The Student Room Group

Best courses for investment banking?

Can you rank these courses by their investment banking career prospects?a) LSE- Econ
b) LSE- Business Mathematics and Statistics
c) Cambridge- Econ
d) Cambridge- Land Economy
e) UCL- Economics
f) UCL- Statistics, Economics and Finance
g) Edinburgh- Economics
h) Bristol- Economics
g) Warwick- MORSE
h) Bath- Econ
i) Oxford- Econ and Management
j) Oxford- PPE
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
God, I wish we could swear on this forum.
Seriously, don't choose your degree based on how well it might place into IB. Especially not since you've basically listed 12 identical or highly comparable courses. Do something you enjoy and do well at it.
Reply 3
Original post by Zweihander

For faaaaacks sake
Original post by doctorofsouls
Can you rank these courses by their investment banking career prospects?a) LSE- Econ
c) Cambridge- Econ
e) UCL- Economics
g) Edinburgh- Economics
h) Bristol- Economics
g) Warwick- MORSE
h) Bath- Econ
j) Oxford- PPE

All of them are good for IB, but the most suitable course has to be Mathematics, Economics and Mathematics, Economics and Statistics, Finance, Engineering. If you want to go to Sales and trade or anywhere where most money is
Reply 5
Original post by Jackfinance17
All of them are good for IB, but the most suitable course has to be Mathematics, Economics and Mathematics, Economics and Statistics, Finance, Engineering. If you want to go to Sales and trade or anywhere where most money is

Lol at these people that come on here and give career advice. It's hilarious.
Original post by Hackett
Lol at these people that come on here and give career advice. It's hilarious.

Maybe you can laugh but my advice is definitely correct since I have been informed by people who work in the field.
Reply 7
Maybe you can laugh but my advice is definitely correct since I have been informed by people who work in the field.

It's one pretty big field.
Original post by doctorofsouls
c) Cambridge- Econ
e) UCL- Economics
g) Edinburgh- Economics
h) Bristol- Economics
g) Warwick- MORSE
h) Bath- Econ
j) Oxford- PPE

Original post by Zweihander

Original post by crustz
For faaaaacks sake

Original post by Hackett

OBAMA LIED!

IRAN NEVER SAID THEY WANT TO WIPE ISRAEL OFF THE MAP

Last week, Teymoor Nabili of Al Jazeera suggested during an interview with Dan Meridor, Israel’s minister of intelligence and atomic energy, that Mr. Ahmadinejad’s rhetorical flourish had been misinterpreted. “This idea that Iran wants to wipe Israel out,” Mr. Nabili said, “now that’s a common trope that is put about by a lot of people in Israel, a lot of people in the United States, but as we know Ahmadinejad didn’t say that he plans to exterminate Israel, nor did he say that Iran’s policy is to exterminate Israel.”

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/17/israeli-minister-agrees-ahmadinejad-never-said-israel-must-be-wiped-off-the-map/

wow. hearing obama lie, when i knew full well the truth..

AMERICA HAVE THE MOST AMMOUNT OF NUCLEAR WARHEADS. THEY HAVE BEEN THE ONLY NATION TO USE A NUCLEAR BOMB!

IRAN NEEDS NUCLEAR RENEWABLE ENERGY!
Reply 9
Original post by The dark khnight
OBAMA LIED!

Last week, Teymoor Nabili of Al Jazeera suggested during an interview with Dan Meridor, Israel’s minister of intelligence and atomic energy, that Mr. Ahmadinejad’s rhetorical flourish had been misinterpreted. “This idea that Iran wants to wipe Israel out,” Mr. Nabili said, “now that’s a common trope that is put about by a lot of people in Israel, a lot of people in the United States, but as we know Ahmadinejad didn’t say that he plans to exterminate Israel, nor did he say that Iran’s policy is to exterminate Israel.”

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/17/israeli-minister-agrees-ahmadinejad-never-said-israel-must-be-wiped-off-the-map/

AMERICA HAVE THE MOST AMMOUNT OF NUCLEAR WARHEADS. THEY HAVE BEEN THE ONLY NATION TO USE A NUCLEAR BOMB!

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The dark khnight
OBAMA LIED!

I think this is one of the most sensible responses to a 'which degree gets me an IB job' thread I've ever seen.
Original post by Hackett

Yeah that's why I said sales and trade which is only one branch of IB, in M&A the degree can be very broad such as History and Economics etc. But if you want anything to do with Trading and quant analysis, you need Mathematics for essential. Also you are able to do Economics after Maths degree but the vice versa is really hard to do.
Reply 12
Yeah that's why I said sales and trade which is only one branch of IB, in M&A the degree can be very broad such as History and Economics etc. But if you want anything to do with Trading and quant analysis, you need Mathematics for essential. Also you are able to do Economics after Maths degree but the vice versa is really hard to do.

I don't need any advice thanks, and sorry to be anal but it's sales and trading*.
Original post by Hackett
I don't need any advice thanks, and sorry to be anal but it's sales and trading*.

I normally put down SELLS and Trading for some reason, but well. And good for you I suppose you know it anyway.
Reply 14
I normally put down SELLS and Trading for some reason, but well. And good for you I suppose you know it anyway.

Know what?
Original post by Hackett
Know what?

Know which course is relatively better to get into IB.
Reply 16
Know which course is relatively better to get into IB.

I know that it is a topic that is completely over done on here, when in reality it bears little weight to one securing a full time role or internship.
Original post by Hackett
I know that it is a topic that is completely over done on here, when in reality it bears little weight to one securing a full time role or internship.

I never really said anything about internship etc I am only suggesting the benefit of mathematical subjects in Sales and Trade and Quant branch of IB. Any sensible courses from any good uni will give you a shot on internship in theory. But I would stretch the importance and advantage of mathematical subjects in S&T and quant analyst role.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending