The Student Room Group

Biology F214 Revision Thread 2013 JAN 11th

Scroll to see replies

I was wondering if someone could help me out on the ascending and descending limbs of the loop of henle? I just dont get exactly how it works (movement of water out of the descending limb and active transport of sodium ions out ascending limb into the medulla) I'd be really grateful if someone cleared it up for me ! :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by AngryScienceNerd
that's a lot of differences but let me give it a go !

-Sensory neurones have processes called dendrons
-Motor neurones have a single long axon
-Motor neurones have many short processes called dendrites from its cell body*
-Motor neurones carry impulses to effectors such as muscles and glands
-Sensory neurones carry impulses to the CNS

Let me give you one back :smile: what is saltatory conduction?

It is the jumping of action potential from one node of ranvier to the next.

Comon more of a difficult question!!! :wink:

Outline the process of an action potential.
Reply 62
I was wondering if someone could help me out on the ascending and descending limbs of the loop of henle? I just dont get exactly how it works (movement of water out of the descending limb and active transport of sodium ions out ascending limb into the medulla) I'd be really grateful if someone cleared it up for me ! :smile:

In the ascending limb sodium ions and CL- ions are actively pumped out into the medulla. Ascending limb is impermeable to water , water stays inside the tubule. This creates low water potential in the medulla because there's a high concentration of ions.
Water moves out of descending limb into the medulla by osmosis. The water in the medulla is reabsorbed into the blood through the capillary network. The bottom of the ascending limb sodium ions and CL- ions diffuse out into the medulla which lowers the water potential even more.Ascending limb is impermeable to water , so it stays in the tubule. Because of low water potential due to the ion concentration in the medulla , water moves out of the collecting duct by osmosis. Water is then reabsorbed into the blood through the capillary network.
Reply 63

This gives a nice visual representation of the loop of henule :smile:

http://www.biologymad.com/resources/kidney.swf

Cliffs-
-The descending limb of the loop of henule is permeable to water.
-Therefore water moves out of the loop via diffusion.(Osmosis)
-This is because the loop of henule has a higher water potential than the surrounding tissues (medulla).
-
-Now the concentration of sodium is higher than the surrounding tissue. ( So some diffuses out)
-
-The acsending limb is imperamable to water.
-However Sodium is actively transported out.
-This produces a low water potential in the medulla.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by DudeBoy
Got my mock tomorrow so every little helps :smile:

Got my mock next Tuesday!:groovy::groovy:
Reply 65
Original post by BioGeek

In anaerobic conditons, pyruvate does not proceed to the link reaction, describe what happens to pyruvate during anaerobic respiration in an animal cell, what is the importance of the reaction?
Reply 66
Original post by DudeBoy
In anaerobic conditons, pyruvate does not proceed to the link reaction, describe what happens to pyruvate during anaerobic respiration in an animal cell, what is the importance of the reaction?
Pyruvate enter the lactate fermentation cycle. This is important because reduced coenzyme NAD becomes oxidised in this reaction and then used again in the glycolysis cycle so a net gain of ATP (2) can be used for energy. The hydrogen acceptor and enzyme pryuvate dehydrogenase oxidises reduced NAD to form NAD.

Reduced NAD (2H)-> NAD
Equation: Pyruvate---------------------------------------------------> Lactate
Pyruvate dehydrogenase

State and explain the process of how alcohol is coverted to a less toxic form.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by BioGeek
Pyruvate enter the lactate fermentation cycle. This is important because reduced coenzyme NAD becomes oxidised in this reaction and then used again in the glycolysis cycle so a net gain of ATP (2) can be used for energy. The hydrogen acceptor and enzyme pryuvate dehydrogenase oxidises reduced NAD to form NAD.

Reduced NAD (2H)-> NAD
Pyruvate dehydrogenase

Nicely put, well done :smile:
Original post by BioGeek

haha ! well done though ! :smile:

My answer:
A stimulus occurs at the receptor (e.g. touch) and sodium ion channels in the plasma membrane open allowing sodium ions to flood into the cell because of the "double gradient" known as the electrochemical gradient. the resting potential is gone after a short amount of time and the inside of the axon is no longer more negative than the outside so the membrane is depolarised. Sodium ion channels then close and the potassium ion channels open to let out potassium ions via diffusion and this removes the positive charge from inside the axon. The charge across the membrane then becomes normal again and the membrane is repolarised. However so many potassium ions leave the axon that the inside of the axon becomes more negative than the resting potential causing the membrane to be hyperpolarised causing potassium ion channels to close. the sodium potassium pump then restores the resting potential (refractory period).

lol sorry about the long answer but here's a harder question :smile:. How does an action potential travel across a synapse ?
Original post by BioGeek
In the ascending limb sodium ions and CL- ions are actively pumped out into the medulla. Ascending limb is impermeable to water , water stays inside the tubule. This creates low water potential in the medulla because there's a high concentration of ions.
Water moves out of descending limb into the medulla by osmosis. The water in the medulla is reabsorbed into the blood through the capillary network. The bottom of the ascending limb sodium ions and CL- ions diffuse out into the medulla which lowers the water potential even more.Ascending limb is impermeable to water , so it stays in the tubule. Because of low water potential due to the ion concentration in the medulla , water moves out of the collecting duct by osmosis. Water is then reabsorbed into the blood through the capillary network.

Thank you makes sense ! really appreciate it ! :biggrin:
Original post by DudeBoy
This gives a nice visual representation of the loop of henule :smile:

http://www.biologymad.com/resources/kidney.swf

Cliffs-
-The descending limb of the loop of henule is permeable to water.
-Therefore water moves out of the loop via diffusion.(Osmosis)
-This is because the loop of henule has a higher water potential than the surrounding tissues (medulla).
-
-Now the concentration of sodium is higher than the surrounding tissue. ( So some diffuses out)
-
-The acsending limb is imperamable to water.
-However Sodium is actively transported out.
-This produces a low water potential in the medulla.

Hope this helps :smile:

thank you ! this was also very helpful I really appreciate it guys ! :biggrin: :colondollar:
Reply 71
Original post by BioGeek

Reduced NAD (2H)-> NAD
Pyruvate dehydrogenase

State and explain the process of how alcohol is coverted to a less toxic form.

Alcohol is absorbed via the duodenum, it flows into the liver via the portal vein (I think). Alcohol is broken down by enzymes to form Acetalhyde + 2H. Acetalhyde is then converted futrher by ALDH into an Acetyl radical +H.

Thats all I can remember of that :frown:
Reply 72
haha ! well done though ! :smile:

My answer:
A stimulus occurs at the receptor (e.g. touch) and sodium ion channels in the plasma membrane open allowing sodium ions to flood into the cell because of the "double gradient" known as the electrochemical gradient. the resting potential is gone after a short amount of time and the inside of the axon is no longer more negative than the outside so the membrane is depolarised. Sodium ion channels then close and the potassium ion channels open to let out potassium ions via diffusion and this removes the positive charge from inside the axon. The charge across the membrane then becomes normal again and the membrane is repolarised. However so many potassium ions leave the axon that the inside of the axon becomes more negative than the resting potential causing the membrane to be hyperpolarised causing potassium ion channels to close. the sodium potassium pump then restores the resting potential (refractory period).

lol sorry about the long answer but here's a harder question :smile:. How does an action potential travel across a synapse ?

Thats a very detailed response , you don't need as much info as that buddy :smile: but you do know your stuff!

Impulse arrives at synaptic knob
Potential difference changes in the synaptic knob
Voltage gated calcium ion channels open
Calcium ions diffuse into the axon.
Calcium ions bind onto the vesicles containing the neurotransmitter acetylcholine
Vesicles bind to the pre-synaptic membrane
Leave by exocytosis
Acetylcholine binds on complementary receptors on the post synaptic membrane
Sodium ion channels open on post synaptic membrane
Sodium ions diffuse down the synaptic cleft
Sodium ions enter the post synaptic membrane.

Describe how glucose is selectively reabsorbed from the tubule fluid and returned to the blood (3)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by DudeBoy
Alcohol is absorbed via the duodenum, it flows into the liver via the portal vein (I think). Alcohol is broken down by enzymes to form Acetalhyde + 2H. Acetalhyde is then converted futrher by ALDH into an Acetyl radical +H.

What text book do you use?
I'm not familiar with Acetly radical , I think your over complicating yourself!
Original post by BioGeek
Thats a very detailed response , you don't need as much info as that buddy :smile: but you do know your stuff!

Impulse arrives at synaptic knob
Potential difference changes in the synaptic knob
Voltage gated calcium ion channels open
Calcium ions diffuse into the axon.
Calcium ions bind onto the vesicles containing the neurotransmitter acetylcholine
Vesicles bind to the pre-synaptic membrane
Leave by exocytosis
Acetylcholine binds on complementary receptors on the post synaptic membrane
Sodium ion channels open on post synaptic membrane
Sodium ions diffuse down the synaptic cleft
Sodium ions enter the post synaptic membrane.

haha I'm sorry you had to read all that ! I'll make my answer shorter next time :smile: great answer btw ! couldn't spot a single flaw tbh here's another one: what's the function of the synapse? give as many answers as you can and give me a question back :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by BioGeek
What text book do you use?
I'm not familiar with Acetly radical , I think your over complicating yourself!

I just go off my teachers notes, your probably right, looking at past papers most are 1 or 2 marks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DudeBoy

I think you mean Acetaldhyde? I learnt the detoxification of alcohol as this:
alcohol dehydrogenase catalyses the breakdown of alcohol into acetaldehyde and the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase converts it to acetate which enters the krebs cycle and 2 reduced NAD are formed in the process.

so ethanol from alcohol becomes ethanal (by alcohol dehydrogenase) and then converted to ethanoate (by aldehyde dehydrogenase). hope this cleared things up ?
Reply 77
alcohol dehydrogenase catalyses the breakdown of alcohol into acetaldehyde and the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase converts it to acetate which enters the krebs cycle and 2 reduced NAD are formed in the process.

so ethanol from alcohol becomes ethanal (by alcohol dehydrogenase) and then converted to ethanoate (by aldehyde dehydrogenase). hope this cleared things up ?

Yeah that rings a bell! ty

If you don't mind me asking, what revision techniques are you using?
Reply 78

If I was answering this question I would simply put this.

Ethanol/Alchohol is broken down by the enzyme ethanol dehydrogenase , it then forms a compound called ethanal. Ethanal is then broken down by the enzyme ethanal dehydrogenase.
This then forms acetate or known as ethanoate. Ethanoate is then used in respiration. Acety coenzme A binds to acetate/ethanoate and hydrogen ions are given off in the process.
The coenzyme NAD reduces the reaction and collects the hydrogens and becomes reduced NAD.
Original post by DudeBoy
Yeah that rings a bell! ty

If you don't mind me asking, what revision techniques are you using?

I tend to use sticky notes to write notes which I stick around my room and I copy notes out of books and condense them down and write them in a way which isn't similar to normal writing (so i write like rubbish basically which no1 except myself can read) so it sticks better in my mind haha sounds bit crazy I know ! but testing yourself often and teaching things to other people helps a lot too !
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending