ban symbols, ban all of them. If not, grant freedom of expression to all religions. Consistency is needed.
Reply 14
No; employers have a right to decide the dress code in their own business.
Reply 15
Original post by >Untitled<
Someone on here said that religious symbols are fine except Sikhs carrying kirpans but they have deleted their post.

I would just like to point out that banning just one religion rather than all of them would cause political chaos. Second of all it's compltely unjust to allow some religions have freedom of expression but not others; it is very ignorant to use the 'kirpan' as the example. It is part of the religion to carry it with them, just as it would be to wear a turban, to be a vegetarian and the law allows it because it is with good reason (https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy-or-carry-a-knife). So why is this any different?

It remains hidden(unlike a necklace), doesn't hinder anybody's ability to carry out a job so why is this isolated? I would understand if it is not allowed in high security places but most workplaces do not come into that category.

My point is, if you're going to ban symbols, ban all of them. If not, grant freedom of expression to all religions. Consistency is needed.

But isn't it also inconsistent to allow certain people to carry knives and not others?
Original post by Psyk
But isn't it also inconsistent to allow certain people to carry knives and not others?

I wouldn't really refer to the 'kirpan' as a knife, it's derogatory; and if you say it to a follower of the faith, they can get offended.

The law already allows some people to do things, but not others. People are allowed to carry knives but only for good reason, so that's already happening. Sometimes the law needs to be reconsidered in light of common sense; like how Sikhs don't have to wear a helmet on a bike if they wear a turban.
Reply 17
Original post by >Untitled<
I wouldn't really refer to the 'kirpan' as a knife, it's derogatory; and if you say it to a follower of the faith, they can get offended.

The law already allows some people to do things, but not others. People are allowed to carry knives but only for good reason, so that's already happening. Sometimes the law needs to be reconsidered in light of common sense; like how Sikhs don't have to wear a helmet on a bike if they wear a turban.

Well the Kirpan is a knife isn't it? I can't really help it if people are offended by a simple fact like that.

Nothing against Sikh's personally, or the religion itself. I actually live in an area with a large number of Sikhs. But I don't really agree with the principle of having different laws for different religions.
Reply 18
Yes, it's not really an employer's business to dictate how their employees think. Provided that they are dressed in a suitable manner in order to do their job I don't see an issue.
Original post by Psyk
Well the Kirpan is a knife isn't it? I can't really help it if people are offended by a simple fact like that.

Nothing against Sikh's personally, or the religion itself. I actually live in an area with a large number of Sikhs. But I don't really agree with the principle of having different laws for different religions.

It is, but wouldn't a Muslim get offended if you referred to the Qu'ran as just a book and treated it as much? Or any religion to their holy text?

Religion's a tricky ground, that's what I was addressing in my first post, all of them need to be treated the same by banning everything or nothing at all. As there is are a vast amount of people who follow religions and different religions that is, it's very difficult to reach a satisfactory middle ground :dontknow:

Quick Reply