The Student Room Group

Access Course Funding

Hi there,

I am 21 and have found myself in a catch 22 situation trying to get funding for my Access Course. Prior to starting in September I called up Housing Benefit to clarify that I could claim as a full-time student in further, not higher, education. The lady said yes.

Since I've had work during summer and throughout this first term I've not been stressing about finance and have just been getting on with the course. A couple of weeks back the work showed signs of dying off (being seasonal), which I expected, so I applied for Housing Benefit. This was rejected.

When I called up I was told I was ineligible because i am a full-time student over 21. Has the man on the phone made a mistake? I will talk to my college again but it seems all they have to offer is support for materials and travel etc...

I was wondering if anyone else is claiming housing benefit on an access course. It seem madness. I cant get jobseekers or housing benefit because I'm a mature student in full-time education, but I am also not eligible for a student loan because I'm not in higher education.

A further point would be that even if I was working enough hours to pay both rent and bills I would be struggling to find time to cope with the heavy work load.

Seems like I'm in some weird benefitless loophole.

-Arthur
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending