The Student Room Group

Very confused - What's the best university I could get into with these grades?

Hi,

Due the situation arising that I did not want to continue with two out of four of my AS levels because I despised them, I am currently doing this in sixth form:

Year 1

AS History (got an A, resat first unit)
AS Government and Politics (got an A, resat first unit)
AS Geography (got an E)
AS Literature (got a D)

Year 2

A2 History (predicted A, will try to get A*)
A2 Government and Politics (predicted A, will try for A*)
AS Psychology
AS Sociology

Year 3

A2 Psychology (will try for A)
A2 Sociology (will try for A)
AS Economics

My GCSE's were a combination of mostly B's and C's. Would it be worth retaking GCSE's at this stage to attain some A*s?

I'm looking to do a Politics degree,

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
3years is quite a lot of time for alevels which may discourage universities, exeter just accepted a third year student, if they do politics might be nice, but the fact you got a lot of resits puts you more in an ABB or AAB UNI Russel groups wont really like the amount of resits you've done + the years you've have. I'm not an expert though, I just would assume that from TSR and online research.
Reply 2
"What's the best university I could get into with these grades?"

'Best' is completely subjective. Look around at universities/courses that you like and have a reasonable chance of getting an offer from.

Pay no attention to league tables or the opinions of others. They're absolute rubbish.

retaking GCSE's at this stage to attain some A*s

I'd imagine not. Spend that time studying for A levels. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
You have a really wide spread of subjects.
If your a domestic student, and you have the time, I would really look into retaking some of your GCSE's. But honestly, with a D and an E, i don't know if it would substantially improve your chances at getting into a much better university.
Here, i'm applying for a similar "politics" course. (mine is with Int. Rel though )

What I found was
University of East Anglia had lower requirements (BBB i think?)
York wanted a good set of (ABB or AAB)
And Bath wanted an AAA
LSE looked for an AAB
so on.

You have solid A*'s and A's, but the D and the E really drag it down. Maybe instead of focusing on the IGCSE's, is there any way you can raise the D and the E? to at LEAST a C or a B?

At the end of the day, A levels are more important than GCSE's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending