The Student Room Group

Dating my friends ex (it ended badly)

Might be a little bit of a long story but here goes. I'm a lad, 20 and am at University doing my Nursing. I'm gay, not really had a lot of luck with guys, most of them looking for just sex and that sucks after a while.

Anyway, i was very good friends with a girl during school and sixth form. She dated this guy for two years whilst we were in sixth form. She introduced me to him and me and this guy got on very well indeed. Well at the start of me going to Uni, they split up. I obviously heard two sides to the story. She said he was cheating on her but this was clearly not right in the end. Now he started to come out with me and my friends a bit more, and she kinda disappeared from my life. She's the kind of girl who is all her. She doesn't really ask you what's going on in your life and in the past 18 months i have only seen her twice. Think she noticed I was getting more pally with him as she kept texting me asking why i was talking to him ( think she saw it on twitter). Well anyway, about 2 months ago, i noticed a difference in him, he seemed grumpy all the time and that really isn't him. I talked to him and he told me he thought he was gay. He told me that's the reason they split up and was just trying to sort his feelings out. Later on, he then admitted he liked me. And i've fancied him from day one in all honesty and here 2 months later, we are together. And as happy as can be.

Just one issue, my friend. She text me again last week asking me why i was always with him ( must have seen from facebook ) and am just afraid of telling her. I just think its a bit rich of her to be telling me who i can and cannot talk to when she hasn't bothered with me as a supposed best friend for 18 months.

Anyone actually think i've done wrong because I do feel a bit weird about it but the plusses outweight the minuses.
No, theres been nothing wrong with your conduct! This girl isn't your friend enough to have any sense of duty towards her. Its basically that you like a guy and youve also met his ex. An ex whose permission you dont need to date him.Obviously, if your bf is still in the closet in general then you can obviously just say you are friends. But if not, you have nothing to be ashamed or sorry for. He likes you, you like him, she is the ex who you barely know. She doesnt have the right to be spanish inquisitioning you like this!
its such a unique situation and i dont think anyone is in the wrong here to be honest. at the end of the day all you can really do is tell her the truth and hope that one day she accepts it. it may be hard, especially seeing as she went out with him for so long but regardless of how she takes it you need to tell her.

good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by The Fruitbat
No, theres been nothing wrong with your conduct! This girl isn't your friend enough to have any sense of duty towards her. Its basically that you like a guy and youve also met his ex. An ex whose permission you dont need to date him.Obviously, if your bf is still in the closet in general then you can obviously just say you are friends. But if not, you have nothing to be ashamed or sorry for. He likes you, you like him, she is the ex who you barely know. She doesnt have the right to be spanish inquisitioning you like this!

He is 'out'. But she wouldn't know as they haven't got any mutual friends (except me) or anything like that.
Original post by simonlines
Might be a little bit of a long story but here goes. I'm a lad, 20 and am at University doing my Nursing. I'm gay, not really had a lot of luck with guys, most of them looking for just sex and that sucks after a while.

Anyway, i was very good friends with a girl during school and sixth form. She dated this guy for two years whilst we were in sixth form. She introduced me to him and me and this guy got on very well indeed. Well at the start of me going to Uni, they split up. I obviously heard two sides to the story. She said he was cheating on her but this was clearly not right in the end. Now he started to come out with me and my friends a bit more, and she kinda disappeared from my life. She's the kind of girl who is all her. She doesn't really ask you what's going on in your life and in the past 18 months i have only seen her twice. Think she noticed I was getting more pally with him as she kept texting me asking why i was talking to him ( think she saw it on twitter). Well anyway, about 2 months ago, i noticed a difference in him, he seemed grumpy all the time and that really isn't him. I talked to him and he told me he thought he was gay. He told me that's the reason they split up and was just trying to sort his feelings out. Later on, he then admitted he liked me. And i've fancied him from day one in all honesty and here 2 months later, we are together. And as happy as can be.

Just one issue, my friend. She text me again last week asking me why i was always with him ( must have seen from facebook ) and am just afraid of telling her. I just think its a bit rich of her to be telling me who i can and cannot talk to when she hasn't bothered with me as a supposed best friend for 18 months.

Anyone actually think i've done wrong because I do feel a bit weird about it but the plusses outweight the minuses.

As two consenting adults, you are free to do as you choose.

Your friend may see it as a betrayal of some kind, but then if she hasn't been around that much in the past 18 months, why should that bother you?

If I'm honest, I would say she will take umbrage with it, and fall out with you. She will take the moral high ground, as there is a social stigma that "ex's are no-gos!".

I wouldn't have a problem with a friend dating my ex, I would just laugh as I know what they are in for, I might offer advice if they were receptive but ultimately let them make their own mistakes and learn the lessons from that.
He is 'out'. But she wouldn't know as they haven't got any mutual friends (except me) or anything like that.

Well, shes going to find out at some point. You should do it gently but you dont need or deserve to gag yourself over this and let her interrogate you! What is your bfs opinion?
Reply 6
Well, shes going to find out at some point. You should do it gently but you dont need or deserve to gag yourself over this and let her interrogate you! What is your bfs opinion?

Well he's generally laid back and reserved anyway but thinks we should tell her but think he's a bit worried what she'd do next, like in regards to twisting things and gossiping about stuff that isn't correct. Cos that's what she's like. We will tell her, just a matter of time i guess. Im surprised she hasn't found out through a 3rd party already in all honesty.
Well he's generally laid back and reserved anyway but thinks we should tell her but think he's a bit worried what she'd do next, like in regards to twisting things and gossiping about stuff that isn't correct. Cos that's what she's like. We will tell her, just a matter of time i guess. Im surprised she hasn't found out through a 3rd party already in all honesty.

Meh, its going to happen anyway, but it might as well be heard from you. If she's going to be a crab, she's going to be a crab (Yeah, I'm experimenting with different insults... :banana:) but it means that you would have control over what info she gets.

Eg. If she hears that you are together from someone else who hasnt clarified/doesnt know, she may assume that you hooked up before your bf and her broke up, which would be hurtful. Tell it to her straight and at least you'll know what she knows. STRATEGY, WATSON.
Reply 8
I do agree it would be better coming from me. Thanks guys. I just wanted to know if anyone thought I was in the wrong at all.

Good to know because i'm going through a bit of trouble with the family too at the moment but that's secondary really.
Later on, he then admitted he liked me. And i've fancied him from day one in all honesty and here 2 months later, we are together. And as happy as can be.

Yay :h:

You shouldn't feel ashamed about it, tell her. He was gay anyway, so it's not like you're snatching away something she was going to have.

Anyone actually think i've done wrong because I do feel a bit weird about it but the plusses outweight the minuses

Good lad; stick with it. I generally don't agree with bros before hos, but she's not even a bro.

If she's going to be a crab, she's going to be a crab (Yeah, I'm experimenting with different insults... :banana:) but it means that you would have control over what info she gets.

Cool insult :cute:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by MostUncivilised
Yay :h:

You shouldn't feel ashamed about it, tell her. He was gay anyway, so it's not like you're snatching away something she was going to have.

Good lad; stick with it. I generally don't agree with bros before hos, but she's not even a bro.

Cool insult :cute:

Thanks man. Made me feel better about it all. Not something i want to do over text. I want to do it face to face. However, that's easier said than done with this girl.
Thanks man. Made me feel better about it all. Not something i want to do over text. I want to do it face to face. However, that's easier said than done with this girl.

The thing is, if you build it up to something that must be done face to face, it kind of legitimises her (presumable) outrage. You've done nothing wrong, and you have nothing to be ashamed of.

It's perfectly acceptable to mention it in passing; if she asks why you didn't tell her, you can say that you guys were a bit tentative, you didn't want to be premature in announcing it, wanted to take it slow, and so on. Best of luck with it though, sound like a sensible guy, I'm sure you'll navigate your way through it.
Reply 12
Original post by MostUncivilised
The thing is, if you build it up to something that must be done face to face, it kind of legitimises her (presumable) outrage. You've done nothing wrong, and you have nothing to be ashamed of.

It's perfectly acceptable to mention it in passing; if she asks why you didn't tell her, you can say that you guys were a bit tentative, you didn't want to be premature in announcing it, wanted to take it slow, and so on. Best of luck with it though, sound like a sensible guy, I'm sure you'll navigate your way through it.

Yeah you have a point. I'll drop it in conversation somewhere along the line. Thank you! :smile:
It's none of her business. Asides he may not even be gay, he could be bi.
She must have known.
Reply 16
That's what i thought, but you wouldn't go along with it if you knew.

He's not Bi, definetly not. He never looks or speaks about girls in any way shape or form these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending