The Student Room Group

no energy.

Not sure if this is in the right place, so feel free to move.

Anyway, ever since I moved to uni I've been feeling like I've got no energy :angry: I do about the same amount of exercise as I did before I moved away, maybe a little more and my diet really hasn't changed that much. Still get a good amount of sleep (can't drink due to intolerances :redface:).

Basically hoping someone can offer me some advice, mainly about what I should be eating, because I'm thinking its probably not enough if I'm feeling lethargic all the time.

My food for the day generally is, porridge and fruit for breakfast (can't stand anything else at that time of day)
Brown bread sandwich for lunch, either chicken or tuna, with salad and some more fruit. Usually homemade flapjack too :redface:
Tea is mostly pasta, sometimes baked potatoes, mostly cooked from scratch, stuff like cabonara, lasagne, various pasta bake type things, generally have a chicken breast cut up in it somewhere.

If i need a snack I either eat yoghurts or carrot sticks tbh. If I eat too much salt my body hates me so I try to eat reasonably ok.

Anyway, I've always eaten like that, but feel meh now whereas I didn't before. Someone help? :colondollar:
If you're seeing a change in yourself that doesn't correspond with any kind of lifestyle change then I would recommend that you see a doctor :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If you're seeing a change in yourself that doesn't correspond with any kind of lifestyle change then I would recommend that you see a doctor :smile:.

Hmm. Not a bad idea actually. Never even crossed my mind lol, so thanks :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Serentonin
Not sure if this is in the right place, so feel free to move.

Anyway, ever since I moved to uni I've been feeling like I've got no energy :angry: I do about the same amount of exercise as I did before I moved away, maybe a little more and my diet really hasn't changed that much. Still get a good amount of sleep (can't drink due to intolerances :redface:).

Basically hoping someone can offer me some advice, mainly about what I should be eating, because I'm thinking its probably not enough if I'm feeling lethargic all the time.

My food for the day generally is, porridge and fruit for breakfast (can't stand anything else at that time of day)
Brown bread sandwich for lunch, either chicken or tuna, with salad and some more fruit. Usually homemade flapjack too :redface:
Tea is mostly pasta, sometimes baked potatoes, mostly cooked from scratch, stuff like cabonara, lasagne, various pasta bake type things, generally have a chicken breast cut up in it somewhere.

If i need a snack I either eat yoghurts or carrot sticks tbh. If I eat too much salt my body hates me so I try to eat reasonably ok.

Anyway, I've always eaten like that, but feel meh now whereas I didn't before. Someone help? :colondollar:

Bananas and nuts are really good for energy! See a doctor and ask if you can get some blood tests to see if your thyroid function and everything is alright
Reply 4
Following Angel_Kxox, moving to uni is one of the biggest lifestyle changes you have made to date. It is probably to do with stress as well as a ****ed up sleeping pattern.

I would find your diet quite stodgy, I'm no dietician but eating bread, potatoes and pasta is the sort of thing that makes me lethargic myself.

You may just be getting older...

There's something to be said for "bad foods", with their sudden release of energy (not to mention the feel-good factor of chocolate etc) they can actually be a great boost to your well-being and a nice top-up as your energy levels fluctuate during the day.

At uni you may be getting up at a different time each day according to your patchy lectures. Your body doesn't know whether it's coming or going. Get a routine going, difficult as it is with a uni timetable. Compare how at school you were up at 7:30 and home at 4:30 day in, day out, with breaks at the same time each day.
If you are absolutely sure your sleeping pattern hasn't changed (both duration and quality of sleep) then go see a doctor. If you're still getting 7-8 hours of good quality sleep each night then it's worth a check up tbh. Have you noticed any unexplainable weight loss/low HR/cold when you shouldn't be?
Reply 6
Pretty sure sleeping hasn't changed. My block is ridiculously quiet, and I'm always up at 7:30 for swimming anyway, so pretty much the same routine as when I was working full time.

I do obvs have chocolate now and again, tbh, who doesn't :tongue:.

I don't have any scales but think my clothes still fit the same as they did before (probably not the best judgement, but I don't know anyone who actually has scales!)

My resting HR has always been pretty low but have been getting headrushes all the time when standing up etc which I've never had before :erm:

who knows. thanks guys for your help, do appreciate it :yy:
Reply 7
Sounds more like a mental issue if you have your diet, exercise etc down. Have you settled in well at uni etc?
Reply 8
Most likely stress or depression related if everything else is as normal (diet, sleep, activities).

You should go and see your GP. It might be nothing to worry about but a check up won't harm.
Reply 9
I thought I'd settled in quite well :redface: good group of mates, people on my corridor are my type of people, joined some socs, doing lots of sport again... things are good. Don't think I'm stressed cuz I get pissy when I'm stressed haha, and I had pretty moderate depression for a couple years but has gone ever since I found the right medication :colondollar:

Will go docs anyway, can't hurt.
Reply 10
I thought I'd settled in quite well :redface: good group of mates, people on my corridor are my type of people, joined some socs, doing lots of sport again... things are good. Don't think I'm stressed cuz I get pissy when I'm stressed haha, and I had pretty moderate depression for a couple years but has gone ever since I found the right medication :colondollar:

Will go docs anyway, can't hurt.

Even if you don't feel 'stressed out' as in vexed, you could still be under other kinds of stress.

I mean, changes of lifestyle, even if enjoyable can be a lot to deal with. If everything is new and you are going out and making new friends, it all takes energy whether mental or physical.
Reply 11
Original post by Mark85
Even if you don't feel 'stressed out' as in vexed, you could still be under other kinds of stress.

I mean, changes of lifestyle, even if enjoyable can be a lot to deal with. If everything is new and you are going out and making new friends, it all takes energy whether mental or physical.

yeah you do have a fair point tbh, just didn't expect any of these responses haha, just thought I wasn't eating enough. thanks.
Reply 12
yeah you do have a fair point tbh, just didn't expect any of these responses haha, just thought I wasn't eating enough. thanks.

That is also possible but hard for anyone to tell over a forum, especially if you are maintaining your weight.

You could try eating a little more but it sounds like you already make the effort to eat something when you feel hungry.

Quick Reply

Latest