The Student Room Group

Disabled Students FAQ (Under Construction)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ask your school to write a reference explaining the effect it has had on your studies. Get this supported by a Doctor who is prepared to say you have ME and what it causes. The uni don't HAVE to accept mitigating circumstances, but the letter and reference won't do you any harm.
Reply 21
Ethereal
I'm pushing for a Disabled Students sub-forum so we can reach as many people as possible.

ah brilliant :smile: :p:
Reply 22
Feex
Hiya. I have a quickie question. I have a disability, but its not really one that affects my education. I had congenital cataracts (now removed) and this lead to me developing glaucoma in both eyes. However this hasn't affected my education at all (though it is supposed to). I attended a mainstream school, and simply wear normal glasses to improve my vision. I do however, have as statment of special needs. Would universities and my LEA still regard this as a disability?

Oooh snap!

I applied because I was entitled to regular disability allowance. I sent a paper saying I'm 'officially' partially sighted and told them I have glaucoma and get treatment. Will they want more than that?
Reply 23
It's unlikely, as you have an offical diagnosis saying you are partially sighted.
Reply 24
Anyone else wanting to murder their LEA at the moment? Mine is driving me crazy, I went for a needs assessment back in March so that I could get essential equipment in time for starting Uni and I rang them the other day and they still haven't checked my evidence that I am disabled, I feel like I want to go down to their offices so they can see for themselves! And until they check my evidence they won't send me quotes for equipment so I can't order anything.

Their response was "We'll tryto get the equipment before you start," but try isn't really good enough in my opinion, I'm not asking for equipment because I might need it, I actually do! Is it really possible to order all the equipment (laptop, table etc) in less than a month? It's really stressing me out!

Sorry for my rambling! Just needed to vent. Oh and also my Uni have allocated my room to someone else *sigh* it's all going a bit pear-shaped at the moment.
Reply 25
I suggest you try getting in contact with your university's disability support service. They did all the work getting my LEA to supply computer equipment for me: much less stressful! They also should know of any potential problems that you might have when you start uni, so that they can help you as much as possible.
From my experience, letting people know is a good idea. Loads of people only ask for help when they get to the point that they really really need it, but the disability advisors always say that they can help before this and they are an amazing support.

I don't know if this will work for other people, but I found that when I was more open with what I had, I didn't feel like an outsider. People are actually pretty mature about it and want to understand you. It depends on how comfortable you are obviously, but if you can share it with even a few people it may really help.
Clarepink -

ME is counted as a disabilty, and as mitigating circumstances. You can apply for the DSA, which is helpful for gettimg study aids and supports which can help.

You may be eligable for extra time in exams aswell so it may be advisable to contact your disability advisor at uni to discuss how they can help you.

I've had ME for over 6 yrs now, so feel free to PM me. It gets easier if you let people know I've found.
Hi all,

I've been told that universities offer help for people like me with dyslexia but I'm having problems finding any information about what help you can get and where from. The only things I have found so far are all about physical disabilities which isn't relevant and the prospectus' don't mention anything just their "equality and diversity" policies???
Ucas is pretty poor too and doesn't help.

It'd be great if anyone could help. I'm just wanting to know what support etc I can get.
I'm going to a couple of open days v.soon so hopefully I'll get some info there on what they offer.

Does anyone know if I have to "declare" it anywhere in my ucas application? Like do I have to write it on my personal statement or is there a section for it to go in? I'm quite happy for the university to know, as I need the extra support!
Reply 29
There's a section for it on your UCAS form.

You can apply for Disabled Students Allowance for any equipment your Dyslexia causes you to need.

Support is wide ranging, so I'd be loathe to give details. You can expect study support though. The best thing to do is to email the Disability offices at the university you're interested in and ask them what sort of support you would get there. The answer might help you decide between unis.
thank you lovie, rep for you...tho I'm sure it won't do a lot with me being a newbie, he he.
Reply 31
tomdude644
Hi, I was diagnosed with 'mild dyslexia' a year ago. I thought it wasn't bad enough to exploit extra time for my A-levels, so I didn't bother. I got AABB (marginally) in my A-levels, but the course at LSE (Actuarial science) require AAA. Do you think I should put it in the disability section on my UCAS form or just give it a little mention on my PS? (It's too late to put it on my reference for a particular reason).

Put it in the section on the UCAS form as it will allow the unis to know you may need extra support. Don't mention it in your PS as it will look like

a) you are using it as an excuse
b) you are dwelling on it

Do you think AABB would be acceptable for this course, if not, would mentioning my dyslexia lower the entry requirement?

You need to make contact with the admissions tutor directly and ask them.
Reply 32
I honestly think not enough is done to raise the awareness of the help Disabled Students can get.
So far I haven't had any lower offers due to my dyslexia so you've gotta just work work work and get what they want!

I'm currently running for Vice President Further Education NUS, if I get the position next year I'm intending to work closely with the Disabled Students Officer on pushing for a number of things to help FE students with dyslexia/dyspraxia.
Reply 34
stormzstarrz
So far I haven't had any lower offers due to my dyslexia so you've gotta just work work work and get what they want!

I'm currently running for Vice President Further Education NUS, if I get the position next year I'm intending to work closely with the Disabled Students Officer on pushing for a number of things to help FE students with dyslexia/dyspraxia.

Why just those conditions?
Because I know the problems linked with these conditions that students face in FE instiutions. I'm not implying I'm not commited in helping others my any means!
Reply 36
I didn't mean the question in a criticising way. What I meant was are you limited by the institution to ony focus on one or two conditions?
Reply 37
btw, have we argued our way to a sub-forum for Disabled Student issues yet seeing as how we seem to have grown one where people can have their say which I would have thought is what D&D is for. Call me a cynic but ...
I'm not limited at all. But you have to understand I'm running for VP-FE, not the disabled students officer, so...undoubtedly I will work with him closely on other issues, but I put my hands up and say I don't know everything about the unique problems FE disabled students face.
I have "absence epilepsy", this means that I get small seizures in which very little of me is effected. Essentially, I black out mentally for anything between 1 or 2 seconds to half a minute. When this happens I lose track of conversation and often become disorientated. I am on medication for this but the attacks have not ceased completly. Should I inform the uni? Can I get anything so that if and when they do happen, it won't matter because there is some kind of record of the seminar/lecture/whatever? Does this entitle me to disability allowance? I have a million and one questions ARGH!

Quick Reply

Latest