The Student Room Group

Living in Belfast

Hey everyone!
I was just hoping to get some descriptions about what it's like to live in Belfast. If you live there/grew up there/attend university there I want to hear about your experiences!
What is the social scene like?
Is it a nice city to live in?
How is transportation?
How do you like going to university there?
Do you like it/why?
(Basically all of the stereotypical questions about a city)
I'm a student from the US and will probably be doing my postgraduate at Queen's University and just want to hear more about the city (aside from what can be gathered from a wikipedia/google search!)

I'd love to hear anything you have to share :smile:
Andrea
Original post by Andreaa
Hey everyone!
I was just hoping to get some descriptions about what it's like to live in Belfast. If you live there/grew up there/attend university there I want to hear about your experiences!
What is the social scene like?
Is it a nice city to live in?
How is transportation?
How do you like going to university there?
Do you like it/why?
(Basically all of the stereotypical questions about a city)
I'm a student from the US and will probably be doing my postgraduate at Queen's University and just want to hear more about the city (aside from what can be gathered from a wikipedia/google search!)

I'd love to hear anything you have to share :smile:
Andrea

I know a guy who was from the US, came to Belfast and did a postgrad in Queens, and loved it so much he stayed. He is now my lecturer here! It is honestly like most cities, maybe not just as lively as a couple of the bigger English cities but I've lived here all my life and I know if I were a student from abroad, while I mightn't choose to stay here permanently, I'd really have a great time studying here. Transportation is good with an airport close, good train and bus links.
Reply 2
I have lived in Belfast my whole life and I can see why people like or don't, the whole sectarian issue is obviously the biggest reason for it not being as popular as other cities. However, I think its not the worst place to live, its what you make of it really! :smile: It isn't as thriving with opportunities as what England would be, but a lot of the people are lovely. Its not just good for night life though, theres loads of things to do outside of the city and plenty to see! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest