The Student Room Group

Serious Thought Experiment involving £300billion.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carecup
Give all the money to Stephen Fry and Morgan Freeman in return for them providing a moment-by-moment narration of the rest of my life.

Haha, I doubt that they would even charge that much. You could just tell Fry and Freeman that they'd get £10billion each (that'd be more than they could dream of even with their salaries) and you'd still have some £280billion to play with :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by Mockery
And when civil war breaks out across vast areas of the uncontrollably large continent, with malitia armed by any opposing force in the world against your apparent plan for world domination, what will you do to control this and ultimately achieve your goal?

Genocide seems to be the given order of the day in such circumstances. :roll eyes:
Original post by Martyn*
Most of it would all simply go into the profit pockets of the movers and shakers.

Hence why it would actually be better for people who have cash to set up their own charities. I mean, you hear of all these large lottery winners (£40m+) who say I'll give so-and-so amount to charities, when in fact probably less than half of their money would actually eventually trickle down to the people who actually need it!
Reply 43
I'd kill myself.
I'd probably buy a few Apple products and then spend the last £4 on bus fare.
Reply 45
Only wealth creates wealth. Great you have it, so use it for the only purpose a fortune is supposed to have, namely accumulate more money, which creates yet more jobs, new technology, etc. etc. Besides, you'll have the opportunity to initiate the rise of a new economic dynasty with you as its founder. You will be mentioned together with the Rothschilds and Rockefellers. (But before that, please make sure your family name starts with an "R".)
Original post by o29m
I'd kill myself.

Why?
Reply 47
Original post by UniversalAutocrat
Why?

Give me one good reason not to.
Original post by o29m
Give me one good reason not to.

:lolwut:

Because you have £300billion?
Reply 49
:lolwut:

Because you have £300billion?

ok, I'd give it away and then kill myself.
Original post by o29m
ok, I'd give it away and then kill myself.

Why would you want to kill yourself?
Reply 51
Why would you want to kill yourself?

*looks around*
Why would you want to be alive, you weirdo?
Original post by o29m
*looks around*
Why would you want to be alive, you weirdo?

*also looks around*

Why wouldn't you? This existence is the only one I know - unless of course, you know of another (other than "life" , which would be absurd).

In terms of the scenario at hand, you have £300billion, so there is certainly no reason why you should kill yourself. Indeed, you can use some of that cash to sort out the issues that seem to make you want to kill yourself (e.g maybe a problem with certain neurotransmitters such as dopamine or serotonin) etc.
Reply 53
*also looks around*

Why wouldn't you? This existence is the only one I know - unless of course, you know of another (other than "life" , which would be absurd).

In terms of the scenario at hand, you have £300billion, so there is certainly no reason why you should kill yourself. Indeed, you can use some of that cash to sort out the issues that seem to make you want to kill yourself (e.g maybe a problem with certain neurotransmitters such as dopamine or serotonin) etc.

The main problems in this world have far more than £300 billion of support behind them. I couldn't turn the tide with that - might as well hang myself immediately.
Original post by o29m
The main problems in this world have far more than £300 billion of support behind them. I couldn't turn the tide with that - might as well hang myself immediately.

Regardless, do you not want to live anyway?
Reply 55
Original post by o29m

Excuse me, but I don't think I really understand that philosophy.

You say: "I am not given the power to relieve mankind from all its problems. Hence, I will help nobody".

Isn't it better to do as much as you can, instead of doing nothing? (BTW, no matter how much money you had, you would never achieve that goal, as terrestrial resources are restricted. Unless, of course, you had divine powers, which I honestly doubt.)

Indeed, your behaviour would kill people, at least indirectly. If you kept the £300bn, they would consequently be missing somewhere else, making other people £300bn poorer and definitely worse off than before. Maybe that's the reason for your suicide?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending