The Student Room Group

Dropping Out Of University.

I'm currently in my first year at the University of Lincoln studying Criminology and I absolutely hate it. I hate my course and being away from home etc etc.
I'm wanting to leave Lincoln and then reapply to go to a university closer to home doing a different course next year (starting sept 2013).
I've started asking my uni about leaving and I've learnt I can leave my course any time I want but because I am in student accommodation, I might have to stay?? Is there any way I can get out of it? I literally cannot stay at uni, the stress is making me ill and I'm crying daily.
Also, if I am allowed to leave, how do I apply to go again next year? Would it be the same as my application for Lincoln, eg via UCAS and would I have to do my finance again?
I'm so confused and would love absolutely any advice!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by georgiacwood
I'm currently in my first year at the University of Lincoln studying Criminology and I absolutely hate it. I hate my course and being away from home etc etc.
I'm wanting to leave Lincoln and then reapply to go to a university closer to home doing a different course next year (starting sept 2013).
I've started asking my uni about leaving and I've learnt I can leave my course any time I want but because I am in student accommodation, I might have to stay?? Is there any way I can get out of it? I literally cannot stay at uni, the stress is making me ill and I'm crying daily.
Also, if I am allowed to leave, how do I apply to go again next year? Would it be the same as my application for Lincoln, eg via UCAS and would I have to do my finance again?
I'm so confused and would love absolutely any advice!

You don't have to stay, you might have to pay for the accommodation until the end of the year though. Yes you would have to go through UCAS again.
Reply 2
Thank you! I emailed the accommodation people but they were so scary and unhelpful. :frown: thank you for your help though!

Reply 3
I'm in exactly the same position and so lost about what to do. I got to uni the first two weeks were ok, but then I gradually began to realise that I no longer liked my course as we have to do three subjects in the first year and I just wanted to study history it's also too far from home. I hope i can get some of the money from the accommodation back as my parents paid and have already paid £1,200!
accommodation will always start with the letter of the law - they want to make sure you're not just wanting to move out to live with friends or having a patch of homesickness that will pass.

If they continue to be unhelpful you can usually get out of an accom contract if you can find someone willing to take your room.

If your course tutor hasn't been helpful about how to sort things out then try your careers service or head of year or even just any lecturer you've met who seems friendly. Also approach the student union - their main job is not to provide a bar but to help students to navigate the regulations of the university.
Reply 5
My uni said there was no one waiting for the rooms so im not sure whats going to happen. I'm there max of like 3 days a week at the minute so im going to see the accommodation people Monday and explain how im feeling (& maybe cry a bit if it helps!) and hopefully i can come home and not be made to pay silly amounts of money straight up that i defo dont have! Annaward, hope you get yours sorted! I know exactly how you're feeling, especially if your uni's as unhelpful as mine!

Reply 6
Hi Georgia, I'd recommend you speak to Student Services in the first instance to see if they can help you. They are based on the ground floor of the Main Admin Building near the lift. I would also speak to your personal tutor too about any concerns you might have about your course. Hope you feel better soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending