The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get a 2.1?

At A-level I do pretty well in History (at AS I got over 90%) but I know that that doesn't necessarily mean I'll do well at uni. Is getting a 2.1 relatively easy assuming the appropriate amount of effort is applied? I know there's not definite answer but it would be helpful to get some opinions.
Reply 1
Well imo it should be achievable for you, I think people struggle more with keeping motivation than having enough intellectual horsepower.
Statistically it's quite 'easy'. Around 95% of students at a very good university like York get a 2:1 or First, for example.

However, underlying the numbers is a lot of ability, hard work, motivation and good teaching.

BTW, this proportion has changed over the years. Back in the 1970s, for example, only around 50-60% of History students at York received 2:1's or Firsts.
Reply 3
You have to put in the work from Day 1.

People who wake up in their 2nd Year and wish they's spent less time watching Bargain Hunt and more time doing intensive reading, dont get 2.1s or Firsts.
Reply 4
Original post by tom.west
At A-level I do pretty well in History (at AS I got over 90%) but I know that that doesn't necessarily mean I'll do well at uni. Is getting a 2.1 relatively easy assuming the appropriate amount of effort is applied? I know there's not definite answer but it would be helpful to get some opinions.

I got a 2.1 for my first year and I didn't do great at A-level. I'm not very good at exams which is why at A-level, my coursework was 80%+ and my exams were always awful.

I was able to tailor my degree around whether or not I have an exam which definitely helps.

The most important thing with getting a 2.1 at uni is to be independent. A lot of A-level students have struggled because there is more of an emphasis on independent work. You don't get drafts of essays, tutors aren't really allowed to give you lots of help in regards to your essays and in my case anyway, the lectures only really give you an overview.
Reply 5
I would say getting a 2.1 is mostly a matter of self-discipline and persistence. Most students who get 2.2 degrees are not necessarily less intelligent, but generally not as disciplined.
Reply 6
Original post by cjc3676
You have to put in the work from Day 1.

People who wake up in their 2nd Year and wish they's spent less time watching Bargain Hunt and more time doing intensive reading, dont get 2.1s or Firsts.

Bargain hunt.. BARGAIN HUNT?! :unimpressed:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending