The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well London has everything so when you compare it to other cities, no other place would have every single thing you could possibly want which makes London unique. They've spent quite a bit of money doing up b'ham recently.
digitalparadox
Well London has everything so when you compare it to other cities, no other place would have every single thing you could possibly want which makes London unique. They've spent quite a bit of money doing up b'ham recently.

It does? I suppose, in the sense that you imply but it is a bit of a magnanimous claim to make though...

For example it doesn't have a cool natural wildlife aura like some African cities to de-bunk your post.
Reply 42
I love London but as a place to live my entire life in York wins. It's only two hours from London anyway so you can go there if you need to. I've been to quite a few cities in the UK now in my university open day travels and the places I would live would be York, Oxford and central London, but to live in central London properly I need to marry a millionaire or win the lottery.
AT82
The Parisians are much more relaxed, Londoners are just headless chickens rushing about and they don't care who they bang into on their way. Poeple like that exist in all cities but it is a lot worse in London.

Lol AT, you clearly have not taken the metro in Paris during the week after going to the office. Yes London is stressful but for one thing, there's still that British phlegm even if people are less relaxed than the rest of the UK. If someone is rude or pushes and shoves, it's often a tourist...

Paris is absolutely awful in that respect. People are absolute animals, lack manners and are as stressful as can be. They also will not hesitate to push you firmly away to get on the metro/RER. There's a famous saying in Paris "MΓ©tro Boulot Dodo" (Metro Work Sleep).

In my opinion:

London > Paris, Madrid, New York, Toronto...

London < Berlin, Montreal, Boston...
Reply 44
I quite like New York
true, even in very busy places english people know how to queue, be polite etc- even in london. when you get jostled etc it is normally tourists. you realise how rare it is when you go to other major world cities. that in-built level of manners is a very english thing. it's actually kind of ridiculous, but in a good way.
Reply 46
I hate tourists. Full Stop.
See, living in London myself, i do love it, but more in summer where I can go to the parks and stuff, but i like getting out of here too.
My favourite cities are infact foreign cities. I just love being abroad, but I love being British.
Reply 48
I totally agree that London has something "special" about it - I love going there, even if it is dirty and my snot comes back black! Going there on my own also makes me feel so "international" and grown up lol, not sure why.

The only other cities I can claim to really know are Munich, Melbourne, Brisbane, Seville, Moscow and St. Petersburg. I don't really think you can compare any of these to London as they are so different. I have to say though that Munich is my favourite - it's got all the city things, yet an hour's drive away is the mountains and big lakes and stuff like that. Brisbane comes second - it's so Australian.
Reply 49
The thing about London is that it is so old and the structure of the oldest parts remains - look at the narrow alleys in the City. It seems to be so dynamic, with people having bolted a new bit on whenever it has been required. Everything has history in it too, Shoreditch means something to do with the ditch at the edge of the Roman city where they dumped rubbish, for example. Nobody could ever totally take London in, there is always something new.
Reply 50
even though i've lived in london for 2 years and love it more than anything, whenever anyone asks me which bars are good, my mind always draws a blank, does that happen to anyone else?
DaintyDuck!
I love London, I think it is great! I doubt I would ever settle down in London though. I've been to many different parts of London, must say Mile End etc isn't so fab, but every city has its downfalls. Despite loving London, when I visit I do always end up getting shouted at (usually my fault though, through living in Leicester & not understanding London haha), one time I was walking in the bicycle lane through Hyde Park and somebody told me to "Get out the f***ing way", (understandable I guess ), another time down Oxford Street I was told to "f*** off" by a cyclist when I crossed the road, and a bike rider down Mile End nearly ran me over! Though it's like anywhere. I have noticed, like somebody else said that I get stared out on the tubes! Oh well, I do like Paris more!

Mile end and QMW is cool... I hate Oxford street though..Bloomsbury and Holborn are my fav's
Reply 52
everyone hates Oxford street
LibertineNorth
The culture there is like nothing you'll find anywhere else.

How so?
medic_bex
even though i've lived in london for 2 years and love it more than anything, whenever anyone asks me which bars are good, my mind always draws a blank, does that happen to anyone else?

yep, lived in london my whole life, go out every weekend, people say so where's good to go out? and there's just ...nothing... mind blank.
however lived in notts for a few years at university and could still instantly reel off a list of places I liked to go.
think it's just cos it's so big, and you go to so many different places, and most are (to be honest) rubbish and overpriced.
Reply 55
coughsyrup
everyone hates Oxford street

i do not hate it but i dont like going there. feels like its the street for rich people only - and i dont belong to that

i have a thing about camden, i know its quite a dodgy place but i feel more relaxed there - maybe cos there arent any tall buildings there
Reply 56
I absolutly HATE Oxford Street, its a street for tourists, not rich people. Im trying to go bloody shopping, and theres either tourists in my way, or swarms of posing girl looking identical!
Thats why i dont go to Oxofd Street any more, High Street Ken for me.

Anyway, London is such a great city, i'm actually really worried about moving away from London for uni. Central London is so so diverse, when i walk out of my house, theres HUGE houses on one side (like really big white houses with the steps going up to them and front gardens) and right opposite them theres a huge big estate. Theres just so much to do, and so many people to meet. Even south londons got some gems, theres so much to do in brixton at night.
I used to live in Paris and i'd much rather be living in London than there. I dont know, it just feel so exclusionist and racist, shoving all the estate along the outskirts, plus the night lifes better in London.
Reply 57
london does have lots of cool stuff. But all the people there are in such a rush they need to chill a bit, no one talks to anyone, everyone is pissed off, pushing past each other, hate the place, it's ok for a day but after that I start to get really annoyed with all the people running everywhere.
~the_one~

I used to live in Paris and i'd much rather be living in London than there. I dont know, it just feel so exclusionist and racist, shoving all the estate along the outskirts, .

Yeah but that means the inner bit's all nice....
Reply 59
naivesincerity
Yeah but that means the inner bit's all nice....

It also means that a large percent of the population, have a poor quality of life, cities arent the same when you go on holiday to them, and have to go to school/work/live in them.

Latest