The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Changing Course? Please help!

Hi,

I started UCLAN in September, and I'm really, really not enjoying my course.

Is there any possibility getting transferred to a different course, or will I have to drop out and re-apply next year? (really don't want to do that) :frown:

I have already chosen a course to transfer to (it was my back up in my application) but it is completely different to my current course. I have all the qualifications needed for the new course too (It actually requires less than my current course did.)

I've stuck it out for two months, and considered just pressing on and doing it, but I'm seriously unhappy with the course, it's completely different to what I was hoping. (It's getting to the point where I just don't want to go to lectures), but I'm paying so much in fee's, I want to be able to enjoy and be enthusiastic about what I'm learning.

I'm so disappointed as I'm LOVING Uni life itself and have met lots of new people, but I'm here to study, and am just so disappointed with my current course. :frown:

Any advise will be truly appreciated thank you.
Reply 1
Hello DJB1!
I am a first year student here at UCLan, and I had the same problem than you over a month ago. I didn't really like my course so I just talked to my course leader and he told me what I had to do. Just a week ago a friend of mine did the exact same thing, so you shouldn't have any problems... just be quick! the more time you stay in your current course, the less chances to change since you would be in clear disadvantage in the new course.

I would recommend you to talk to your course leader tomorrow Monday and get it sorted as soon as possible.

Good luck :wink:

EDIT

lol, are you currently an Asia Pacific Studies student or is APS the course you want to change? because I am doing Asia Pacific Studies!
(edited 11 years ago)
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Ahotaru
Hello DJB1!
I am a first year student here at UCLan, and I had the same problem than you over a month ago. I didn't really like my course so I just talked to my course leader and he told me what I had to do. Just a week ago a friend of mine did the exact same thing, so you shouldn't have any problems... just be quick! the more time you stay in your current course, the less chances to change since you would be in clear disadvantage in the new course.

I would recommend you to talk to your course leader tomorrow Monday and get it sorted as soon as possible.

Good luck :wink:

EDIT

lol, are you currently an Asia Pacific Studies student or is APS the course you want to change? because I am doing Asia Pacific Studies!

Thanks for that, gave me some hope!

And yes I am on APS and want to change! (Really badly) Really wasn't what I was expecting. Have you just changed to APS or changing from APS?
Reply 3
Original post by DJB1
Thanks for that, gave me some hope!

And yes I am on APS and want to change! (Really badly) Really wasn't what I was expecting. Have you just changed to APS or changing from APS?

It's the end of October, so I believe is not too late :smile:

I changed over a month ago! I already did my presentation... my friend and I were the 2nd people doing it, the one that got Dr Chun discussing why women weren't meant to go to University (?) xD

It's bad that you are not enjoying it... I'm actually loving it! and happy I changed.
Reply 4
Original post by Ahotaru
It's the end of October, so I believe is not too late :smile:

I changed over a month ago! I already did my presentation... my friend and I were the 2nd people doing it, the one that got Dr Chun discussing why women weren't meant to go to University (?) xD

It's bad that you are not enjoying it... I'm actually loving it! and happy I changed.

Don't think I was in that lecture, I would have remembered that!

I'm disappointed I'm not enjoying it either, but I'm not paying for something I don't enjoy! I'm trying to transfer to Games Design, just hope they'll take me! :smile:

Have to go to Kwang tomorrow to discuss it, wish me luck haha! And thanks for the help!
Reply 5
Original post by DJB1
Don't think I was in that lecture, I would have remembered that!

I'm disappointed I'm not enjoying it either, but I'm not paying for something I don't enjoy! I'm trying to transfer to Games Design, just hope they'll take me! :smile:

Have to go to Kwang tomorrow to discuss it, wish me luck haha! And thanks for the help!

Hahaha, yeah, students weren't very happy about that, specially girls, but you know... you can't never know when he is joking or actually being serious!!

Anyway you are definetly right! 9,000pounds is crazy, you should spend them in something you really like. I hope they will accept you in Game Design and that Dr Chun won't make it any difficult for you :wink: just make sure you've got all the papers you need from the School Office... he hates that, just saying!
Reply 6
Original post by DJB1
Hi,

I started UCLAN in September, and I'm really, really not enjoying my course.

Is there any possibility getting transferred to a different course, or will I have to drop out and re-apply next year? (really don't want to do that) :frown:

I have already chosen a course to transfer to (it was my back up in my application) but it is completely different to my current course. I have all the qualifications needed for the new course too (It actually requires less than my current course did.)

I've stuck it out for two months, and considered just pressing on and doing it, but I'm seriously unhappy with the course, it's completely different to what I was hoping. (It's getting to the point where I just don't want to go to lectures), but I'm paying so much in fee's, I want to be able to enjoy and be enthusiastic about what I'm learning.

I'm so disappointed as I'm LOVING Uni life itself and have met lots of new people, but I'm here to study, and am just so disappointed with my current course. :frown:

Any advise will be truly appreciated thank you.

Hi There,

This is UCLan, So sorry to hear you're not enjoying your course, have you approached your course leader and personal academic adviserto talk things over? (if you don't know who these people are, your school will tell you) If you prefer not to do this you might like to try the Fresh Start Team in Fylde Building or ring them internally on extension 5016, but do speak to someone either a tutor or in your school office, and I'm sure they will be pleased to help you.

Kind regards
UCLan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending