The Student Room Group

Geography degree or English degree ?

SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE

I don't know which to pick .. My favourite subject is geography but I couldn't see myself having a career which involved the environment or town planning etc.. I don't know what career I want :frown: someone help point me in the right direction please !

My AS grades : English C
History D
Geography C
Business B

Predicted ABB ..

please help :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
You can have a much wider range of possible careers with a Geography degree. What you have listed are the obvious ones but any degree will equip you with good skills that are useful to whole of employers and a whole range of jobs that have no obvious connection to Geography.

In order to keep you enthusiastic/motivated for 3 years, you need to do a subject that *really* interests you. If its a subject that is just a sort of 'possibly better career' compromise hen you are far more likely to get fed up and either drop out or just coast along and get a cr@ppy degree result.

Go for Geography. Look carefully at the course descriptions (human or physical geog?), look also at the 2nd & 3rd year options etc, check out the added extras (optional language course or year abroad/overseas field trips etc etc).

Good luck!
Reply 2
What careers can I go into by doing a geography degree rather than a English degree ??

Reply 3
You've already identified the Geography careers yourself. See http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/academic/geography/gettingajob/ for some other ideas.

With either degree there are vast numbers of graduate recruiters and mainstream employers that ask for 'a degree - any discipline'.

It is the level of education and intelligence they are looking for, not the subject knowledge. This can include major retail chains, the public sector (local government, national government), University administration, management within the NHS, Royal Mail etc, direct entry to the police and emergency services or the armed services, admin and management within hospitality (big hotel and restaurant chains), banking and the financial sector, television and newspapers - the list goes on and on.

So, in many ways your degree subject only matters as a way of getting a degree. Yes, you can use it in vocational ways and many people do, but for lots of subjects (English as an example) there arent actually any obvious career paths. So, you can use your degree (your 'trained head') in all of the examples above and more.

Pick a subject that excites you, that you enjoy - spend three years enjoying every moment of getting your head round it. THEN look for a career, a job, a 'what next'. Dont worry about it now. A geography degree or an English degree will serve you well whatever you decide to do 'after University'.
(edited 11 years ago)
http://careers.guardian.co.uk/careers-blog/experts-view-why-are-certain-grads-less-likely-to-be-unemployed

Geography spans the arts and the sciences giving you a really broad spectrum of career opportunities. I was in the same boat as you - English or Geography ( I wanted to be a journalist at the time) but I went with Geography as I love the subject and want to spend at least three more years studying it. You may be different, you might love English more in some ways- just go with what you love :smile:
Reply 5
I want a career to do with law or business I think but couldn't imagine studying them for 3 years .. I love geography.. just worried of careers and what I could do after university ? Would geography give me more options than an English degree ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending