The Student Room Group

2013 applicants for Glasgow School of Art and Edinburgh Art School.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by napoleons
When grouping images, there are defined sections. For GSA, it is "Observational", "Sketchbook/Development Work", and "Resolved/Finished Work". For ECA, it is very similar with "Observational/Development Work" and "Resolved/Finished Work" and from what I gather, five slides of "Inspiration" (work inspired by an artist, or an object or a subject matter). For more details on how many slides you need for each of the sections, I suggest looking at the website as Fine Art and Design applications tend to differ (with the former requiring more slides).

As for how much you should show, remember, this is only a sample of what you can do. You do not need to put all of your work on it. As well as this, as I've mentioned before, the admissions team only spend 2-3 minutes per slide and they've got to look through hundreds of applications. If you have too many images on a slide, and their eye isn't drawn to any piece in particular, they may glaze over it entirely and miss some of your impressive pieces. You want to keep it clean and sharp, make an impression on the admissions team. Have faith in having one image slides; but also balance this with having slides that may have two or three images that complement each other.

As stillIII said, they do want to see that you're productive and self-motivated (through projects you've done yourself) but also they want to see that you are selective. So that means choosing work that displays your range in skill, but also making sure that it's of a decent quality and is relevant to your work.

In regards to whether the research to link to a finished piece, I think a mix is good. Show some of the finished pieces that have derived from your research and development work, as well as finished pieces that may be unrelated just to demonstrate your skill.

I hope I explained that well... Feel free to ask more questions or examples and I'll try and respond to the best of my ability on this.

[EDIT]
This is what I mean by some pieces working well on their own; and others working well in a little group that complement one another. These two slides were included in my "Development" Section.

Oh my! I only just saw this. Just sent it off right now, took me forever to write my supporting statement but eventually got it!

I'm becoming incresingly anxious as I'm suddenly over-come with self doubt! Oh well, I can only hope for the best, but thank you!
Reply 61
Gah! Both ECA and GSA done!! Wish I'd done Glasgows earlier but I guess It means so much to me I just wanted it to be right. Thanks for the help guys. Good luck to you all!!! Fingers crossed. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 62
Original post by Raphy94
Oh my! I only just saw this. Just sent it off right now, took me forever to write my supporting statement but eventually got it!

I'm becoming incresingly anxious as I'm suddenly over-come with self doubt! Oh well, I can only hope for the best, but thank you!

Original post by Raphy94
Gah! Both ECA and GSA done!! Wish I'd done Glasgows earlier but I guess It means so much to me I just wanted it to be right. Thanks for the help guys. Good luck to you all!!! Fingers crossed. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Don't worry about it! It's done now so all you can do really is to relax and wait until you hear from them again. Be confident! (:

Same here, I wanted Glasgow's to be as perfect as possible, so I submitted it this today as well, in the afternoon.

Agreeing with you there, thanks to everyone on the thread(s) really. Good luck to everyone. (:
Reply 63
Original post by auberjean
Was checking the GSA Facebook and came across this post by someone... So the automatic email saying they received your portfolio isn't being sent because of a computer problem! So don't worry guys :biggrin:

fb gsa.png

I actually already made contact with one of the girls who were writing this on fb :biggrin: and she told me she ended up writing an email to gsa for confirmation and then they told her that everything was alright..
Was checking the GSA Facebook and came across this post by someone... So the automatic email saying they received your portfolio isn't being sent because of a computer problem! So don't worry guys :biggrin:

fb gsa.png

Jean you're my saviour. I was really worried there! :colondollar:
Good luck guys. It would be amazing if we all got offers.
Reply 66
Original post by redmoonrabbit
Good luck guys. It would be amazing if we all got offers.

And wouldn't it be funny if we all got into the same school?

We'd end up calling each other by our TSR usernames, ahaha.
And wouldn't it be funny if we all got into the same school?

We'd end up calling each other by our TSR usernames, ahaha.

Aha that would be brilliant. Would you rather go to ECA or GSA, napoleons? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by redmoonrabbit
Aha that would be brilliant. Would you rather go to ECA or GSA, napoleons? :smile:

Aahhhh, why would you make me choose?! dsghsgklds

Urrr.... ECA has a more attractive sounding course (assuming I get into the MA Fine Art one) and is so close to the two National Galleries and Edinburgh is beautifully historic...

But GSA has a more prolific history (in my opinion), more notable alumni (; (Peter Capaldi, Robbie Coltrane, Norah Neilson Gray, Jenny Saville, Alexander Stoddart etc.) is surrounded by diverse architecture, is close to home, and has been my choice since I was ten and I'm reluctant to change that, hahahaha.

So, that said, I think GSA. (I'm trying not to get too attracted to ECA because in truth, I can't afford to move out of home, lol /sob)

You?
Aahhhh, why would you make me choose?! dsghsgklds

Urrr.... ECA has a more attractive sounding course (assuming I get into the MA Fine Art one) and is so close to the two National Galleries and Edinburgh is beautifully historic...

But GSA has a more prolific history (in my opinion), more notable alumni (; (Peter Capaldi, Robbie Coltrane, Norah Neilson Gray, Jenny Saville, Alexander Stoddart etc.) is surrounded by diverse architecture, is close to home, and has been my choice since I was ten and I'm reluctant to change that, hahahaha.

So, that said, I think GSA. (I'm trying not to get too attracted to ECA because in truth, I can't afford to move out of home, lol /sob)

You?

You've basically summed up my thoughts. I couldn't decide. I'm almost hoping that I'll get into one but not the other so I don't have to decide... D:
Reply 70
OK so I have put my portfolio up here; http://www.cargocollective.com/oberjean. Please be constructive! I need to break it down a bit to fill up 25 images for ECA. Although I've got more work this week which will go towards the 25 images for ECA (like doing my shrimp screen print! VERY excited to do that!)

PS (and I know how... idk immature..? the life drawing is. It was the first time I'd done a class and I've never really done realistic / anatomy stuff.)

Oh! And if it were me, I'd choose GSA over ECA. I don't think I'll have that luxury though because it's VERY hard to get into GSA fashion. Glasgow is far enough way to be independent, so not as close as Edinburgh. And I wasn't particularly impressed with ECA's open day, either.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, is there anyone else applying to Jewellery and Silversmithing at GSA and/or ECA?
Reply 72
Just sent my e-folio to GSA ^^
Reply 73
At my portfolio class at the moment and thought I should mention a few things my tutor has pointed out:

- GSA currently experiencing technical problems which may result in images not uploading - systems frequently crashing. Tip is to not panic and keep refreshing until you can upload all images.
- Automatic emails regarding the reception of portfolios are not sending. But as long as it says upload successful, you should be fine.
- Deadline day is Tuesday (tomorrow) 22nd Dec, midnight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
At my portfolio class at the moment and thought I should mention a few things my tutor has pointed out:

- Automatic emails regarding the reception of portfolios are not sending. But as long as it says upload successful, you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

great, 'inside-information' :smile:
so just to be clear: that means if one has gotten to the end of the process (the final page that said that they would send us an email) then everything is o.k.?
Reply 75
Original post by babsiloi
great, 'inside-information' :smile:
so just to be clear: that means if one has gotten to the end of the process (the final page that said that they would send us an email) then everything is o.k.?

I just think if I were in a different position, I'd like the person in my position to share any info on the matter and help others too, ahaha.

Yes, should be fine. If you're very worried, you could always email them to double check but keep in mind they won't be sending very prompt responses as they have a lot of other things on their hands.
Reply 76
Just planned out what I am doing in each image for ECA. Should hopefully on take me 2 or 3 days to sort it all out, then I can breathe easy! I quite like how ECA allows for a 100 word caption for each image.
Reply 77
Just planned out what I am doing in each image for ECA. Should hopefully on take me 2 or 3 days to sort it all out, then I can breathe easy! I quite like how ECA allows for a 100 word caption for each image.

100 characters but yes, agreeing with you on that one too.

Also, information regarding INFLUENCES section for ECA:

- It can be images of your own work inspired by an artist or object or subject or theme
- It can be images of OTHER artists/designers work that you are influenced by
- You can include sketchbooks/work influenced by said people
- You can include research on the artists/designers/theme/subject

TL;DR: Doesn't all have to be your own work inspired by others but slides of influences.
Reply 78
I just think if I were in a different position, I'd like the person in my position to share any info on the matter and help others too, ahaha.

Yes, should be fine. If you're very worried, you could always email them to double check but keep in mind they won't be sending very prompt responses as they have a lot of other things on their hands.

thank you very much!!! well, I had emailed them earlier, but I think it's alright...if we are all in the same situation that seems an indication for me that everything's o.k. :wink:

doing the same...though I find the 100 character caption much more difficult than the folio statement for gsa...
Reply 79
Original post by babsiloi
thank you very much!!! well, I had emailed them earlier, but I think it's alright...if we are all in the same situation that seems an indication for me that everything's o.k. :wink:

doing the same...though I find the 100 character caption much more difficult than the folio statement for gsa...

100 Characters is hard but I find it a lot easier since I could essentially cut things out from the GSA statement and paste it in.

Quick Reply

Latest