The Student Room Group

Disabled Students FAQ (Under Construction)

Scroll to see replies

Ethereal
Has anyone told you you're entitled to one of the free bus passes and also a disabled persons railcard because you've lost your licence by way of medical refusal?

I am, yes. Fortunately, I can walk to Uni, and Tom is good to me in that sense. Most people know that I sometimes need a lift (e.g. one of my mates would pick me up on his way to work, even though he had to go out of his way). I don't really need one, and last time I tried to apply (I lived a lot further out), they were getting all picky about the proof I tried to send them from the DVLA. I might do it again soon though... depends if I get another job.

(Oh, and I have the Natwest railcard; it saves the same amount, and you can't use both anyway :wink:)
Reply 61
Ice_Queen
(Oh, and I have the Natwest railcard; it saves the same amount, and you can't use both anyway :wink:)

There aren't as many restrictions on the disabled person's card. And you can bring a companion who also gets the discount.
Titch89
There aren't as many restrictions on the disabled person's card. And you can bring a companion who also gets the discount.

I've never encountered any restrictions :confused: The companion thing sounds useful though!
Reply 63
hi, this may be a stupid question, i am deaf, i wear 2 hearing aids. i havent been in education since my hearing loss. at my uni they asked if i would need anything to help me, and i said no because i dont know if i would or what could help.

so i would be very grateful if any one could advise me as to what could make uni life easier and where i can buy any equitment that i might need..

i start in 2 weeks and its been worrying me for ages but ive been to busy worrying about student finance
Reply 64
pinkpear
hi, this may be a stupid question, i am deaf, i wear 2 hearing aids. i havent been in education since my hearing loss. at my uni they asked if i would need anything to help me, and i said no because i dont know if i would or what could help.

so i would be very grateful if any one could advise me as to what could make uni life easier and where i can buy any equitment that i might need..

i start in 2 weeks and its been worrying me for ages but ive been to busy worrying about student finance

Have you applied for disabled students allowance (DSA ? They can help make recommendations (such as a BSL interpretator) to help make university easier for you.
Reply 65
Hi,
I have a hearing impairment and am applying for the DSA, but how much support do you really get at university? In my letter of support it says what i may require but is it all granted??
Original post by sweetmango
Hi,
I have a hearing impairment and am applying for the DSA, but how much support do you really get at university? In my letter of support it says what i may require but is it all granted??

No, it's not all granted. What support you can get depends on the university you are going to, so to find out exactly what is available you need to check the university's websites and/or contact their disability support service.
Hi, I was wondering whether anybody could help me.
I am currently applying for my Student Finance for uni and printed off one of the Disability Grant form things and it said that I couldn't apply for the allowance if I was applying for any course funded by the NHS, etc.
When I had applied for my course (the School of Applied Sciences Extended Degree at Northumbria Uni), the teacher doing my reference told me to change it to the option that said something about medical boards.
However, I am not too sure whether it is partially funded. Could anybody explain why I seemingly cannot apply for the allowance/ grant?
Also, would anyone happen to know if the after effects of a brain operation (memory loss, weight problems due to steroids, etc), would count for anything?
:dontknow:
Thanks
Original post by Peregrinum
No, it's not all granted. What support you can get depends on the university you are going to, so to find out exactly what is available you need to check the university's websites and/or contact their disability support service.

utter rubbish!
The DSA assessment is independent of the university and is based on the assessor's views of your needs
Original post by hypocriticaljap
utter rubbish!
The DSA assessment is independent of the university and is based on the assessor's views of your needs

Learn some functional reading. The question I (correctly!) answered doesn't have anything to do with the (in)dependence of the assessment. Your statement is true, but it doesn't in any way rebut mine because it doesn't have anything to do with it or the question I answered.
Reply 70
I too have ME. I really want to study occupational therapy but this involves a fitness test. Do you know how much this could effect the test? I am now very used to managing it. Also the course involves placements, which is worrying me
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sweetmango
Hi,

Once you are assessed your assessment is sent for approval. If approved you are entitled to everything on the recommendation.

Ignore other uninformed posts.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
Hi, applying for University finance this year coming ..
I don't know what I am supposed to do to apply for disability allowance, I have a mental health problem, and my psychiatrist told me I can apply for it, but I don't know what to do .. help please ? :s-smilie:
Reply 73
Original post by wisey9
Hi, applying for University finance this year coming ..
I don't know what I am supposed to do to apply for disability allowance, I have a mental health problem, and my psychiatrist told me I can apply for it, but I don't know what to do .. help please ? :s-smilie:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/EducationAndTraining/HigherEducation/DG_10034898
Reply 74
I need help. All med students will all get NHS bursary right? If so am I still eligible to apply for DSA? This form says I can't apply (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/EducationAndTraining/HigherEducation/DG_10034898) whereas Google brought me this http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/students/969.aspx and this http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/students/documents/students/DSA1.pdf so I'm really confused! Help would be appreciated.
Original post by ViceVersa
I need help. All med students will all get NHS bursary right? If so am I still eligible to apply for DSA? This form says I can't apply (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/EducationAndTraining/HigherEducation/DG_10034898) whereas Google brought me this http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/students/969.aspx and this http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/students/documents/students/DSA1.pdf so I'm really confused! Help would be appreciated.

You apply for DSA through the same body as your other finance.
Reply 76
Original post by ViceVersa

I've just had my assessment and the funding body is Student Finance England, so apply through them- we only get NHS support in 5th/6th year of medicine.
Reply 77
Hi, I have an elbow/arm impairment (lacking strength/range of motion/endurance) and I have to have rest breaks in my exams because of this but it also affects daily life e.g. sports, dressing myself, shopping, cooking, carrying things, lifting things, reaching etc. I'm still being seen at the hospital and having physio and I'm involved in a lawsuit regarding the circumstances in which I got this impairment. Anyway, I haven't been declared or anything as having a disability except one mention of the word in a medical report and the doctors all think my injury will be permanent. Should I declare this as a disability on UCAS/apply for DSA?
Reply 78
Original post by Etoile
Hi, I have an elbow/arm impairment (lacking strength/range of motion/endurance) and I have to have rest breaks in my exams because of this but it also affects daily life e.g. sports, dressing myself, shopping, cooking, carrying things, lifting things, reaching etc. I'm still being seen at the hospital and having physio and I'm involved in a lawsuit regarding the circumstances in which I got this impairment. Anyway, I haven't been declared or anything as having a disability except one mention of the word in a medical report and the doctors all think my injury will be permanent. Should I declare this as a disability on UCAS/apply for DSA?

If it affects your ability to perform day to day activities (e.g. shopping, carrying, lifting, dressing) then it will likely count as a disability and you should be eligible for DSA. The condition may need to be chronic, in that it's lasted or expected to last at least six months, but it doesn't need to be permanent.

If you do have problems doing those daily acitivites it may also be worth applying for Disability Living Allowance. DSA will only pay for course-related costs and you may find that there is certain support you may need which DSA won't cover (but the money you are given through DLA will do). If you are successful DLA is paid direct to your account (the amount of money you receive will depend on your care and mobility needs) and you can spend the money how you see fit. It's a particularly useful benefit as, if you receive it, you may then be eligible for housing benefit and emploment and support allowance, as well as additional money with jobseekers allowance (should you ever need to sign on). Normally full time students aren't entitled to housing benefit or ESA but exceptions are made for certain groups, including those receiving DLA.

Obviously I'm not forcing you into applying for it, and it's quite a complex and stressful application process (as many legitimate claims get refused and you need to appeal) but I'm just putting it out there as yoy may be eligible.

Disabled Students Allowance, on the other hand, isn't a particularly stressful thing to apply for and is relatively straightforward.
Reply 79
Original post by River85
If it affects your ability to perform day to day activities (e.g. shopping, carrying, lifting, dressing) then it will likely count as a disability and you should be eligible for DSA. The condition may need to be chronic, in that it's lasted or expected to last at least six months, but it doesn't need to be permanent.

If you do have problems doing those daily acitivites it may also be worth applying for Disability Living Allowance. DSA will only pay for course-related costs and you may find that there is certain support you may need which DSA won't cover (but the money you are given through DLA will do). If you are successful DLA is paid direct to your account (the amount of money you receive will depend on your care and mobility needs) and you can spend the money how you see fit. It's a particularly useful benefit as, if you receive it, you may then be eligible for housing benefit and emploment and support allowance, as well as additional money with jobseekers allowance (should you ever need to sign on). Normally full time students aren't entitled to housing benefit or ESA but exceptions are made for certain groups, including those receiving DLA.

Obviously I'm not forcing you into applying for it, and it's quite a complex and stressful application process (as many legitimate claims get refused and you need to appeal) but I'm just putting it out there as yoy may be eligible.

Disabled Students Allowance, on the other hand, isn't a particularly stressful thing to apply for and is relatively straightforward.

Thanks :smile: It's lasted 2 years already so I guess that counts as chronic! For DSA, when do I apply for it? I'm sending off my UCAS form in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest