The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it's all about context, sometimes people may just be trying to make friendly conversation if they pick up an accent. :smile:
I'm used to people asking me, as I'm living in England but still have a somewhat strong Welsh accent. I don't consider it rude.
Reply 22
I get such questions in completely different way. I mean, people are just interested in you, in your background. I consider it even polite.
Reply 23
Original post by a443s
Is it just me, or is it a tad rude and obtrusive?

It annoys me when people ask me, not because I'm ashamed (not at all), but rather they act like I owe it to them to tell them where I come from.

I know often they don't mean it in a mean way, but I would never go round asking people where they come from, never mind asking strangers.

I got asked today at a fast food restaurant by one of the staff. As usual, the conversation went in the usual way;

him: where are you from?
me: UK
him: ah, but where
me: London
him: i mean what country

I felt a tad offended after this to be honest. I feel like a doormat when people think they can just ask anything they want. But at the same time i don't want to turn around and tell them it's none of their business, because they may not mean it in a sinister way, nor do i have anything to hide.

Just let them know that you're offended. They'll think you're an utter tosser and they won't talk to you anymore. Problem solved.

Seriously, I've had easily offended 'friends', they are an absolute drag to spend any time with.
Not really, being Asian other Asian people will always ask you 'Where you from? (ethnicity-wise)' and 'What religion are you?' You get used to it.
Reply 25
No it never happened and it will never happen.
You should be proud of your background , culture, ethnicity. I was born outside of the UK and am British by descent and not right. I have no problem when I am asked about where I was born etc. I do not feel that it is racist to ask about people’s backgrounds or cultures etc. After all we humans are inquisitive beings. I for one am sorry you feel offended. Good luck
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest