The Student Room Group

Help with the "Think 25 policy"

Hi everyone,

I recently started working at sainsburys and obviously like other supermarkets they have the "Think 25 policy" for alcohol, cigs, etc...

Barely looking my own age of 18, I'm quite a shy guy and threw myself in to this job in attempt to be more confident and well earn some money.
Maybe this is just first day nerves and I hope It gets better. But I genuinely hate serving customers, mainly because I fear I'm going to have to ID them.

Does anyone else have this problem or do you just get on with it? Just doing your job sort of thing. I hate the thought of asking for ID and them not having it. Refusing customers is the worst and I dont want to deal with pissed off people. Also ID'ing someone who doesnt have ID on them and they turn out to be way over 25 :confused:
I'm hoping when this happens it will just be obvious to me, surely I can tell the difference of someone who is 18 and 25.

I get really pissed off when I'm asked for ID but obviously now I get it. Also on the training day mentioning all about the consequences of serving under aged people has made me constantly on edge.

Do you think I should just ID everyone I doubt, even if it turns out they're like 30 odd? At the end of the day I'd rather not have a criminal record over something so petty. Sorry about this being wordy, just it's been bothering me and I couldn't find help anywhere else.

Cheers in advance.
You should ID everyone you doubt, as it's much better to be safe than sorry. Most who are way over 25 will be quite pleased to have been mistaken for younger. Of course you'll get the 30 year olds who don't carry ID who get annoyed, but it's policy so you have to follow it. You'd always get into more trouble for selling to an underage person than having to refuse a sale through lack of ID.

It will get easier to gage who does/doesn't look over 25 so you'll be able to make decisions a lot more quickly :smile:.
Just ID everyone who looks 25 or under. Only serve them without ID if you are SURE they are over 25. In my experience (I work at Tesco), it is far better to be safe than sorry and most people who are ok don't mind quickly showing you their ID. You don't want to have to make the mistake to learn.....
Reply 3
Cheers guys! Makes me feel more at ease. Obviously i'd rather take a bit of sh*t off an underager or a 30+ than go before the Magistrates :smile:
Hi I've worked in pubs twice and one was a wetherspoons so they're usually very strict. It's hard (I'm 18 and don't look it too) but it has to be done. You might get people getting annoyed but you're always safe and really they should understand. Just remind them it's your job and if it isn't done you could get in serious trouble. Usually people that are young always bring ID so it's possible they're underage when they don't have it.
I know it's hard but you get used to it. Any trouble and you have managers and other staff behind your back so don't worry too much :smile:
Reply 5
When I've worked bars I always thought that I'd much rather be yelled at by an irate 20-something than risk a 5 grand fine. If they look under 25 then you ID them.
Reply 6
i used too hate asking for ID but after 9 years of working in retail you get the hang of it, better id'ing someone rather than getting a fine though.
I cant distinguish age of people. One time i asked id for 30 year man. He was so young so i asked. From that day i feel akward to ask id

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
If its any consolation I once ID'd a 34 year old! In my defence he had a baby face and says he gets it all the time. Better to be safe than sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending