The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Astronomy 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I did it in less than a year and I don't know what I'll get.
Reply 81
Original post by Mooliopunk
Just wondering how long your courses have been, ie. 1 or 2 years

I've been doing it for a year.
Deffo harder than 2012 and 2011. Have you done the 2009 paper?

I thought the opposite!
Reply 83
I have been doing it for one year. in year 9. Been tough, but fun. I guess I would find some questions easy that you would find difficult and visa versa
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Just wondering how long your courses have been, ie. 1 or 2 years

Mine was about 7 months I think, but I was ready to do it after a month.
Reply 85
I've been doing it for a week haha. I joined a year ago but I never learnt a thing (except for doing the coursework, one of which i did in one night!) and I started reading the star learner pdf's last Wednesday night. I've been doing three hours a night, along with revision for four exams I had on Monday and Tuesday :/. I think it went well, I know I've lost at least 8 marks from not knowing the answer at all on some questions, but the rest of it went quite well :smile:. Can I ask you guys how many marks you think you dropped? I think I dropped around 30
I'm on year 11 and I just did the official final exam TODAY. It was alright, but there were a few weird questions.

Oh, and I have been doing doing the course for 2 years.

Feels so good to get off my back
Reply 87
I started the course in September (I'm in year 12), really enjoyed the subject :smile: If there was an AS, i'd definitely do it
Reply 88
When I looked over I thought I'd got around 87/120, which is an A on last year's marks, but I doubt I'll actually score that high. I got 34/40 on my coursework which is an A* so if the grade boundary for A is still 110/160, I need at least 76 on the exam... So 11 less than I thought I'd got. Fingers crossed!
I counted up the answers that I was certain on and had about 91. It was a definite improvement to the marks I was getting on my past papers last night, around 55!
I think I dropped around 20-25 marks in total but I did well on the coursework (surprisingly!) so just hope for the best for everyone!
Reply 91
I wish it was results day already so I could find out my grade! Argh!
Are we allowed to talk about the exam?
its been more than 12 hours
Reply 94
Yeah so I'm gonna talk about some answers: on the last question I got 6.1
I got 2000 for the question on the bottom of the second last page. I put parsecs as the units but I know now it was mega parsecs.
I put 11 years for the solar cycle and "+33,-33" for the latitude of sunspots question.
I put 1.31 years for Mars orbit.
Those are all the harder ones I'm unsure about
Reply 95
Original post by QuentinLau
Yeah so I'm gonna talk about some answers: on the last question I got 6.1
I got 2000 for the question on the bottom of the second last page. I put parsecs as the units but I know now it was mega parsecs.
I put 11 years for the solar cycle and "+33,-33" for the latitude of sunspots question.
I put 1.31 years for Mars orbit.
Those are all the harder ones I'm unsure about

I didn't get anything for the last question, I wasn't even sure what to do. I too got 2000 and put mpc, but only by luck as I copied from the previous question... :P
I got 11 years for the solar cycle too but put +20 because I've never understood that graph.
I didn't know what it meant by a solar... Solar SOMETHING so I just wrote 2002 x3
I got 1.31 years!
I started doing the course properly about a week ago too, using the astronomyGCSE.co.uk revision notes. There were a few things that I missed, (are we allowed to talk about the paper yet?) but overall I feel pretty confident on about 90ish, and I know about 20 are completely wrong... The other 10 or so, I guessed, out were things I'm not confident on- I suppose I'll just have to wait till August now :P
I didn't know what to write for the water coming from comets question. I just randomly put 'analysis comet sample'. Will that get me a mark?:confused:
Original post by howletg01
I didn't get anything for the last question, I wasn't even sure what to do. I too got 2000 and put mpc, but only by luck as I copied from the previous question... :P
I got 11 years for the solar cycle too but put +20 because I've never understood that graph.
I didn't know what it meant by a solar... Solar SOMETHING so I just wrote 2002 x3
I got 1.31 years!

I thought they were meant to give us 'M = m + 5 - 5 log D' equation for the last question
How about the question about Mars and its distance from the Sun and what the hell is culmination. I guessed and said the highest point in the sky that it reaches that night...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending