The Student Room Group

Year In Industry

I am looking to apply for aerospace engineering (starting sept 2013) and was just wondering how important anyone who is already doing an aero degree, (or similar) thinks a year in industry is.
To give a bit of context I'm planning to apply to Bath, Bristol and Sheffield (among others). I liked Bristol's course/uni the most, apart from the fact they don't do a year in industry, do their local industry links make up for this?
Thanks
Reply 1
One thing I noticed is that some universities will list the degree as "BEng Aerospace Engineering with Year in Industry" and others will just be called "BEng Aerospace Engineering", but when you check the course length, it will say that it is a sandwich degree (SW), which implies the year in industry as well. So, it might be a 3 year degree, or a 4 year sandwich degree.

It's worth checking.

In terms of importance? It's right up there on the list of things to do. My university reckons a placement year will, on average, increase your degree grade by a full level. So if you were on a 2:2, the extra experience could help you to achieve a 2:1 in your final year (although, you may need to be on track for a 2:1 to get the industrial year anyway). But it would certainly help.

Furthermore, it will give you some actual workplace experience, so finding a job will be easier. Quite often, the company will offer you a job after you finish your studies, and some employers will sponsor you through the last years of university if you sign up with them. So that could mean another £1500 or so for your university years after the placement. What I've heard from some people is that the company will give you a project, and that will become your final piece for your degree... Then after you've finished it, you go back to the company to work and give them the solution to the problem. In effect, cheap labour, but it works for everyone.

Just double check with the universities. Thoroughly check the course description and even email them all just to ask about the industrial year. See if it's available, or see if there's a route which could make it work for you. Don't worry about asking them loads of questions... It's about helping you to make the right choice. It's fine if you don't do the placement year, but it's heavily recommended.
(edited 11 years ago)
a summer placement can be just as good as a year in industry
Reply 3
I currently study Aerospace Engineering at The University of Sheffield. A year in industry is definitely not a bad thing, but I'm planning on bolstering my industrial experience with summer internships instead. I think that as long as you can prove that you have had some decent form of experience in the engineering workplace, you'll be in a strong position when it comes to employability.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending