The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth Applicants - Student Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi im sharon... I did compute science foundation year last year and i didn't do very well because i was ill for like the 1st whole semester and now i havn't passed enough modules to retake, instead i have the option to retake the whole 120 credit at an internal student or a part time internal student who takes the modules oi only failed or an external student who takes the assessment which i failed
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by J0ana
Hi guys, going to stay in Trefloyne, but do u have any photos other than the ones from the site. I am quite intertested in seeing more trefloyne rooms and tours since there arent much on the net :smile:

I stayed in trefloyne so I can PM you some pics if you'd like?
Hi,
I've chosen Aber as my only UCAS choice and have recently heard I'll have a studio in Fferm penglais. I'll be studying history and English literature.
However I'm a little worried about being the only mature student about/in classes. I'm 34 and to be honest although I'm excited about the course, I'm worried about things like freshers week and making friends as I'll be on my own. Are there many mature students at Aber? And are they generally accepted in societies? As the literature & creative writing society looks fun.
Hi,

I started when I was 33. And I'll be brutally honest and no rose tinted glasses, there are very few mature students that I noticed in any department.

It's an odd place as a mature student, a little claustrophobic even, and definitely one which if you're not 100% sure could lead to a drop-out situation or you might end up needing to pour it all out to the counselor.

I wouldn't worry about the younger students, they won't take any notice of you...except when you ask a genuine question you might get a few smart arsed giggles, this is usually sorted by a swift 'shut the @@@@ up' glance or whisper to them. And yes those of you Aber students reading this who are NOT mature students, this happens.

On the whole I didn't really enjoy Aber, its quite insular as a town, and this rubs off on the uni (which is also quite insular). If you can, try and find somewhere else in Clearing or Extra. I wish I had written to the other unis to plead my case.

I joined a society but eventually yes the age gap did take effect. I did take up a similar hobby with a group in the town, it's quite an outdoorsy place if you don't mind the bad weather but also VERY far away from anything, and there isn't any high street like in the cities. Nearest shopping with more than Tesco and M&S is Carmarthen (2.5hrs)

If there is any way you can apply to another uni as a back up, then I'd advise you to do so. It can get on top of you, despite have the studio in the Fferm. They're lovely, but a trek away from the town.
Everyone is different and what doesn't suit one could be ideal for another I acknowledge that. You'll also probably get a few posts from the die-hard Aberystwyth fans who can't really be objective about this.

Feel free to PM for more detaisl if you'd like
Original post by MyDearWatson
Hi,
I've chosen Aber as my only UCAS choice and have recently heard I'll have a studio in Fferm penglais. I'll be studying history and English literature.
However I'm a little worried about being the only mature student about/in classes. I'm 34 and to be honest although I'm excited about the course, I'm worried about things like freshers week and making friends as I'll be on my own. Are there many mature students at Aber? And are they generally accepted in societies? As the literature & creative writing society looks fun.

Hi MyDearWatson,

That’s great news, and we’re looking forward to meeting you.

In the History department, there are currently over 70 mature students, with over 90 more in the English department.

Mature students are welcome and accepted into all clubs and societies, and they form a vital part of our vibrant student community.

If you have any further questions, feel free to send us a message.

The Undergraduate Admissions Team.
Reply 325
Speaking of mature students, I'll be starting at age 21, and I have no idea if that qualifies as "mature". I do know that even when I was younger I never particularly enjoyed people around my age at 18-19, and I have never seen the fun side of getting drunk. Is it likely that I'd find it difficult to settle in with the student population?

EDIT: I'll be studying International Politics and Military History, if that's relevant to the question.
Ridiculous question: has anyone ever managed to live in a caravan/camper van yet still be nearby the university for studying? Just a cheapskate undergraduate full of silly ideas.

Would buying a parking permit be enough? Or would I not be allowed to stay overnight in aber uni car parks?

9 days 'till the accommodation deadline so I need to make up my mind...

Thanks, Kit.
Original post by Selym
Speaking of mature students, I'll be starting at age 21, and I have no idea if that qualifies as "mature". I do know that even when I was younger I never particularly enjoyed people around my age at 18-19, and I have never seen the fun side of getting drunk. Is it likely that I'd find it difficult to settle in with the student population?

EDIT: I'll be studying International Politics and Military History, if that's relevant to the question.

Hey! I've just graduated, and I can tell you from my three years in aber, you won't have a problem!

Drinking is only one part, and there's lots of societies you can choose to attend, and only on certain weeks if the drinking isn't your thing. There's so many different types of people, with different interests, like sport, gaming, debating..

I went for a drink once a week, but let me tell you, you'll still fit right in if you don't drink. Lots of my days were spent with my housemates just watching tv, going to the cinema, chilling on the beach, that sort of thing.

No one is going to judge you if you don't want to get constantly smashed, and if they did, they are not your types of friends anyway!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Selym

I'm 20 and don't drink, and I've seen a few others who don't drink, so you're not alone on that at least.
Hello ^^/
I am planning on taking Computer Science with Foundation Year (I'm doing BTEC Computer Game Design Level 3, currently and I don't want to have a noticeable gap between myself and those who took Computing at A Level) in September 2018.

I am a sailor myself and I am wondering what the Sailing Club at the University is like, do they do club races or are they just a casual club?
Also can you join multiple societies? As there are a few that take my interest.

Thank you for your help :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Does anyone know if there are Microwaves in the Fferm penglais studios?
It isn't listed and I forgot to ask when I had my tour there!
I know there are microwaves in the shared fferm blocks but just need to
know if there are microwaves in the studios, please :smile:
Original post by MyDearWatson
Does anyone know if there are Microwaves in the Fferm penglais studios?
It isn't listed and I forgot to ask when I had my tour there!
I know there are microwaves in the shared fferm blocks but just need to
know if there are microwaves in the studios, please :smile:

I actually don't think there are. There's just a combi oven.

https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/accommodation/types-accommodation/self-catered/fferm-penglais-studio/#what-s-in-your-studio-
Hey, I am moving in soon and have a couple questions about the accomodation i will be staying in (Cwrt Mawr Band 1).

I read back on this thread a little and it's mentioned that the same key is used for your room and the flat itself.
Does this mean my flatmates can open my room door?
Does the room door automatically lock when closed?

I have anxiety and I'm not used to living with other people.
If I'm not happy in my accommodation after living there for a bit, can i request to change to a different one? e.g. fferm penglais
Can i request to be housed with a smaller amount of flatmates?

In our contract it says we can't bring furniture with us.
Can i bring my own office chair to replace the one in the room since i am taking a computing degree and have back aches after sitting for too long?

I'm going to assume flat/room inspections happen at aber from time to time.
How often are they?
Will we get prior notice?
What will be looked at in my room?

Wow this was a lot of questions and i still have more haha. If anyone answers any of these thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Elizabethh9
Hey, I am moving in soon and have a couple questions about the accomodation i will be staying in (Cwrt Mawr Band 1).

I read back on this thread a little and it's mentioned that the same key is used for your room and the flat itself.
Does this mean my flatmates can open my room door?
Does the room door automatically lock when closed?

I have anxiety and I'm not used to living with other people.
If I'm not happy in my accommodation after living there for a bit, can i request to change to a different one? e.g. fferm penglais
Can i request to be housed with a smaller amount of flatmates?

In our contract it says we can't bring furniture with us.
Can i bring my own office chair to replace the one in the room since i am taking a computing degree and have back aches after sitting for too long?

I'm going to assume flat/room inspections happen at aber from time to time.
How often are they?
Will we get prior notice?
What will be looked at in my room?

Wow this was a lot of questions and i still have more haha. If anyone answers any of these thanks in advance :smile:

Hey, not living there at the moment (I'm moving in in September as well, although to Rosser, but -

- I imagine your flatmates can't enter your room with there keys, only you can.
-Having visited Rosser last month, I know that the door there does not automatically lock. You've gotta lock it yourself. Can't speak for Cwrt Mawr though.
- Yes, you can. Speak with the accomadation office if you want to move at any point.
- Don't know about smaller amount of housemates, guess you could ask to move to a flat/house with less rooms per kitchen though?
- Looking at the contract, it says at least termly. Don't know about whether you get notice or whether it's spot checks. My guess is they're checking for damage to the furniture/room, contraband that you've taken into the room
- As for the chair issue, again from the contract -

"All furniture provided in AU accommodation complies fully with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations. Residents can bring additional furniture (except inflatable furniture) into Residences provided an Additional Items form is completed, available from the Accommodation Office. Furniture introduced without permission will be removed at the individual Resident’s expense"

You're fine if you fill out a form.
Thanks for your replies, I appreciate that :smile:

GL for your first year as well.
Hi! I'm an international student looking to apply to Aber and I was wondering how receptive the university is to accepting non-Cambridge A level subjects (such as Knowledge and Inquiry) as part of any offer given. Thanks!
Hey guys! I'm applying to study Film production and Film-making in 2018 and was wondering, weather anyone could tell me something about the course. Or maybe compare it to other Unis? Thanks in advance!
Original post by autumn2018
Hi! I'm an international student looking to apply to Aber and I was wondering how receptive the university is to accepting non-Cambridge A level subjects (such as Knowledge and Inquiry) as part of any offer given. Thanks!

Hi there!

Very pleased to hear that you are thinking of applying to study with us in Aber! Which one of our courses sparks your interest?

Are you a student looking to apply form within the EU or non-EU?

Looking forward to hear back from you! :smile:
Lleucu :rose:
Original post by Ina Dungyova
Hey guys! I'm applying to study Film production and Film-making in 2018 and was wondering, weather anyone could tell me something about the course. Or maybe compare it to other Unis? Thanks in advance!

Hi there Ina! Brilliant to hear that you are applying for our Film Production and Film-making course!

I'm sure you've had a look on our website for the Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies - www.aber.ac.uk/tfts - there we house all the information you need about the department, and the Film Production and Film-making course.

Although, if you want to hear about the department directly from our students, have a look at this video made by three of our third year students:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_qNzL6pBE

Check out this video as well, that gives you an insight to our BA Film Making course by one of the course lecturers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9KXun_ve8A

Are you planning on visiting us on one of our Open Days, or already visited? :smile:

Lleucu
Hey all! I'll hopefully be doing InterPol and MilHistory for 2018, however, I have some questions!

1) As an Englishman, will I be constantly making all welsh speakers cringe for three years? XD

2) I really, really don't understand how student accommodation and halls work. I need explained like talking to a small child - some times the penny just doesn't drop when first explained!

3) In terms of the previous question where I will be placed to stay? is it entirely random or can there be requested areas if possible? (Personally I don't want to trek up the hill every morning from the seafront.)

4) Finally, I like music and singing/performing. (Musicals, Gilbert and Sullivan and Jazz solos for example) what kinda stuff does Aber have that involves that?

Sorry for so many questions, but better out than in right? ^^

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest