The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships that REQUIRE A-Levels?

Hello

I'm in my second year at college doing A-Levels in Business Studies, Media Studies and IT.
I'm predicted an A in all of them.
I'm going to apply for uni but I'm not really sure if I want to go and I don't have a particular career aspiration in mind so I was thinking of applying for an apprenticeship as well so I can decide later on etc.

Most of the apprenticeships I've looked at require either only GCSEs/equivalent or no qualifications and I'd rather find one that actually asks for A-Levels, otherwise it would seem a bit pointless working hard in my A-Levels if I don't even need them for an apprenticeship.

Does anyone know of any websites/companies etc. that offer apprenticeships where the entry requirements include A-Level qualifications?

Hello,

Firstly, and I think most importantly, your A-levels will never be a waste of time - the same as any qualification won't be. So to answer your question...

Basically, an Apprenticeship is a learning based job. You start at the very bottom and learn everything you need to during your allocated time (2-3 years is the normal for an advanced apprenticeship) and then go on to be qualified in your chosen subject with experience AND qualifications!

The need for A-levels and such are great to have, but not entirely asked for when starting as an apprentice.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Depends what you want to do. I'd still study for A-levels unless you plan on doing a Higher Apprenticeship, in which case, you won't need to, and you can then study for a HNC/HND and eventually a full degree.

I'd finish them off with those grades, though. Your A-levels will always be there. You can try an Apprenticeship for a year or two afterwards then apply for University after the time out. I myself will be finishing an Apprenticeship come January/February time, then going to University in 2013. The experience is fantastic.
(edited 11 years ago)
I did A levels, got 3 As, then went on to do an apprenticeship in marketing. The course was boring but the experience I gained was invaluable and I just got a much better paid job this year, actually, based on the experience I learned in my apprenticeship.

When you get out into the 'real world' you realise qualifications mean very little.
Reply 4
Hi,

Yes there are companies that offer apprenticeships who need a-levels as a requirement - I work for one such company. They are generally called higher apprenticeships or (since we have apprenticeships which lead to a degree) undergraduate apprenticeships.

My company generally looks for engineers, but we also have a higher apprenticeship in supply chain and logistics & engineering programme planning. If you're interested, look around and see what's out there in your area. You'll be surprised the different forms that apprenticeships take these days. They are all structured with proper frameworks etc, you won't just be making tea like the old cliche's...

James
Reply 5
I am also in a Higher Traineeship at the moment. There are plenty about (they usually have a start date in January or September) so look around early and apply early. Plenty of firms do them. Banks and Accounting firms (PwC, Deloitte etc) , Aggregates/Quarrying/Mining Management (Hanson, Tarmac, Cemec etc) , Retail, Engineering Firms (Siemens, National Grid, National Rail etc), Royal Mail, Supermarkets (Marketing, Logistics, Buying & Selling etc), London Underground (Engineering & ICT etc) and Telecoms (BT and Telefonica etc). Theres a few ideas, I know for a fact there is more out there. Best of luck to you.
Reply 6
Second the higher apprenticeships suggested on here, definitely look into then as level 4 and above qualifications can be gained from these.
Hi my name is Hannah and I was in exactly the same boat as you last year. Everyone around me was applying to UCAS and I still hadn't decided if I wanted to go to University!
I found out about the Logica Sponsored Degree Programme in Business Management which was great for me as I really wanted to continue earning money and moving up the career ladder rather than putting it on hold for 3/4 years at University.

Our programme requires 300 UCAS points (although we are independent from UCAS) which is BBB or equivalent at A-Level. This could be something to put your A-Levels to good use in! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks, Hannah :smile:
Reply 8
Hello im in my first year of doing my A levels and wanted to know how i apply for this apprenticeship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending