Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Champions League Thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 36 followers

Added a poll to this thread. :yy:

Also, I'm feeling pessimistic, so I'm going to predict a Chelsea win. :nothing:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm supporting Chelsea but I have no idea who'll actually win.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    By all respect, I highly doubt that Chelsea will win it. Yes, everything is possible in this Champions League, but if its about who's more likely to win it's without doubt Bayern. Chelsea for sure have a chance, but I really can't see them beating Bayern in their stadium.

An interesting fact: Bayern lost the CL final in 1999 but won it 2 years later. Similar could happen if they win this year (they lost the final in 2010)
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread already? Yes, Bayern are favourites but we should give them a good game, one would hope. If we have Luiz and Cahill fit, then our defence isn't too much weakened - we'll just be down to the bare bones with regards to our bench...

I predict 2-0 Bayern, but it's an extremely tentative prediction.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim_Metrin)
    Of all the english teams to go through it had to be the one who played possibly the ****test football for a team they have. sigh could have had the likes of United, Arsenal or City try to play football instead we have the ones who just sit in the box...
    :facepalm: Yes, we were extraordinarily defensive against Barcelona - but don't pretend your club would have done any differently with success against Barcelona. Don't forget that we're the side that put four past Napoli, countered Benfica with success, stormed to victory against Valencia and only recently put five past Tottenham. We can attack very well at times.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    since bayern beat real madrid i really really want chelsea to win, plus it would be fun to see torres score again
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jade74)
    since bayern beat real madrid i really really want chelsea to win, plus it would be fun to see torres score again
    I think that Torres has used up his quota for this season now...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea are the only team that truly deserve it and the only team who have been modest to deserve a place in the final on merit, some of the squad have been so near yet so far with this competition (losing that final in Moscow and more than a few semis) and at least actually have a more legitimate claim to actually be in this competition.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If Newcastle come fourth, Bayern FTW! If they don't come fourth, come on Chelsea!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    2005/2006 season Liverpool were defending Champions but finished outside of top 4.

All top 4 qualified for the Champions League and Liverpool went into a playoff round at the expense of a Welsh qualifier - who agreed to do a playoff because knew they were crap, but could do with the money and publicity that came from being beaten by Liverpool.

Either that, or they fancied making headlines by putting Liverpool out.
    Whereas Everton drew Valencia. Eurgh.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    I think that Torres has used up his quota for this season now...
    hahaha.. thats true!! lets just hope bayern's defence makes a huge mistake like barcelona's
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    If we have Luiz and Cahill fit, then our defence isn't too much weakened - .
    Surely your other defenders Cole Ivanovic Mikel Bosingwa Meireles Mata Ramires Lampard and Drogba will cover for them if they are out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Surely your other defenders Cole Ivanovic Mikel Bosingwa Meireles Mata Ramires Lampard and Drogba will cover for them if they are out.
    I get the joke, but those 3 are suspended

If Luiz and Cahill recover in time their defense looks okay, but Cahill might not make it and even if both make it, they still won´t have trained properly for a few weeks, there´s a huge difference between a player who´s just got back from an injury and one in great form.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catilina)
    I get the joke, but those 3 are suspended

Lol I completely forgot about that
    My joke still stands though.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to say, but I wish the best of luck for Bayern. I was impressive how Bayern has fought against Madrid to the road of final. No doubt, it would be deserve.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapelTom)
    I really want Chelsea to win, Di Matteo has been an inspiration since he came in, a really likeable manager. I've admired Chelsea's guts to come from behind in Napoli in the Round of 16, get past Benfica and then put in a near perfect performance over two legs to stop Barcelona playing. People can say what they like about those two legs but surely the object of the game is to score more goals than the opposition? They did so, they stopped Barca scoring and still scored 3 goals over 2 legs (yes Barca's defence is a major weak point)

I don't want Bayern to win because of their cheat, Arjen Van Robben. I have absolutely no respect whatsoever for him at all. A player who is incapable of using his right foot, moving like a hockey stick in a clockwise motion (yes Hockey sticks go anti-clockwise but you'll what I mean) to try and get the ball away on his left foot.

However I think on home turf Bayern will prevail and win the game 2-0.
    You are bashing Robben for nothing.Divier Drogba dived more against Barcelona in one game than any other player in the entire season.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you can't see what Robben has done in the past (as well as part of the cheating Dutch World Cup 2010 side) then I'm afraid you know little about football. Robben is worse than Drogba. Drogba may have dived a bit against Barca but Robben does it every single game, Drogba does not.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think and hope Bayern absolutely destroy Chelsea, who are not a world class team whatsoever. Even if it is a draw Chelsea are ****ed because Germans never lose on penalties.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    I think and hope Bayern absolutely destroy Chelsea, who are not a world class team whatsoever. Even if it is a draw Chelsea are ****ed because Germans never lose on penalties.
    Bayern isn't a german side though is it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I stated a few OPINIONS, this being a forum. Detailed why I wanted Chelsea to win (as a complete neutral), then saying but I think Bayern will win. Can you not honestly see the difference between "who I want to win" and "who I think will win" ?

I actually couldn't get less who wins. I have no affiliation will either side. I support a Championship club, not a glory hunter, so so what if I don't like Robben? I don't like Drogba either if I'm frank but after Robben's WC2010 showing I cannot bring myself to like him at all.

But you have a point, Bayern won't lose on penalties.

For all you haters, I've deleted my post.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 22, 2013
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.