The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Roger Kirk
York is best...got nearly everything London has to offer, only it's smaller, friendlier and cheaper :biggrin:

Cambridge isn't exactly a buzzing metropolis, but it's nice enough:smile:
Reply 21
Clarence
Thats near my house, how did you know that? Weirrd.

I'm psychic.
Reply 22
Ha ha. I take it you live in the same area then. Camberwell rawks.
Reply 23
I like the grotty bits... Shoreditch! I hated Belgravia, Chelsea etc. on my many walks. Never get the wrong bus if it takes you to Camberwell though, if you're a bit pissed and confused.
Know what you mean. I prefer the east end -Dalston, Haggerston, Docklands, Mile end even......Having said that If I could choose anywhere to live, I'd go for that bit near charing cross on the river, or Bloomsbury
theres good and bad bits. shoreditch is cool, the touristy parts suck
Reply 26
Roger Kirk
York is best...got nearly everything London has to offer, only it's smaller, friendlier and cheaper :biggrin:

You spelt it wrong,

it's Manchester.
Reply 27
yeah. I'd like to live around there, Farringdon maybe if I go back. I prefer the east to the west. Some places south of the river are just grim.
You really in Patagonia?
Straas
You spelt it wrong,

it's Manchester.

Nah, don't think so....you try to spell it now

Y . O . R . K

York :biggrin:
Reply 30
lol. I lived in Notting Hill for a while. I was really good at getting the wrong buses after nights out in London, like when the 148 took me to Camberwell green not Notting Hill Gate. London's incredible because it's so diverse, walk North from Notting Hill and you find rough council estates and walk south and you see bankers. The best thing in London is taking a walk.
naivesincerity
It's also more beautiful, and people can afford to live right in the middle, in the best areas, families with kids even. In London some of the nicer areas are only affordable to seriously rich people, and families tend to live way out from the middle. It's just generally way more livable and accessable.

I always see young people jogging around like WC1, I don't understand how people can afford property there when they're like 18. God I'd love to live in central london though, fantastic lifestyle.
Out of the cities ive been to, I found New York or Prague where the nicest, in different aspects...
not
I always see young people jogging around like W1, I don't understand how people can afford property there when they're like 18. God I'd love to live in central london though, fantastic lifestyle.

Central like where? btw, those people can afford it because of the UK's always had an aristocracy and an upper class with BIG amounts of inheritance money
naivesincerity
Central like where? btw, those people can afford it because of the UK's always had an aristocracy and an upper class with BIG amounts of inheritance money

the guy i'm dating lives a couple of minutes away from embankment station, i wouldn't mind living there! i think i just have this great image of my local neighbourhood being like the epicentre of such a global city. much more likely i'll end up living near docklands though, i expect. where do people tend to live when they're young, broke, fresh faced graduates moving to london?
not
the guy i'm dating lives a couple of minutes away from embankment station, i wouldn't mind living there! i think i just have this great image of my local neighbourhood being like the epicentre of such a global city. much more likely i'll end up living near docklands though, i expect. where do people tend to live when they're young, broke, fresh faced graduates moving to london?

Well my sister doesn't have TONS of money, and she managed to live in Islington, followed by Farringdon, followed by Chalk farm..
Reply 36
I didn't ever get to Chalk Farm, or Swiss Cottage. Very intriguing names... lol
Reply 37
I think it's an amazing city - like someone said, so diverse, has twice the population of my nation (Scotland) crammed into a tiny space. The culture there is like nothing you'll find anywhere else.

It does seem to polarise opinion though. I know quite a few people who despise the place. My mother, for example, is quite entertaining - she refuses to go there at all these days and you can see her become visably nervous if we're even getting a connecting flight through Heathrow or going on the M25 to visit family in Surrey.
I think its a good city, but only for visiting. I wouldn't want to work there (the daily commute stories just put me off) unless I had an excellent wage to sustain myself - afterall it is the second most expensive city in the world.
Reply 39
people complain about stuff not going to Birmingham, that things always get put in London. But let's face it, Birmingham is a tip and has nothing offer that London has (I live very near to B'ham).

Latest

Trending

Trending