The Student Room Group

Going back to college

To cut a long story short I messed up and now want to sort my life out.

I completed the first year of college a couple of years ago, and dropped out. I got my certificate for the BTEC National Diploma ICT course I was doing.

Now I'm 21. And it's nearly November.

I really want to complete the last year of the course I did and then go to University.

Will I have to pay now? My current employment status is unemployed, are there any government schemes or something where I could get the costs covered or some of the costs covered? If not how much would it be to go back?

I think it might be too late now to get into a course, I hope not because I will catch up if needed.

I did have a quick look on google but couldn't really find the right answers so I thought I'd try here and see if anyone knew?

Sorry if this in the wrong forum btw.
Reply 1
Oh my god, i'm in near enough the same situation!

I dropped out of College 8 months into my Level 3 ICT BTEC to go into an apprenticeship.

I now completely regret the decision and i'll be hopefully returning to college next year for the two year course.

However the only difference between me and you is i'm 18 now, but i know the feeling bro and it's **** ;/
Reply 2
bump this
Reply 3
this thread si so depresing, OP= Poundland for next 40 yrs
Reply 4
Original post by Vodge

I completed the first year of college a couple of years ago, and dropped out. I got my certificate for the BTEC National Diploma ICT course I was doing.

I really want to complete the last year of the course I did and then go to University.

Will I have to pay now? My current employment status is unemployed, are there any government schemes or something where I could get the costs covered or some of the costs covered? If not how much would it be to go back?

I think it might be too late now to get into a course, I hope not because I will catch up if needed.

I did have a quick look on google but couldn't really find the right answers so I thought I'd try here and see if anyone knew?

Im not sure about any government schemes but a community college by me does their courses free or at reduced cost for people over 19 who are on benefits maybe you could see if one by you does the same? Youll still be able to claim benefits if your course is 16 hours or less a week, theres also an adult learning grant but I dont know much about this. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Where abouts are you located? My advice would be to go to a careers service like connexions asap as they'll have more informed people to give you advice. Time is against you really so the sooner the better.
Reply 6
Original post by Vodge

If you are 19+ you have to pay, for my college it was around £1600 per year, but you can get the fees waived if you don't have a level 3 qualification (level 3 btec, alevels etc.) or are on income based JSA (this is specific to my college not sure if they are all the same)
It's definitely not too late to start college, i'm 21 and doing college and im not the oldest, we have people aged 28, in their 40s and one lady even in her early 60's.
Hiya, not sure if this is 100% correct but this is what i believe is to be correct - if you haven't achieved that level of qualifications before then it should be free for you, if you could find out what level the BTEC qualification you got is and it turns out to be a lower level than what you're wanting to do it should be fine and you shouldn't have to pay!
But i'm not completely sure about this, hope you find an answer!
Reply 8
[QUOTE=angel.iced

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats only if you havent achieved Level 2 (eg. 5 gcses at grade C, NVQ or BTEC level 2) before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending