The Student Room Group

Is sex objectively more satisfying than masturbation?

Something of a question for the medically-orientated SRers.

Why does sex feel more satisfying than masturbation? Objectively and physiologically, it's the same act (stimulating yours bits until you ejaculate). But masturbation doesn't seem to result in that... existential contentment and goodwill to all creatures one experiences after having sex. The sense of relief seems more physical in masturbation, and lasts for minutes rather than a day or two.

Also, physically, masturbation seems to result in my.. ahem.. cum dribbling all over my hand, whereas the sex act often has it ending up over a foot away. What's the physiological basis for this? At its core, physiologically, it's exactly the same (seemingly). What's the deal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry this isn't scientific, but I actually find masturbation (with my vibrator) more stimulating that sex. Sometimes sex just doesn't do it for me, as most of the time the guy is packing a very mini lunch box so cant hit the spot or he just does not know how to have sex. With my vibrator, I am in control and always orgasm and always cum-deeply satisfied.
Reply 2
It isn't always more satisfying tbh. Ive had better times with my hand at times..
It's human nature to enjoy something more with someone else than they would on their own. No one wants to be lonely.
Original post by Law2013
Sorry this isn't scientific, but I actually find masturbation (with my vibrator) more stimulating that sex. Sometimes sex just doesn't do it for me, as most of the time the guy is packing a very mini lunch box so cant hit the spot or he just does not know how to have sex. With my vibrator, I am in control and always orgasm and always cum-deeply satisfied.

The reason I say physiological is that I never ejaculate into my own eye (I'm not joking, that's what happened tonight) when I masturbate, whereas cumming a reasonably distance is fairly predictable when I'm having sex with another person. Also, the sensation of satisfaction and calm lasts about five minutes when I masturbate, whereas it lasts a couple of days after sex.

Certainly I'd say it might be different with men and women

(Re mini lunch box... demand a cock pic or cop a feel first!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by >Untitled<
It's human nature to enjoy something more with someone else than they would on their own. No one wants to be lonely.

I know what you mean, but physiologically, why does it feel better? Of course it's emotionally more satisfying, but I experience physical things that suggest the body/brain processes it differently. Keen to find out if there is any basis for this

(In fairness, I've had my fair share of rubbish sex too, but none of the best w*nks really compare with the best shags I've had)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by MostUncivilised
The reason I say physiological is that I never ejaculate into my own eye (I'm not joking, that's what happened tonight) when I masturbate, whereas cumming a reasonably distance is fairly predictable when I'm having sex with another person. Also, the sensation of satisfaction and calm lasts about five minutes when I masturbate, whereas it lasts a couple of days after sex.

The feeling of satisfaction lasts a few days after sex? Wow...I am yet to experience that satisfaction!! Just a random guess, re cumming in eyes with females (I assume) and cumming on hand when masturbating, maybe it is to do with the angles or something, your penis may be angled at a certain way when you masturbate then when you penetrate. Sorry, I am making your penis sound like a triangle.
Original post by Law2013
The feeling of satisfaction lasts a few days after sex? Wow...I am yet to experience that satisfaction!! Just a random guess, re cumming in eyes with females (I assume) and cumming on hand when masturbating, maybe it is to do with the angles or something, your penis may be angled at a certain way when you masturbate then when you penetrate. Sorry, I am making your penis sound like a triangle.

Lol I laughed my arse off at that triangle penis comment. I don't want to be too graphic, but it was with another guy and there was no penetration involved (hence the ability for the cum to travel from point A to point B).

I actually find it hard to cum with penetration, so it really is essentially the same act.

In terms of the satisfaction, the "Ahhh! Phew!" feeling (If you know what I mean) lasts maybe a couple of hours compared to five minutes, but the feeling of "existential contentment and goodwill to all creatures", as I put in my OP, seems to last for a day or two. I find it easier to concentrate on my reading, I'm less tetchy etc
Original post by >Untitled<

While that is true for most things, I am not so sure it is for sex/masturbation.

Good masturbation (well, it's always good, since you know best how to please yourself) is surely better than bad sex, at least in terms of levels of physical pleasure. Emotionally, sex wins, hands down.
Reply 9
Lol I laughed my arse off at that triangle penis comment. I don't want to be too graphic, but it was with another guy and there was no penetration involved (hence the ability for the cum to travel from point A to point B).

I actually find it hard to cum with penetration, so it really is essentially the same act.

In terms of the satisfaction, the "Ahhh! Phew!" feeling (If you know what I mean) lasts maybe a couple of hours compared to five minutes, but the feeling of "existential contentment and goodwill to all creatures", as I put in my OP, seems to last for a day or two. I find it easier to concentrate on my reading, I'm less tetchy etc

A guy sucked you off? Ah I get it now the satisfaction lasting a few days...yeah I am normally in a good mood a while after sex, good sex though-bad sex tends to make me angry and hate the world. Gosh It has been a while since I have had sex.
Original post by Law2013
A guy sucked you off? Ah I get it now the satisfaction lasting a few days...yeah I am normally in a good mood a while after sex, good sex though-bad sex tends to make me angry and hate the world

That's only the case for me when I'm the one that has to go home afterwards ;-)

Gosh It has been a while since I have had sex.

They really need to invent a Grindr for straight people (then again, I'm not sure the gender dynamics would allow that kind of thing to work)

Edit : Tried to thumbs up your comment but I seem to have been too promiscuous ratings-wise today
Reply 11
Grindr?!
Original post by Law2013
Grindr?!

I actually just did a post about this on the relationships forum, fascinating subject (interested as I am in gender dynamics).

Link to its wiki page

I've never had sex but I've cum in my eye (once in my mouth, was gross :/) after after a ****, does that mean I'll cum like a hosepipe when I have sex? lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 14
Utter LOL @ cum'ing in your own eye and mouth, sorry.
Reply 15
I just find when two people are really enjoying sex, that it all feels better, theres a mutual satisfication, especially if you can ensure your orgasms are at the same time, or that's what I've found, its the fun and pleasure of two people doing something together, also the idea of the cum thing and ending up more of a distance shall we say, I find when I have sex it lasts a lot longer than masturbation, sex can last 30mins-1hour for me and I am able to 'stop' myself this builds u and becomes more "powerful"(?) where as I find masturbation is more of reaching the goal quicker for myself than pleasuring someone else in sex.
To be completely honest I think I might enjoy masturbation more than sex. I know what I'm doing and I know exactly what I like, orgasming through sex is so much more difficult.
I find it varies... sometimes I find sex more satisfying, sometimes masturbation. With masturbation there's sort of no limit to orgasm... you can just keep going and going and only think of yourself, and it's generally quicker and easier to find the angle that suits you best.

But sometimes masturbation just isn't enough, and I definitely find really good sex with my boyfriend tends to blow mastubation out of the water.
When you're a single guy, part of the satisfaction in getting laid is the feeling of accomplishment in getting the girl to have sex with you. Masturbation is boring and repetitive, whereas sex is exciting and different from what you're used to. Also guys love the ego boost from sex which they don't get from masturbation.

Taking a scientific standpoint I think it's down to the massive surge of oxytocin which is released during sex, due to the skin-to-skin contact, and that's what keeps you feeling good for longer.
Reply 19
I know what you mean, but physiologically, why does it feel better? Of course it's emotionally more satisfying, but I experience physical things that suggest the body/brain processes it differently. Keen to find out if there is any basis for this

(In fairness, I've had my fair share of rubbish sex too, but none of the best w*nks really compare with the best shags I've had)

W*nking is just taking yourself in hand, stroking a little bit and then you're done. Go off and make lunch, finish watching Spongebob, whatever, don't think more about it.

I don't know what people do when they have sex, but doesn't it involve kissing and cuddling and stuff which adds to the experience? If you were just having a quick w*nk using a vagina as a hand and jumped straight back into your daily routine, would that make it on par with a lonely solo jerk off?

Latest

Trending

Trending