The Student Room Group

Surrounded by people but feel so lonely

I'm back at uni and feel so down at the moment.

I only have 6 contact hours a week (have 3 days a week off) and i'm so bored with all this free time. Today I haven't even bothered to get dressed, i've just been looking up random **** on the internet all day.

I have a lovely group of friends and when i'm around them i'm happy, but if i'm not they don't give a ****. Nobody ever texts me or talks to me, i don't go on Facebook chat cos i know nobody is going to talk to me. The only person who i try and talk to often replies in 1 word answers as if they are too polite to say ''go away''. Over the summer, the only ones who bothered to keep in contact were the ones who stayed here and i saw regularly.

I do know people outside of them but they are just acquaintances, we'll say hi if we bump into each other but that is it. I don't have many opportunities to meet new people as my course is very unsociable. I love my job because i talk to everyone and know lots of people but i never see or talk to them outside of work.
I don't have a family or any home friends. Nor do I have a relationship and there is no possibility of that ever changing.

What can i do here? Its badly affecting my work.
Reply 1
You have a lot of free time? Join Societies, any that interest you or try go to any taster sessions.

It may be unnerving going alone but I've done it to a lot of things and I'm part of a lot with lots of people I see and talk to every day.
Find something you want to do and do it, get talking to others doing the same and I'm sure you'll have better friends in no time.
Original post by Anonymous
and there is no possibility of that ever changing.

I hate that feeling ! I know how you feel :frown: Firstly you need to change your whole attitude towards being lonely. Positive people like being around other positive people so try look at things a little more optimistically :biggrin: When your out with your friends try asking them " what are you doing on the weekend ? Wanna go so and so" If they know your interested in going out with them then maybe they will begin to ask you out x

Like the above poster said you can always meet people that have similar interests to yourself at uni, take the jump and sign up even if you don't go with anyone you can meet alot of people and make some friends.

I think the most important thing is for you to be comfortable in your own company and to enjoy being alone. Not lonely. Have just one hobby you can enjoy yourself to have some me time. I don't know if your a girl or boy so I can't give suggestions that are gender specific , but you know what I mean. Once you have your own hobbies you enjoy on your own you will become more interesting and everyone likes hanging with the interesting folk :biggrin: You'll be alright

Take up Solo Travel maybe ? I'm couchsurfing on my own in italy...life just got interesting. Give it a go !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending