The Student Room Group

Muslims gamers get Call of Duty map removed from game!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
They removed the whole map? Couldn't they just change the words?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:emo:

? :confused:
"The map was then removed from all public playlists on the 6th October 2012 and was put back into rotation on the 23rd October after the frame borders were replaced."

It wasn't even graffiti on a bathroom mirror, it was framing around a picture in the bathroom. I'm not being funny, but for someone to notice something like that, you kinda have to be looking for it.

http://www.gamedynamo.com/article/showarticle/4491/en/favela_map_for_cod_mw2_and_mw3_temporarily_taken_down_due_to_potentially_offensive_content_to_muslim_gamers
Original post by Drunk Punx
I wouldn't say "without need" if you genuinely thought that COD is basic firearm training :wink:

Besides, the insult itself wasn't the point; it merely served as a heading for the "x doesn't teach you y" part of the post.

lol CoD is firearms training like tekken 4 is martial arts class .
The lesson to be learnt from all of this is some people are too simple to realise computer games are just computer games
FAVELA is map in BRAZIL. Now tell me what assocaition does a a favela in Brazil have with Islam? Zilch. There was no logical reason for that to be in there, and yes it should have been removed. End off. Let's move on.
Original post by internetguru
LOL so illogical.

It is highly offensive since your excreting your waste etc its a dirty place.
Original post by Drunk Punx
I wouldn't say "without need" if you genuinely thought that COD is basic firearm training :wink:

Besides, the insult itself wasn't the point; it merely served as a heading for the "x doesn't teach you y" part of the post.

I did apologise for the phrasing of my point, I wasn't prepared for the strawman brigade when I made it. My point was, essentially, that we are dealing with a game that is designed to inspire interest in munitions, and the fact that they felt religious sentiment on this point felt fairly odd.

Lets move back on topic, and honestly there's never a need to insult, it detracts from any argument. :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by High VOLTAGE
FAVELA is map in BRAZIL. Now tell me what assocaition does a a favela in Brazil have with Islam? Zilch. There was no logical reason for that to be in there, and yes it should have been removed. End off. Let's move on.

so muslims should not be allowed in brazil now?
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food

That's a bit of a jump. The poster makes a good point, I think you have to remember that game design isn't a quick rehashing of materials, days will have been spent building up each texture. To put an islamic mirror in a map in brazil does, now that someone mentions it, seem a bit odd.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
That's a bit of a jump. The poster makes a good point, I think you have to remember that game design isn't a quick rehashing of materials, days will have been spent building up each texture. To put an islamic mirror in a map in brazil does, now that someone mentions it, seem a bit odd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Brazil#Today

According to the Braziliancensus of 2000[1] there were 27,239 Muslims living in the country, primarily concentrated in the states of São Paulo and Paraná. There are significant Muslim communities in the industrial suburbs of the city of São Paulo and in the port city of Santos, as well as in smaller communities in Paraná State in the coastal region and in Curitiba and Foz do Iguazu in the Argentina-Brazil-Paraguay triborder area. The community is overwhelmingly Sunni; the Sunnis are almost completely assimilated into broader society. The recent Shi'iteimmigrants gravitate to small insular communities in São Paulo, Curitiba, and Foz do Iguazu. There are approximately 60 mosques, Islamic religious centers, and Islamic associations,[11]however the history of the Ahmadiyya community only began in the late 20th century, when the community was established in Brazil in 1986.[12]

A recent trend has been the increase in
conversions to Islam among non-Arab citizens.[11] A recent Muslim source estimated that there are close to 10,000 Muslim converts living in Brazil.[9]During the past 30 years, Islam has become increasingly noticeable in Brazilian society by building not only mosques, but also libraries, arts centres, and schools and also by fundingnewspapers.[13] The growth of Islam within Brazil is demonstrated in the fact that 2 of the 3 existing Portuguese translations of the Qur'an were created by Muslim translators in São Paulo.[9]
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah

not really, no reason to think there wouldnt be at least one muslim and his bath room in the whole of brazil. its not the wierdest thing ever seen on a FPS map. And not that important either

seems that people are A. taking games too seriously and B are too touchy/sensitive in general. MTFU
And Favela was my favourite map too ;'(
Reply 52
I get offended when people are so easily offended. :|
probably because they don't want to alienate muslim gamers for future games, so fixing this keeps them on side, but fixing the game's other problems isn't gonna affect how many people buy the next game. Also I imagine this was the easiest problem to fix.
why do muslims get offended by every little thing?

In fact why does everyone get offended these days. You can't say anything without someone being offended.

Somebody will be offended by my post!
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food

All i'm saying is that Brazil + Islam + Favella is not something that relates too well. And to have a frame in a bathroom with the name of Allah is the most random thing ever.
Reply 56
I don't really see an issue here. Someone exercised their freedom of speech to criticise the use of another person's freedom of speech and therefore the company used its freedom of speech to remove its earlier act of freedom of speech. Isn't that what freedom of speech is all about?
So are these complainers implying that Allah is not beautiful and doesn't love beauty? I guess that would explain a lot...

In all seriousness though, when are people going to stop this recent fad of pandering to the over sensitive, cry-babies of society? Activism should have just said, "**** you, get over it".
Islam.

:facepalm2:
Reply 59
Remember....no Arabic :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending