The Student Room Group

One of the 16 smartest people on earth went to London Metropolitan University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
They just a bunch of nerds who are good at pointless puzzles. The real dons out there are the guys who ran with an idea and made billions like Bill Gates or Sir Richard Branson or those guys who ran with an idea and changed the world like Isaac Newton or Albert Einstien.
Original post by 2ndClass
"He is a youth support worker at Hertfordshire County Council"

Case in point

wittgeinstein went to teach at a high school ?

so your point is moot

and the smartest guy in america was a bouncer
Reply 22
Original post by Dandyflower
He thinks the Holocaust didn't happen. Clever people say clever things, stupid people say stupid things.

School results are most strongly correlated to how rich and pushy your parents are.

Laurie Penny. Sally Bercow. Jacqui Smith. :eek:

To be fair when you look at him from a psychological perspective, he has probably achieved exactly what he wanted.

Had he stuck with the crowd and done more mainstream politics, he'd probably just be a no name backbench MP or bogged down in the middle ranks of the civil service.
Original post by Manitude
As above, at least some only have scores that high because they do a lot of IQ tests. I've done three in my life and each time my score has increased, so I'm currently sitting on 148, which supposedly would put me in the "genius" category. Let me tell you now - I am no genius!!! Rather, I'm just quite good at doing IQ tests, as IQ tests can only measure your ability to do IQ tests.

This is said a lot, and whilst it's got an element of truth to it it's a bit of a platitude. Of course IQ tests show how good you are at IQ tests, and yes scores are amenable to influence by factors other than cognitive skills, but to say that they're not indicative of anything seems to be stretching it a bit. If you'd said that the skills they assess are too abstract to be worth placing much emphasis on then I probably would have agreed with that, though.
THE UKCAT IS A APTITUDE TEST(AN IQ TEST)

please stop spreading the false absurd notion that iq tests are useless

your posts are useless!!!
Reply 25
Yes.. and one of the 44 US presidents is black.
Reply 26
Original post by Dukeofwembley
wittgeinstein went to teach at a high school ?

so your point is moot

and the smartest guy in america was a bouncer

That just means there's a lot of smart dumbasses.
Original post by 2ndClass
That just means there's a lot of smart dumbasses.

no, the bouncer was so smart that he felt his professor was just too thick

and wittgeinstein thought philosophy was toss

and i know plenty of smart guys in the army, albiet as officer but still
Reply 28
Original post by TurboCretin
This is said a lot, and whilst it's got an element of truth to it it's a bit of a platitude. Of course IQ tests show how good you are at IQ tests, and yes scores are amenable to influence by factors other than cognitive skills, but to say that they're not indicative of anything seems to be stretching it a bit. If you'd said that the skills they assess are too abstract to be worth placing much emphasis on then I probably would have agreed with that, though.

While I agree that there is clearly a tendency for intelligent people to be good at IQ tests, I was trying to say that as a standardised measure of intelligence it is not useful/reliable, as doing more IQ tests increases your score, but not necessarily your intelligence.

It's like how a person who plays a few games of pool will be slightly better at the end of their session than at the start because they've gotten into it a bit and realised what works and what doesn't. But being able to make pots with a greater success rate does not mean that person is really good at sport in general. To make this relevant to IQ tests: you can do practice IQ tests and get higher scores, but that only shows you're better at IQ tests than you were before.
Reply 29
somewhere, imsoacademic's head is exploding.

that's complete bull****, define intelligence before you can fully measure a persons potential.
lol
Reply 32
Hey where's Einstein? or at least someone I recognise :unimpressed:
Original post by Eager bug

these are most likely people alive today, plus there wouldn't be any evidence whether he be alive or not that he was one of the smartest people in the world.
number 12 on the list seems like a bit of a dick.
Reply 35

im sure einstein is dead
Reply 36
Original post by theconsciousindian
these are most likely people alive today, plus there wouldn't be any evidence whether he be alive or not that he was one of the smartest people in the world.

Well then what about Stephen Hawking?
Well then what about Stephen Hawking?

haha what about him? he is evidently an intelligent physicist; creating a remarkable theory using tremendously large quantities of data to fit together a rather complex puzzle; however that does not make him one of the smartest people alive :s as I've said in my previous post first one would have to define a meaning of intelligence, only then would you be able to measure it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Manitude
As above, at least some only have scores that high because they do a lot of IQ tests. I've done three in my life and each time my score has increased, so I'm currently sitting on 148, which supposedly would put me in the "genius" category. Let me tell you now - I am no genius!!! Rather, I'm just quite good at doing IQ tests, as IQ tests can only measure your ability to do IQ tests.

Where did you do an IQ test? I have always been interested in doing one but have no idea where to do one, if you get my drift :tongue:
Reply 39
Original post by tehFrance
Where did you do an IQ test? I have always been interested in doing one but have no idea where to do one, if you get my drift :tongue:

http://www.iqtest.com/

Because it's online, not MENSA, and a business it's not the best one out there, but probably the best compromise between accuracy and ease of access. They inflate your score to make you more likely to buy the 'more detailed analysis'.
But the fact that mine has gone up 10 points each time I've done it (using a different email address each time) is not to be ignored.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending