The Student Room Group

To all ye Mathmos / "Economos"

Hi, I applied for a variety of courses last month (in sig) and am wondering about the mathematical content within the economics I have chosen.

Of course I anticipate to be able to explore calculus, matrices etc. but is it studied as a means to an end or for its own sake?

That is to say, would you just learn the rules of calculus, or derive/prove/consider them as well, as you would in a maths degree?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Polymath

I lied when I said "lastly" :colone: Obviously places like Warwick/Imperial/Cambridge are seen as the very elite in mathematics, but how do places like UCL/Durham/Oxford compare on a purely mathematical front? Are they a significant step down? It seems like anyone who *can* make it into the former three, will go to them instead of the latter.

Seeing as noone's replied yet :s-smilie: I'll at least give my opinion on that last bit :biggrin:

I don't think that the departments themselves are a particular step down. I mean - Oxford is of course better than both Warwick and Imperial (Though I imagine you were simply comparing it to Cambridge) Cambridge and Oxford are very close in the RAE Maths rankings (with overall (pure and applied) Oxford beating Cam) And it's really partly down to preference though that said of the 4 maths applicants from our school, only 1 is going for oxford.
They're all pretty close, and not by any means a significant step down.
To be honest I don't know any more than yourself :biggrin: But, after looking throug the unis, they don't seem that different. I think tsr can have a skewed perception sometimes - founding it's own rankings based on tons of peoples general opinions, who honestly don't have much of a clue... (like me now! :biggrin:) Or maybe not :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by dragonrabbit
Seeing as noone's replied yet :s-smilie: I'll at least give my opinion on that last bit :biggrin:

I don't think that the departments themselves are a particular step down. I mean - Oxford is of course better than both Warwick and Imperial (Though I imagine you were simply comparing it to Cambridge) Cambridge and Oxford are very close in the RAE Maths rankings (with overall (pure and applied) Oxford beating Cam) And it's really partly down to preference though that said of the 4 maths applicants from our school, only 1 is going for oxford.
They're all pretty close, and not by any means a significant step down.
To be honest I don't know any more than yourself :biggrin: But, after looking throug the unis, they don't seem that different. I think tsr can have a skewed perception sometimes - founding it's own rankings based on tons of peoples general opinions, who honestly don't have much of a clue... (like me now! :biggrin:) Or maybe not :tongue:

Thanks :smile: Love how the picture in your sig is my facebook cover photo :biggrin:

Well, if everything does NOT go to plan, then... I'll see you in Maths lectures at Durham :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks :smile: Love how the picture in your sig is my facebook cover photo :biggrin:

Well, if everything does NOT go to plan, then... I'll see you in Maths lectures at Durham :rolleyes:

:biggrin: I'll take that as a compliment to my *ahem* artistic talent...
I shall look forward to it! :colondollar:
Reply 4
:biggrin: I'll take that as a compliment to my *ahem* artistic talent...
I shall look forward to it! :colondollar:

Wait, you actually made it? I thought it was a pretty popular internet pic :erm:
Reply 5

that is assuming you get in to Durham, which is also a highly competitive place to study Maths.
Wait, you actually made it? I thought it was a pretty popular internet pic :erm:

I did indeed :biggrin: In year 8 or 9 or something on fireworks... I haven't seen it anywhere else (?)

Original post by Pride
that is assuming you get in to Durham, which is also a highly competitive place to study Maths.

Hush :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 7
I did indeed :biggrin: In year 8 or 9 or something on fireworks... I haven't seen it anywhere else (?)

Hush :tongue: :biggrin:

Umm... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fields+arrange+by+purity&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=NXaNUO22MKGw0QXajoDoAw&biw=1680&bih=949&sei=N3aNUISaCuq_0QX-ioH4CA

:laugh:

Original post by Pride

Well I'm not applying for maths, I'm applying for combined honours, which just allows me to take up to 50% maths modules

Also, Durham is my 3rd choice and I have the grades to back up my application, which is why I received an offer very quickly.
(edited 11 years ago)

Oh THAT! I thought you meant my avatar :colondollar: ^.^ Now don't I just feel silly now :tongue: I <3 XKCD
Got the comic on a mug too :biggrin: wraps nicely round it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest