The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Astronomy 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ozzyoscy
I didn't struggle with my coursework, it's that I did it all just before the deadline. I didn't realise drawing the moon would take so long. If I had done a section every two weeks, it would've been fine.

I did it 2008 - 2009.

Oh right, so how did you do on the coursework then? Lol, I'm hoping for nothing less than a C as that's what everyone before me at my school got :L
Reply 21
Original post by salmon-aiman
Oh right, so how did you do on the coursework then? Lol, I'm hoping for nothing less than a C as that's what everyone before me at my school got :L

All I knows is what I got for my final grade.

I was unfortunate enough to be born in 1987, which means when I was doing GCSEs, C was the benchmark, but a few years later B became the benchmark. Not that I got many Cs or any Bs anyway. >_>
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm doing moon features for unaided and constellation drawings for aided, for me astronomy coursework is harder than chemistry/physics/biology coursework!!! Panicking because the exam is in may and we've only done 2 topics out of 4 :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by kmiab
I'm doing moon features for unaided and constellation drawings for aided, for me astronomy coursework is harder than chemistry/physics/biology coursework!!! Panicking because the exam is in may and we've only done 2 topics out of 4 :frown:

Do you have a textbook on GCSE Astronomy? Classes are just a bonus addition (or time-consuming addition) rather than a requirment to succeed. If you've got the textbook, read it and remember what you have to do questions, you're in 'A' territory.
Original post by kmiab

Haha, dont worry about the coursework, it's reallly hard to do well in it, and forget about the classes lol, I am just learning the textbook.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Do you have a textbook on GCSE Astronomy? Classes are just a bonus addition (or time-consuming addition) rather than a requirment to succeed. If you've got the textbook, read it and remember what you have to do questions, you're in 'A' territory.

No but i'm using this really good website, it's just more fun when we learn as a class but i think i'm going to have to start learning it on my own now
http://www.astronomygcse.co.uk/AstroGCSE/New%20Site/IndexNew.htm

Excellent website for revision and learning, it gets better every year :h:
Are there any areas of the course anyone here is finding difficult?

I'm willing to help you out if there are! :h:
Original post by boumavilla
Are there any areas of the course anyone here is finding difficult?

I'm willing to help you out if there are! :h:

Yay, I could do with some haha!
do they go harsh on the markingo f the controlled assessment as thats what I'm most worried about :frown: also i did about 40 pages for my constellations coursework... will they think i've like you know, gone and like cheated or something because my teacher knows I haven't and well, I havent haha, but would that look dodgy? a lot of it is tables and then there's like 10 pages of drawings erm.... :L
i'm currently doing my sundial coursework which I have no clue about! -___- sigh :frown:
Original post by zintanax
Yay, I could do with some haha!
do they go harsh on the markingo f the controlled assessment as thats what I'm most worried about :frown: also i did about 40 pages for my constellations coursework... will they think i've like you know, gone and like cheated or something because my teacher knows I haven't and well, I havent haha, but would that look dodgy? a lot of it is tables and then there's like 10 pages of drawings erm.... :L
i'm currently doing my sundial coursework which I have no clue about! -___- sigh :frown:

Well, I did about 27 pages for my lunar observations coursework :innocent: compared to my coursework for the constellations, I think I only did about 3 for that! :tongue:
So I wouldn't say it was that bad, but perhaps you could read through it and see what is unnecessary and maybe change the font of your writing?
If it's mostly charts then don't worry! It wouldn't look dodgy, they've got to have some clever candidates! :wink:
I didn't do the sundial coursework though. :dontknow:

Although I meant the actual course itself which you will be tested on in the exam! :biggrin:
It's because to boost my UCAS application for next September I'm going to make some revision videos :h: So feel free to ask for some help!
Well, I did about 27 pages for my lunar observations coursework :innocent: compared to my coursework for the constellations, I think I only did about 3 for that! :tongue:
So I wouldn't say it was that bad, but perhaps you could read through it and see what is unnecessary and maybe change the font of your writing?
If it's mostly charts then don't worry! It wouldn't look dodgy, they've got to have some clever candidates! :wink:
I didn't do the sundial coursework though. :dontknow:

Although I meant the actual course itself which you will be tested on in the exam! :biggrin:
It's because to boost my UCAS application for next September I'm going to make some revision videos :h: So feel free to ask for some help!

Oh phew hahaha, i didnt want to look eagerly keen or anything! :L
Hah thanks yeah I will!
Yeah my sundial sucks, oh yeah I just needd to complain, getting all the frustration out ahah!
Oh that's a pretty good idea! OHH you could set up a website about it, like use one of them website maker things, and set up an astronomy website with past papers, hints and tips, etc etc, and put your revision materials on there! :h:
...I am howevera bit confused about some stars stuff though like the evolution of stars, hate that section! :rolleyes:

oh yeah and my d of e expedition is two days before my exam, wahey, clearly going to get some revision done then haha!
Oh phew hahaha, i didnt want to look eagerly keen or anything! :L
Hah thanks yeah I will!
Yeah my sundial sucks, oh yeah I just needd to complain, getting all the frustration out ahah!
Oh that's a pretty good idea! OHH you could set up a website about it, like use one of them website maker things, and set up an astronomy website with past papers, hints and tips, etc etc, and put your revision materials on there! :h:
...I am howevera bit confused about some stars stuff though like the evolution of stars, hate that section! :rolleyes:

oh yeah and my d of e expedition is two days before my exam, wahey, clearly going to get some revision done then haha!

I see you have found the link I posted not far above regarding revision? :biggrin:
It's not mine though, I'll make some youtube videos very soon for people like you who need my help :h:
Please though, do suggest! Evolution of stars...duly noted... :yes:

D of E seems to get in everyone's way :mmm:
Oh dear God, I properly freaked out when I got my exam timetable because this exam is right at the start of the exam season and I have yet to actually start learning this course. I am so relieved to see that other people have got good results from minimal hours of work.

For my coursework, I'm doing constellation drawing unaided and lunar features aided. I just did my constellation drawings from Stellarium, then did a quick glance to estimate the magnitude and get the colours. From what I gather, any marks lost in observation can be made up by pointing it out in analysis/evaluation, so I'm not too worried. Waiting for the moon to reappear so I can do my second piece, which I'm kind of dreading because I can't draw.

If anyone has any advice on what they found the hardest on the course, so I can mainly focus on that, it would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by checkmate14
Oh dear God, I properly freaked out when I got my exam timetable because this exam is right at the start of the exam season and I have yet to actually start learning this course. I am so relieved to see that other people have got good results from minimal hours of work.

For my coursework, I'm doing constellation drawing unaided and lunar features aided. I just did my constellation drawings from Stellarium, then did a quick glance to estimate the magnitude and get the colours. From what I gather, any marks lost in observation can be made up by pointing it out in analysis/evaluation, so I'm not too worried. Waiting for the moon to reappear so I can do my second piece, which I'm kind of dreading because I can't draw.

If anyone has any advice on what they found the hardest on the course, so I can mainly focus on that, it would be greatly appreciated!

Well as I said, just ask if there's a topic especially that you're stuck on! :h:
I did the exam last year and it's advisable you learn the details about the 2-3 mark questions such as the discoveries of stellar objects and features of stars like quasars and neutron stars :yep:

Btw, surely the weather has to clear up soon...
Original post by checkmate14

hahah, I did the consetllation drawings unaided too! Stellarium was a big help... Well tbh, the actual content to learn isn't toooo difficult! Yeah I'm doing my sundial and erm it's not going well ahha, but I'll be happy with an A...

Boumavilla - how did you do on the coursework and exam?
hahah, I did the consetllation drawings unaided too! Stellarium was a big help... Well tbh, the actual content to learn isn't toooo difficult! Yeah I'm doing my sundial and erm it's not going well ahha, but I'll be happy with an A...

Boumavilla - how did you do on the coursework and exam?

I got an A! :woo: Even though I taught myself for the exam in only 4-5 months.
I got a high A in the exam and a low B in the coursework :yep:

Here's my revision video for Evolution of Stars, like I promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwyW57D0xXA
I got an A! :woo: Even though I taught myself for the exam in only 4-5 months.
I got a high A in the exam and a low B in the coursework :yep:

Here's my revision video for Evolution of Stars, like I promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwyW57D0xXA

Aha, nice :smile:
OMG haha that was well quick! Wow, it's really good, I was mesmerised by the pretty drawings hahaha; did you do art by any chance at gcse?
Oh yeah and loving the music haha

oh yeah and marvin's the best haha

If I had a youtube account, i'd thumbs that up :smile: nice work and thank you!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Aha, nice :smile:
OMG haha that was well quick! Wow, it's really good, I was mesmerised by the pretty drawings hahaha; did you do art by any chance at gcse?
Oh yeah and loving the music haha

oh yeah and marvin's the best haha

If I had a youtube account, i'd thumbs that up :smile: nice work and thank you!!!

I did do Art at GCSE, but I didn't think they were that good :colondollar:
Thank you so much! :h:
Who's Marvin? :biggrin:

Remember to ask for any more help!
I did do Art at GCSE, but I didn't think they were that good :colondollar:
Thank you so much! :h:
Who's Marvin? :biggrin:

Remember to ask for any more help!

Marvin the moon dude hahah

Yeah I will aha, thanks!
My youtube channel!! :woo: